Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Anyone involved in technician apprenticeship or internship programs?

The local automotive trade school in my area wants to start an apprenticeship and internship program. They feel that today, many students do not get the exposure that mechanics did years back, working in gas stations and repair shops. Many go on the schools like UTI but have no practical experience. When they get out into the workforce they are too green.

I am on the schools advisory committee and they brought this up at the last meeting and wanted to know if the shops in the area would participate.

If there is anyone who has experience with high school or auto trade school apprenticeship or internship programs, please let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      Automotive Batteries
      What is your preferred brand of automotive batteries and why?
      Who is the supplier of that brand to you?
      What are the battery series that are available in that brand, and what are the warranties?
      Who manufactures your choice of battery?
    • By Dakotaj96
      Hello everyone 

I am looking to open up my new shop within 3 months and honestly feel a little in over my head, I’ve spent days reading on here and while it’s awesome I feel I need something more formal. The main 2 things I’ve found has been the RLO training course or the Ron Ipach fast lane training program. Has anyone one taken either of these courses or have a different one to recommend? 
    • By Mail Shark
      In today’s hustle and bustle world, consumers want to work with companies that make doing business easy & convenient.
      If your auto repair shop offers online appointment scheduling, you most certainly want to include content that conveys that message on your direct mail and other marketing. It can help position you as the local repair shop that makes doing business easy by giving customers another convenient way to schedule their repair or maintenance services.
      As a standard, I suggest my clients add the following verbiage or a variation of, positioned above their phone number and website
      “Call Today or Conveniently Schedule Online”
      484-202-3960
      TheMailShark.com
      In addition, I recommend utilizing a QR code, that when scanned takes your customers directly to your online appointment scheduling web page. Customers that are apt to schedule their appointments online will no doubt appreciate the convenience, making it even easier for them to book their appointment from their smart phones or tablet by simply scanning your QR code as opposed to having to type out a long URL such as:
      advancedautorepairream.com/appointments
      Attached is an example showing one side of a 5.5x10.5 Direct Mail Postcard:
      Now, I know what many of you may be thinking, “Do people still use QR Codes?” I’m not using my psychic abilities; I’ve simply been asked countless times by auto repair shop owners. Many shop owners seem to think QR codes are a thing of the past, however, this couldn’t be further from the truth.
      The QR code market is on a steep rise. According to Juniper Research, by 2022, 5.3 billion QR code coupons will be redeemed by smartphones and 1 billion smartphones will access QR codes.
      In my opinion there is no reason you should not be using this technology. Utilizing a QR code can’t have any negative affect on your business and there is only upside potential to add more convenience and make your shop easier to schedule an appointment with.
      A few final thoughts:
      It’s important to note, after creating countless QR codes for auto repair shops, I have noticed that when clicking on the online appointment scheduling link on many shop websites, it does not take you to a different URL when accessing the online appointment page. Instead, it keeps you on the same page you are on with an online appointment scheduling pop up. If this is the case on your shop’s website, you will not be able to link a QR code direct to your specific online appointment scheduling page. You can still utilize it to drive your prospects to your website and then from there they will have to navigate to this page as compared to them scanning the QR code and landing directly on your online scheduling page.
      If your shop doesn’t offer online appointment scheduling, you can still utilize QR Codes for many different things. Below is a short list to give you some ideas of what QR codes can easily link your customers to.

·    Any Website URL
      ·    Google Maps Location
      ·    Facebook
      ·    YouTube Video
      ·    Contact Details
      ·    Image File
      ·    Etc. etc.
      Finally, we have some PRO Tips to help you get the most out of the use of your QR code.
      PRO Tip #1: Basic QR codes should be FREE from your direct mail partner and many QR code services give you the ability to create a special QR codes that allow you to track the number of times your QR code is scanned. You can then test the use of your QR code and have transparency as to whether your QR code is being scanned by consumers.
      PRO Tip #2: Never Use a QR Code without labeling it with what its purpose is. You will most likely get zero scans or far less using a QR code without a label.
      PRO Tip #3: I don’t recommend using more than one QR code on your direct mail marketing piece. Use the link you feel customers will find the most convenience in and stick with a that one.
      PRO Tip #4: You can also create custom QR code images to further enhance the appeal of your QR code. This is typically with paid QR code services. Attached is an example of how Mail Shark created a custom QR code to make it seamless for our prospective auto repair shop clients to get a quote and samples.
      Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/AutoDirectMail

• By AutoShopOwner
      IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 30, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Kelley Blue Book announces its new Auto Repair Guide experience, addressing both consumer and automotive industry needs for a principal source of trustworthy recommendations related to servicing and maintaining a vehicle. The all-new experience on KBB.com guides consumers through three primary service categories: Recalls, Maintenance and Repairs.  KBB.com is also including the ability to allow consumers to schedule service online through the Featured Auto Repair Center, a pilot with its sister company, Xtime.
      To point consumers in the right direction, the Auto Repair Guide on KBB.com helps car owners answer their top service and repair questions: What do I need to get done? When should I get it done? Where should I get it done? How much should it cost? With this new experience, Kelley Blue Book serves as a trusted advisor that connects consumers and service departments.
      Kelley Blue Book's all-new Auto Repair Guide includes:
      Information on recalls, maintenance and repair work
      A Fair Repair Range estimator—similar to the Kelley Blue Book Price Advisor tool—to guide consumers on service and repair price ranges, based on average dealer service pricing
      The ability to schedule service appointments with local dealerships directly on KBB.com through the Featured Auto Repair Center
      Kelley Blue Book, backed by more than 90 years of experience and the most trusted third-party automotive brand,1 enables both consumers and dealers to remain on the same page for pricing and now, in the service lanes with its integration with Xtime, the leading integrated software platform for retail automotive service departments.
      "Car shoppers have long trusted Kelley Blue Book to provide them with vehicle values, new-car information and more," said Jim Roche, vice president at Cox Automotive. "With this new auto repair feature on KBB.com, now they can rely on Kelley Blue Book throughout the ownership experience for guidance on service and repair costs, all while experiencing the same trust and transparency they've come to expect from the brand."
      Consumers have negative perceptions about getting their vehicle serviced at dealerships, citing unreasonable total cost, overcharging, and labor or parts charges among top reasons for not using their dealership service department2.  In reality, common maintenance and services provided by dealerships are on par from a pricing standpoint with independent offerings3. Kelley Blue Book's new Auto Repair Guide also makes service appointment scheduling easier for both consumers and dealers. Car owners can see the Fair Repair Range, select a service provider, and book service without leaving the site. Meanwhile, the Featured Auto Repair Center can connect dealers with engaged car owners, increasing consumer trust and confidence by validating their service pricing within the Kelley Blue Book Fair Repair Range.
      "The complexities of how to maintain and repair a vehicle, as well as understanding the associated costs, are a major pain point for most consumers," said Tully Williams, fixed operations director of The Niello Company in Sacramento, California. "Not only has our dealership increased service cost transparency and communication with our customers, but they also have an increased sense of trust from knowing they are being fairly charged for every service visit."
      To learn more about Kelley Blue Book Auto Repair Guide visit https://www.kbb.com/auto-repair, https://www.kbb.com/car-maintenance-service and https://www.kbb.com/ownership/recalls.
      For more information and news from Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com, visit www.kbb.com/media/, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kelleybluebook (or @kelleybluebook), like our page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kbb, and follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/kbb_com/ (or @kbb_com).
      About Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com)
      Founded in 1926, Kelley Blue Book, The Trusted Resource®, is the vehicle valuation and information source trusted and relied upon by both consumers and the automotive industry. Each week the company provides market-reflective values on its top-rated website KBB.com, including its famous Blue Book® Trade-In Values and Kelley Blue Book® Price Advisor tool, which provides a range for what consumers can reasonably expect to pay for a vehicle in their area. Car owners looking to sell immediately can also get a redeemable, transaction-ready offer with Kelley Blue BookSM Instant Cash Offer. The company also provides vehicle pricing and values through various products and services available to car dealers, auto manufacturers, finance and insurance companies, and governmental agencies. Kelley Blue Book is a Cox Automotive brand.
      About Cox Automotive
      Cox Automotive Inc. makes buying, selling, owning and using cars easier for everyone. The global company's 34,000-plus team members and family of brands, including Autotrader®, Clutch Technologies, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, VinSolutions®, vAuto® and Xtime®, are passionate about helping millions of car shoppers, 40,000 auto dealer clients across five continents and many others throughout the automotive industry thrive for generations to come. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises Inc., a privately-owned, Atlanta-based company with revenues exceeding $20 billion. coxautoinc.com
      2018 Cox Automotive Car Buyer Journey Cox Automotive Service Industry Study 2018 Cox Automotive Service Industry Study 2018 SOURCE Kelley Blue Book
      Related Links
      https://www.kbb.com
    • By JustTheBest
      USA Today article (Friday September 27, 2019 by Nathan Borney - USA Today) shows that “the average age of cars and light trucks on U.S. roads reached an all time high of 11.8 years in 2018.”

The article goes on to claim... “By 2023, there will be about 84 million vehicles on the road that are at least 16 years old, reflecting a 240% increase from 35 million in 2002, according to IHS.”

Are you getting your share?
      There’s only 90 days left in 2019 and the market is changing. Sorry, it HAS changed. Are you ready? Do you have your plans laid out for marketing your shop in 2020? 
      Auto Service Marketing - Fix Your Car Count FAST!
      Hope this helps!
      Matthew
      "The Car Count FIxer"
      P.S.: Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers! FREE Help to grow your Car Count, Income and Profit! 
      P.P.S.: Like and Follow Car Count Hackers on Facebook
      P.P.P.S.: Have you registered in my FREE Training? "How to Double Your Car Count in 89 Days"

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors