Quantcast

bantar

He died. Now what?

This post is a mini-how-to that some might find useful on the topic of Password managers.  If you are already using one, skip this.   In another thread, @Marksas said: 

Another thing to remember if you create all this stuff then you need to have great notes for your spouse so they can follow it should you get hit by a truck tonight. I keep and encrypted document that is updated pretty much daily of every web log on, every account, company information, points of contacts and any important information. She has a hard copy which also has the information of where the live document is stored with the most up to date information. My daughter has a copy also and pretty much is a signer on all bank accounts. Part of the struggle of being a business owner is that everyone tells you how to make money and then when you do it gets a little more complicated in trying to figure how to keep it.

This is a great practice and in my case very-very important, because when I die, the business needs to be sold.   My wife can't run it and my kids don't want to run it.   She can probably keep it afloat for a very short period.    So, I too keep an encrypted file and in this file, there's an entry entitled "Brian Died.  Now what?".   I've left a printed piece of paper in a known safe spot that says to open Keepass and find this entry.   It is a roadmap of what to do, who to contact and everything else that needs to remain confidential.   The first item is the name of a business broker, then the life-insurance policy, etc.  Some of this can be printed, but the advantage of being here is that I can update it as needed and it's current.  Now, I'm a forward-thinking kind of guy, so in the URL field, I've left my new address:  http://www.heaven.com.   (I sure don't want to have to do an address change).

I use a program called Keepass (http://keepass.info/).  It is an open-source password manager.   For the longest time, I avoided these tools like the plague to make sure that they are safe.  They are now at a mature stage.    Another similar and good tool is LastPass (https://www.lastpass.com/)  And there are others, but I've only used these two.   Lastpass might be easier for some to learn and use.   I can give you my encrypted password file and I'll be dead before you are able to break in if ever at all.    The great thing about these tools is that I have to remember one reasonably complex password and it stores a unique password for every site I visit.   I have well over 100 personal passwords in there now and it just keeps growing.   All of my passwords are 20 random characters unless the website won't take that many.  I don't worry about one password being stolen anymore.

I'm going to mention many downsides below that might seem daunting, but they are just learning challenges.  The upside is way better than all of these downsides.

There is a downside to using these tools.  You need to learn a new process to login.  And if you have to login via mobile phone, it's even harder still and also a different process.   But, once you learn these two methods, it's the same login procedure for every website you visit.    When I introduce people to this tool, I make them put 3-4 passwords in for sites that they might visit sometimes (Amazon, ebay, craigslist, whatever), but not often.   Then practice logging in and out over and over until they get it.   The reason for this practice session is that if you complicate their lives too much all at once, then it's an instant quit.  If they can't access a needed site right now, the tool is too complex.   I've gotten my dad and my father-in-law to both use this tool and they are both mostly computer illiterate.   My mom would burn the computer before trying to learn it.   After fighting it for over a year, my wife is finally almost on-board.   It's like breaking horses for many, but hey, even I started with a practice set.

There is one more downside to this type of tool and it's the typical startup issue.  You have 10's if not 100's of sites that you log into.  You will need to login to each and every one and change your password to take advantage of computer generated random passwords.   The good news is that you can do this ever so slowly, or in bulk, but still one at a time.   Just today, I found another site that I had a login and it wasn't in my database.  I updated my password file and changed the password on that site.   For this one, I had to issue a forgot my password request, then change it.   Now, I can't forget it.   The process to changing your password is different on every website.  Create the password entry in keepass, then copy the generated password to the website when it asks for a new password and save the changes.   I always follow this by logging out of the site and logging in again with this new generated password.  If I did it wrong, I know right away and fix it.

One more downside is that automation is spotty.  In other words, for some websites, I can click CTRL+ALT+A and my password is auto-filled.   On others this shortcut does not work.   In a number of cases, I think the webpage is purposely trying to defeat automation to protect itself from bots.  When the keyboard shortcut does not work, then I resort to drag-and-drop or copy and paste.  This always works, but it's more work.  If I'm teaching a novice, I prefer to have them use a method that ALWAYS works rather than letting them try to understand failure modes and yet another method.

