Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Non-Business Related Discussions

Forums

1. Non-Automotive Discussions

Non-automotive related topics. A topic posted in here does not have to be Automotive related. Members can discuss whatever they want in here!

News in the automotive industry. Open for any member to post. Please post a source link to the news within your topic if its from a 3rd party site.

Introduce yourself to the community! Here you can start a new thread, to say hello to the community, and let everyone know that you are onboard!

Here you will will find announcements and information from the staff at AutoShopOwner.

• Upcoming Events

• Latest Posts

• We are at the NAPA Expo joined by the 2022 Napa Technician of the Year, Meg Lewis. She is the first female winner and is a huge advocate for automotive training and reaching the youth in schools. I’m also joined by Matt Fanslow from the Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast. We discuss goals, passions, work-life balance and advice to women in the industry. Meg Lewis, BJ’s Automotive Diagnostic Center, Belfast, ME, NAPA Auto Care Technician of the Year 2022 Key Talking Points Advocate for automotive training- starting as young as you can with schools, especially nurturing women Motivation- her Dad, Meg was tinkering with cars “Tinkerbell” and she expressed interest and fascination. Natural curiosity.  Worked previously in hospitality- learned customer service quickly  Goal-oriented person- be a technician and own her own shop as an endgame. The succession plan will be complete in 5 years as owner.  What do you love to do in the bays? Gets thrill from fixing something that is broken and helping customers.  Tool share program with local BDG group  Work-life balance- Meg’s two kids have always been supportive, brings kids to events  Advice- surround yourself with people that support you and your passions Attracting new hires- incentive program with basic knowledge in automotive, providing training/tools/toolbox to get them in the door. Growing your own technician.  ASE exams- tool for showing areas of improvement  Being the ‘winner’ shouldn't matter if you are a man or a woman  Advice to women- don’t be discouraged; you will face challenges. It will make you stronger   Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network   Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com     Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • I don't know how many of you know any blacksmiths, but the ones out there are in high demand and they write there own tickets! 
    • Great perspective! Our current administration should contact people like you!  The economics involved to invest in the future of a typical gas station, especially to replace underground tanks, is overwhelming to many.  Even with this big push for EVs, there are so many hurdles to overcome.   The blacksmith analogy is something I agree with. However, many smart blacksmiths became our first auto technicians and repair shops.   
    • It certainly seems that our current administration would love to see the EV’s dominate our country as soon as possible. They fail to acknowledge regardless of the fact that the required infrastructure of charging stations fail to exist. Hour many current repair facilities have the required training and expertise to repair EV’s? This push to replace internal combustion vehicles will no doubt cause some unintended consequences. Many underground storage tanks were replaced during 1980’s to meet new, stricter, Underground Storage Tank regulations. These 40 year old tanks will need to be replaced again very soon. How many locations will be willing to invest $400,000 to $500,000 to remove and replace their tanks knowing the uncertainty of the business? Due to the current high cost to purchase an electric vehicle, the affluent areas will see the change over to EV’s sooner than lower income areas. Expect to see low volume stations that are located in affluent areas closing rather than risk high debt with little or no chance of recouping their investment. I feel like a blacksmith watching the first horseless carriages roll into town. The strong will survive but there will be many casualties along the way.
    • You bring up a great point! Way back, it was easier to tool up for most makes and models, the training was available, and the technical information was also pretty much available.   Fast forward to today: the amount of specialized training, tools, equipment, and information needed is mind-blowing, compared to what it was. 
    • Since no one answered your question, I will give it ago, how about you take his pay for the three weeks prior to his vacation, use that to generate a daily average pay at that time, then pay him that daily average for his days off.
    • Very innovative!  Also shows the employee that you are thinking of him. 
    • If the particular make you specialize in is popular in your area it COULD work. I am managing a shop now that is tied to a used car facility. New operation and we are gearing up to service what we sell. The owner wants to follow that matra but is hesitant to invest in the necessary equipment. I am looking into the Opus systems which I believe will give us about 95 percent coverage. Specialty tools could be an issue but that will be an as need purchase. It's not gonna be easy.