Quantcast

How have you dealt with lawyers?

If you have ever had a controversy with anyone that has require you to hire a lawyer, how did you handle it? What would you do different?

About 20 years ago I got sued, had to hire a lawyer that turn out more crooked than a mountain road. Through that painful experience, I came across JURISDICTIONARY http://www.howtowinincourt.com/?refercode=CH0004

From what I learned from that course, I became interested in legislation and political systems. In looking for understanding, I came across these people and their take on what is the United States:

http://www.notmygovernment.us/home/

Very interesting information, indeed.

How has this affected me as a business owner? Simple, now I know how to direct lawyers and attorneys in my business dealings. Very liberating indeed.

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By bantar
      Started a new thread based on a comment from:  Are you paying your employees what they deserve?
      Thanks to CTC who warned that we need to be Compliant in our pay plans, I called the Dallas Office of the Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division to check on my compliance.   Very friendly and knowledgeable.  Didn't even ask who I was.  I encourage you to call.  However, what she said was super-complicated if it's the first time that you've heard it.  It still hurt my head on today's call.   The goal of this message is to explain OT calculations and then to explain the flat rate pay as related to OT.   I'm only presenting this to give you background before you call W&H yourself.    I'm not an expert on W&H.
      This focuses on non-salaried employees who are eligible for OT payments.  
      Background:
      In general, OT pay is more complicated if you have variable pay plans (bonuses or extra payments).   Regular hourly folks working OT get 1.5 times their "regular rate" (which is the same as their hourly rate).    If they don't get any extra pay, this is easily computed.  
      When variable pay is involved, we need to know how much the employee is really making this week.   That is, we must calculate their "Regular Rate" because the variable pay (bonuses) increases their normal hourly rate.   When we pay OT, we must pay 1.5 times their "Regular Rate".    This is a protection for the employees to ensure that they are being fairly paid even though their pay rate varies week to week.
      Regular Rate Computation:
      Figure out the employee's total compensation for this week (we are ignoring OT for this calculation).  Divide this by the total hours worked this week. This is their regular rate for THIS week. For example:   Joe makes $10/hr and earned $100 bonus this week while working 50 hours.   His total pay for the week is $10 * 50 hours + $100 bonus = $500 + $100 = $600.   His Regular Rate is $600/50 hours = $12/hr.   When you pay him OT, you will be paying him 10 hours * 12 Regular Rate/hr * 1.5 = $180.   This is added to his base rate of 40 hours * $10/hr, so this week, he makes $400 + 180 = $580 + $100 bonus = $680 total pay.
      There is a shortcut to computing regular rate that I find faster to compute.   Just take the variable pay (bonus) and divide it by the hours worked.   $100 bonus/50 hours = $2/hr   Joe's Regular Rate is $10+$2=$12/hr.   His overtime rate is $12 * 1.5 = $18 (instead of $15). 
      Using ADP (and other payroll systems):
      For employees that are getting OT with variable pay, I create a separate pay line in my payroll.   Line 1 is 40 hours at their normal hourly rate.  Line 2 is OT hours at Regular rate.   The payroll software multiplies the regular rate * 1.5 to calculate their OT pay.
      Regular Pay Line:  40 Hours @ $10/hr OT Pay Line: 10 Hours @ $12/hr Flat Rate:
      Per W&H, Flat Rate still requires OT pay if more than 40 hours are worked.  Therefore, we are required to compute a "Regular Rate" to pay OT.    This means we need time clock records.   W&H suggested a few different ways of computing it for Flat Rate employees (one was a weighted average, but I didn't dig into this).   Also, minimum wage must be adhered to as well.
      I threw a few examples of pay (flag bonuses, incentives, make-up hours, etc) at W&H and in the end, it didn't matter what the mix of payments were.   All payments are combined to compute a Regular Rate.  This can be bonuses for flagged hours or bonuses for sales or it could be 20 hours of flag and 20 hours of guaranteed pay (to equal 40 hours).   What mattered was how many hours did the non-salaried worker work?   What is their regular rate?   Pay OT using the Regular Rate.

• By CAautogroup
      Hello all,

We used to get paid for used motor oil (pre-COVID19). However, lately we are being charged for pick up and transport. We go through approximately 500-700 gallons per month. 
      Do you guys currently get paid or are paying for used motor oil and oil filter pick up? Our shop is located in Texas. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      I was attending a recent TECH NET council meeting a few weeks back and one of the topics discussed was Exit Strategies. One of the members spoke about finding a key person in your company, if there is no one in your family to consider.

There are many shop owners out there that are near retirement. It would be a good idea to share a few ideas. I know many shop owners may not even have a plan. My lawyer approached me about a year ago and insisted that I sit down with him to plan out my future. I am 59, been in business for 34 years and been in the auto repair business since high school. If your story is similar to mine, it's something we need to start planning.

Thoughts? Comments?

• By carmcapriotto
      Advancing the Aftermarket. Of late there has been a lot of dialogue around my circles about being paid for the value you give and bring to your customer. I recently saw a survey of shops whose sales averaged $750,000 yet their net operating profit was only 2%. That is only a $15,000 average net operating income before tax. This troubling stat begs the question: How do you continue to invest in the business and even provide a living wage for you and your team at that level of profit? 98.9% of shop owners that I asked about raising their labor rate told me that they were the one who was most affected by the change. (their hesitancy and the pressure is all unjust)
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee  
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      With so many baby boomer shop owners retiring, there is great opportunity for shop owners looking to add new locations. In addition, there are many shop owners that have not survived the COVID crises.   
      Is anyone looking to open new locations?  If so, it would be interesting to hear your strategy and the reasons why.
      Oh, if you are wondering If I am thinking about expanding. The answer is no.  I had three locations, down to one now, and I am close to announcing exciting news very soon. So Stay Tuned.

• Our Sponsors