In the password manager, one can create entries for anything, but mostly, one entry equals one website that you visit.   It has a shortcut name, your username, your password and a URL to the site.   It also has a notes section that lets you put freeform text.   For instance, you can note a PIN number associated with an account.  Or, sometimes they ask me silly questions that I will never remember the answer to, such as What was the color of your first dog?   I can just note Dog color: Blue in the notes and now it's remembered.   When I create entries that are not passwords, I just ignore the other fields.  Shortcut name and Notes is all I need for those.

The password file itself is stored in a cloud directory, such as Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive, etc.   This lets you access the same file from your phone, tablet, work computer or home computer.  You just need an internet connection.    Also, you can have a work password file and a home password file.   The work password can be shared with trusted managers and they only have access to what's provided in that file.  It allows you to run a robust password mechanism for your work remote logins.   The number one rule for password managers is:  DON'T lose the master password.  There are no second chances, such as I forgot my password.  Now, it's I forgot ALL of my passwords because they are locked away forever.  (Yep, I have a dead lastpass account, but luckily, it only had 1 or 2 test passwords).   I make backup copies every once in a while in addition to my normal backups (I'm paranoid).

If you've not tried a password manager, it's worth trying now.  Start with a small test.  Practice and don't give up.

Edited by bantar
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Today is Pearl Harbor Day- Let us all remember

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, which is annually on December 7, commemorates the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. Many American service men and women lost their lives or were injured on December 7, 1941. National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day.

By Joe Marconi, in AutoShopOwner Announcements

• 1 reply
    • Article: It's Doing The Same Thing --- Is it really????

It’s Doing the Same Thing             Being on the mechanic's side of the counter, I've  often wondered what does "the same thing" really mean?        Nearly every time a customer comes up to the service  counter, who has no background in automotive repair, or  any idea at all on how repairs are made and what's all  involved, but tells me, “It’s doing the same thing”,  I have  to ask myself… “How do they know?”  Is it really doing exactly  the same thing?  Funny, how it turns out (99.9% of the time),  that it’s NOT doing the same thing.            I hear this rhetoric from customers now and then, but when my wife starts in on me with the good ol' 'It's doing the same thing', now I'm more than a little curious.  Here's an example.        We were about to head on our vacation when the bulb warning light on the dash came on indicating one of the rear lights was out.  It was a side marker light on the driver’s side of the car. Easily changed and taken care of, and with all the commotion and last minute preparations, the warning light problem became a distant memory. So off we went on our little adventure.       Several states and hundreds of miles later while the wife was driving, and I was taking a nap, she nudges me and says, “It’s doing the same thing”.           Now I understand there is always the possibility that it really is doing the same thing, but really my dear … you’re married to a mechanic. Can we at least re-think how to inform me of such things?  Yes, the light on the dash is “doing the same thing”, but let’s try rephrasing it to the guy just waking up from a pleasant-no-stress-day-off.  How about: “The warning light is back on, dear.”  At least that way I won’t feel like I’m back at the shop trying to decipher the latest “doing the same thing” dilemma. I’m on vacation for heaven’s sake!            At the next stop I performed the usual "walk around" and noticed the passenger side marker light that was out this time.   Not to be outwitted by a little warning light, I gave the lens a little tap. Low and behold, the filament lit up, and off we went.           As we traveled down the road I had plenty of time to ponder how many times I’ve heard the phrase, “Doing the same thing”.  Over the years I’ve seen this escalate into complete madness at the front counter or end up with a tap on a bulb lens.  As in my wife’s case, the dash warning light could only indicate that a bulb was out and which end of the car it was.  However, when a customer lays down a chunk of their hard earned cash their interpretation doesn’t include the possibility of multiple issues controlled by the same warning light. From their perspective, it's doing the same thing.                  A few weeks ago I had a 1995 Saturn in the shop that had been all over town, as well as to every relative who owned a tool box.  No one seemed able to get the air conditioning to cool.  Part after part was changed, but still no cold air.  When I finally had a crack at it I was surprised at what I found.  The connector for the A/C compressor was exactly the same style and type as the low coolant level sensor mounted in the over-flow bottle.  Somebody had flip-flopped the connectors.  Once I found the problem the cure was simple… just reverse the connectors and “Ta-Da” cold air.  All the functions were working, cooling fan, line pressure, vent temperature, everything was great.  Even the “low coolant” light was operating correctly.                  But where would this story be without a 'It's doing the same thing' scenario.           A few weeks later I get a call, you guessed it… “Doing the same thing”.  Now, I’m no dummy, I know what they meant.  They're actually telling me that it's not making cold air again.  I informed them it was probably leaking refrigerant or something like that, but I seriously doubt somebody switched the connectors again.  They weren’t buying that, they kept insisting that it’s doing exactly the same thing as before. Even after reading the description of the repair on the invoice, and telling me they totally understood it… they still can't break away from the common reply... it's “Doing the same thing”.               This follows right along with the typical scenario right after changing out a blower motor for a customer and a week later they're back because their air conditioning isn’t cold. I’ll ask, “When did you notice the air wasn’t cold?”   The usual answer, “Right after you changed the blower motor.”           I should have a guy in the background with a drum set patiently waiting for me to ask, "So when did you notice the problem?" and when the customer delivers the inevitable punch line, the drummer could bang out the classic drum roll-rim tap and cymbal crash.  A priceless moment for every counter person.                  The way I see it, the consumer brought their car into a repair shop for a professional evaluation of a problem, and expect to never see a related or similar problem ever again.  But, as soon as the work is done and some other problem creeps up that seems to be more than a little bit like what they just had repaired, the mechanic is soon to have the same thing happen again.                  The fact that there are other things that can go wrong can be a huge mountain to climb. But, with some diplomacy, and tact, a good counterman can get through these situations.  One thing for sure, as the mechanic, you've got to get in there and solve the problem no matter if it's the same thing or not.  Generally, (from my past experiences) the same thing is hardly ever the 'same thing'.  The Saturn, was a faulty compressor due to the fact the last shop didn't add enough oil to the compressor, the replaced blower motor problem, was a faulty low pressure switch, and the wife's car, well... she hasn't had to tap on the bulb lens ever since.                     But to me.... it's all the same thing.  
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 3 replies
    • Profitability "sweet spot", is there such a thing?

Looking forward and thinking about business goals for the future, I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a sales volume, personnel, or facility sweet spot for profitability. I'm in a semi-retirement mode already, so having profits to spend is a priority over simply growing the business for growths sake. I really enjoy being in business and planning and reaching for goals, but wondering about what those goals for the business should be. I've reviewed some industry financial data without any clear conclusions, but I'm wondering what folks here think or have seen or experienced. A little about where I'm at currently. I started this business from scratch 7 years ago. We currently have 8 employees and did 1.3 in 2017. Any wisdom from you who have been doing this longer?  

By gandgautorepair, in General Automotive Discussion

• 21 replies
    • Article: Joe Friday Diagnostics - AGE check--remember Dragnet with Sgt. Joe Friday? Here's my version of the Sarge diagnosing a car

