Quantcast

Education & Training

Education and Training your technicians, service writers, and other employees is an important part of making sure your staff is well equipped to service today's customers. Technical, sales, business and general shop automotive education topics.

44 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2.8k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. CTI and WTI Offering Free Online Training

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
  2. Anyone using CTI/WTI Training?

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 14 replies
    • 3.8k views
    • 1 reply
    • 2.5k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.9k views
  3. After hours training

• 5 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.9k views
  4. Technician Training

• 7 replies
    • 3k views
    • 20 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 13 replies
    • 3.6k views
  5. RLO Training.

• 21 replies
    • 5.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2.5k views
    • 30 replies
    • 5.6k views
    • 7 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.8k views

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Latest Posts

• Speaking with shop owners, there are always some that complain that some of their techs do not want to attend training. How do you convince or persuade techs to go to training? 
    • Ha!  Well, that is a pretty interesting strategy!  
    • I have always issued a weekly paycheck based on actual hours worked, or salary, depending on our agreement when hired.  I have never paid flat rate because I don't believe in that antiquated system.  Because of that, it was up to me to market our shop well enough to keep everybody busy.  In our shop, I managed to keep everybody busy, all the time. In my opinion, the flat rate system allows a shop owner to get away with poor marketing and sales at the expense of the employees.  Early in my career, I worked flat rate in a dealership and quickly came to the opinion that the system is inherently unfair.  I eventually quit the dealership and went back to work at an independent shop.  That one experience of working flat rate is why I never did believe in paying employees flat rate.
    • If I could get you to pay them for me Joe , that would be my preferred method !!!
    • Summer is here, which means your employees are likely looking to take time off. As a way to thank them for their hard work, you offer competitive benefits that include paid vacation time.  If you don’t plan your vacation policies and processes properly, you can experience hiccups in overlapping time off, budgeting, and staff morale. In this blog post, we’ll educate you on how to manage vacation payroll and policies efficiently and effectively for satisfied employees and a happy wallet.   Plan Ahead By Developing a Time Off Process A well-defined vacation policy is essential for maintaining order and keeping your business running smoothly.  To avoid confusion, scheduling issues, and disgruntled employees, the policy should include:  How vacation time is accrued How requests are submitted  Any blackout dates during peak business periods   Require your employees to request time off with adequate notice. We recommend a minimum of 30 days. This will improve your scheduling process and allow you to find coverage as needed so your shop remains operational when your employees have time off.  Communicate your vacation policy to your employees by reviewing your employee handbook regularly. If you make updates to your policy, give them notice before you implement the new changes so they have time to plan for it.    Add Overtime into the Budget When employees take vacation, other employees may need to work extra hours to cover their roles. If you want to afford to pay overtime compensation, you need to anticipate these costs and budget accordingly. Review past payroll records and identify patterns in overtime. Use the data to allocate a portion of your budget specifically for these costs. Doing so will allow you to avoid cash flow issues during peak vacation periods.    Invest in Payroll Software Using a comprehensive payroll system streamlines the process of managing vacation payroll. These tools can track vacation time accruals, manage overtime calculations, and generate reports that give you a clear picture of vacation payroll expenses.  Quickbooks Online is a cloud-based accounting tool that simplifies payroll and budgeting by meeting your business’s specific needs.   Cross-train Employees It can be difficult to provide complete coverage when employees are on vacation. In order to keep your team running as usual, consider cross-training your team.  While certain roles require specific training and certifications, consider job descriptions that other employees can complete. Be sure to cross-train before you receive a vacation request; make this part of your yearly staff development.    Communicate Effectively Clear and concise communication is the key to successful employee vacation planning. Hold regular meetings and involve your team to discuss employee time off and how somebody will manage the workload. This keeps everyone informed, alleviates scheduling confusion, and creates seamless coverage.  Consider creating a time off calendar that is visible to your team. This creates transparency, helping your employees plan cooperatively.
    • The raising of labor rates the past few years has increased revenue for many shops.  What about car counts, steady? increase? decreased?  And parts are an issue for many around the country too. 
    • We have been buy all this year.  We have such a small parking lot, we have to plan our days very carefully.  Sales are up, but some due to raised labor rates.  Curious if every body is experiencing his.  We are having problems with parts mainly  
    • replying to both of the above.  We normally only have a couple of really hot days, so  no problem.  This year we are having a lot of hot days.  When the weather was over 100, we had all employees come in at 6 and go home at 3pm.   We usually have 3 of us come in and 6 and the others come in at 8.  I am thinking of adding it as soon as possible, probably for next year.  Thanks for all the input