Quantcast

Non-Automotive Discussions

Non-automotive related topics. A topic posted in here does not have to be Automotive related. Members can discuss whatever they want in here!

302 topics in this forum

• 37 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 6 replies
  1. Joke of the Day 1 2 3

• 107 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
  2. Merry Christmas

• 1 reply
  3. Checkin In

• 7 replies
  4. Too funny

• 0 replies
    • 1 reply
  5. Women Are Like Bacon

• 0 replies
  6. THE CARS THAT MADE AMERICA

• 0 replies
  7. MEN ARE JUST HAPPY PEOPLE

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 57 replies
  8. HOW DO YOU TAKE YOUR COFFEE

• 14 replies
  9. Frequent Flyer Miles

• 1 reply
  10. He died. Now what?

• 1 reply
    • 10 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 61 replies
    • 9 replies
  11. Fishing Season!

• 14 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies
  12. Is 2016 the year?

• 9 replies
    • 2 replies
  13. Emergency Service

• 2 replies
  14. My wooden air engine.

• 9 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  15. Firearm Packing!

• 14 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
  16. Redskins

• 5 replies
  17. stupid hurts

• 1 reply
    • 5 replies
    • 3 replies
  18. BACK SEAT DRIVERS

• 1 reply
  19. Broken Leg!

• 30 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies
  20. It is a Ford!

• 3 replies
  21. Social Security

• 1 reply
  22. When it rains, it pours

• 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies

• Upcoming Events

• Latest Posts

• In my 40 years as a shop owner, I have battled the age old dilemma: Is it my car count, my customer count or some other reason why some weeks I find it hard to hit my sales goal.   It always comes down to production.  Now that's really simplifying it, I know.   But, when you look at the numbers, with the right jobs and a balanced schedule, the ARO goes way up and car counts become not as important as we thought.  Another thing to consider, this is not 1995. Cars do not come in 5 to 6 times a year for an Oil Change Service.   You are lucky to see some customers every 10,000 miles as they wait for that Oil Change Percentage light on their dashboard to tell them...NOW IT"S OK TO GO TO YOUR REPAIR SHOP. Isn't it funny how so many people will listen to the dash board light, and not you! Anyway, what are your thoughts.  How do you reach your weekly sales goals and what KPI's are important to you? 
    • We too are not seeing many techs or service advisors looking for employment.  Which is strange since the vast majority of techs that lost their jobs during the COVID-19 crisis were dealer techs and service advisors. 
    • As of the end of July, we are busy, and hitting the numbers we did last year. In fact, we ended June and July better than last year. I don't think we can make up for the losses we had in Feb, Mar and April for 2020, but all that really matters is realigning our goals and moving forward.  From what I hear from on the streets, most repair shops are doing fine, collision shops are doing better and it's mixed with new car dealers.   Traffic also seems to be almost back to normal.   If we can ahead of this virus, we will be ok. As I stated before, my only fear is that many main street businesses such as restaurants, are still struggling along with some major industries, such as hotels and airlines.   I would continue to be cautious, keep building up your reserve cash and be very careful how you spend your money in the near future.  
    • I started using Shop-Ware earlier this year and am very happy with them. They are responsive to suggestions and quick to respond if you have issues or questions. I would recommend them. I wouldn’t consider a management program that wasn’t cloud based. I’m an Apple person and so no worries what I log on with it’s going to work. 
    • I've used CCC One at a body shop and loved it once we figured out it's many complexities. More recently, I've used Shop-Ware at a service shop and really liked it. Not at first, but they've done an excellent job at releasing updates based on what shop owners are asking for and in the past year, it's grown into a great platform.
    • This is the first time in 33 years that I didn't get one single applicant. Not even the usual unqualified people are trying. 
    • The only people who have been applying at my shop are the people that did not qualify for unemployment because they were terminated with justification. Anyone I have spoken to that was laid off and eligible for unemployment is making too much to sit at home. In Colorado you just have to check a box on a computer every week, no need to submit any info proving your trying to get hired.
    • Any plan to pay a worker more money to stay home than what they normally would earn for working is a plan destined for unintended consequences and grossly unfair to everyone who goes to work every day. The excuse for wanting to stay home is fear of contracting Covid and there are certainly workers who have underlying heath conditions that predispose them to a poorer outcome should they contract it. How can anyone justify rewarding people who decide to stay home? If you fail to go to work for a justified reason you should receive benefits that are based on your current earnings (which the government has access to). Assuming you are afraid but otherwise healthy the benefit should be reduced for the following reasons: Since you are staying home you have no gas, tolls or bridge expenses. If you are staying home you have no child care expenses. Entertainment expenses should be zero since you are afraid to go to work you should also be afraid to expose yourself to what little entertainment we now have. Cell phones, cable tv (in particular all premium channels) are not essential and should be cancelled. Steaks, shrimp and lobster needs to be quickly replaced with rice, hot dogs and beans. The landscaper, window cleaner, painter etc. needs to be cancelled since you are home and have more than enough time to complete those tasks yourself.