Joe Friday Diagnostics                                      "How would Sgt. Friday explain auto repair and diagnostics… que the music: "      The story you’re about to read is true; the names have been  changed to protect the innocent.       Monday morning, it was cold that day. I was working day shift out  of the repair division. There’s a suspicious vehicle at the front of the shop.   A customer walks in the door. I’ll take it from here.  I’m a mechanic, the name’s Friday.      It was a 2003 Ford, 5.4 liter, fully loaded and sounded like it was running rough.  The lady came to the counter.      “Good Morning ma’am, what can I do for you,” I said to the complaintant.      “Yes, I’m here about my car,” she answered.     “There’s a problem with the car, I see. What can you tell me about it?” I asked, in my usual non-threatening, but confident monotone voice.      “I was on my way to deliver my recyclables to the east side collection area, because I’m a concerned citizen you know, when my car started to make a coughing and clattering sound.  I thought I would bring it in to have it checked out,” the owner answered.     “Coughing and clattering, hmm, not a problem. I’ll get it investigated, I can interrogate the pursuant this morning, especially for a concerned citizen such as yourself,” I answered while maintaining my professionalism.     “Well, do you need any other information from me?” she asked.     “Just the facts ma’am, just the facts,” I said.     “The check engine light came on,” she reported.     “This could be of some help. Sounds like a possible 0300 (engine misfire).  But I’ll check it out first, I’ll need to finish my investigation in order to give you any proper results,” I said to her, while my pen was busy jotting down the facts onto the always present handy notepad.       She left the car with me for further interrogations.  Using the scanner made the results easy to locate. It wasn’t long before I got an answer.  It was a P0302 in progress… misfire on no#2 cylinder… normally an open and shut case.      09:30 Am, working on the assumption that the perpetrator was somewhere near the 2nd cylinder; I went in for further investigations.  I checked the usual suspects. Pulling the plug didn’t yield any new clues.  The plug was good and answered all the standard questions.  The coil was a more likely suspect; a simple test could answer the problem.        I’ll set up a little sting operation by using a decoy. Taking the nearest coil and replacing it with the suspected faulty coil, and put the known good coil on the other plug.  I was hoping to see the miss move to the other cylinder.  It didn’t. In fact it was gone.       10:05 Am, Now the challenge was on.  I’ll have to go back over my facts and check the crime scene again.  There’s something I must have overlooked that might be the key to this investigation.  Two things come up as good possibles; the connection or terminals at the coil, or the spark plug boot attached to the coil.  The plug boot had a good alibi… it had just been changed, in fact so was the spark plug.  That left the coil connection.        A more in-depth interrogation of the connector is needed.  My years of technical diagnostics work told me to look closer at the wire and the connector.  The guilty party in this case appears to be one of the wires at the connector.  It was barely hanging onto the housing.  Only the plastic sheath was still connected, and the wire itself was not answering to any of the standard questioning or interrogative tactics.       Under the intense glow of the high powered shop light the investigation continued.  Resorting to some strong arm tactics I pulled on the wire while using a few choice investigative words, the plastic sheathing kept getting longer and longer.  Soon, it snapped under the pressure to expose the desperado for the perpetrator it really was.       11:45 Am, The repair was completed, and tested to verify the repairs were effective.  The car in question was back with its rightful owner by the end of the day.  I now can close the file on this one, another job well done.     In conclusion: With the P0302 in question deleted from the computer history, the coil connector was then convicted of failure to cooperate. With her car back on the road she could once again be a productive concerned citizen of this great metropolis.       Case closed and now, back to the front desk waiting for that next problem to come through the door.  This city is full of broken, non-maintained, and poorly running cars.  As a concerned citizen I’ll be on the lookout for these suspicious misfires and other infractions of the auto world.      There are thousands of men and women in this city, who know that being an auto tech is an thankless, grease covered job that's done everyday without any fan fare.   Then again, I'm part of that glamourless, grease covered world... my names Friday, I'm a mechanic.      
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 1 reply
    • 2017 SUCCESS THREAD - Little disciplines makes great success.

Happy New 2017!   I hope you have set your goals for 2017, if not, get working on them!   Every day take a step into achieving your goal, it is the simple positive habits that will make success show up at your door.   For example, if you wish more sales, choose to make 10 calls everyday, or send 10 letters or post cards. by the end of the week you will have achieved 50 calls or leads, your sells will soon show up.   Simple disciplines to success!   I begin by sharing with you a video of a presentation that has given me great happiness and success:  

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 57 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors