Quantcast

Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

Discussions regarding shop management and business help such as 20 groups, paid coaching, consulting, training, webinars, podcast, business seminars and business events, designed to help grow your business.

73 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Yes, this is FREE

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Anyone a member of ASA?

• 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
  3. Vision KC

• 9 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  4. Facebook group

• 21 replies
    • 0 replies
  5. Almost done with ATI

• 21 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

• Upcoming Events

• Latest Posts

• I was back in my race car for the first time in 9 years this month. First at Homestead 2 weeks ago and then at Sebring last weekend.  
    • Hi, Natalie here. There is wealth of information to clear up confusion about the new regulations regarding PPP loans. There will probably be changes, so this is summary is based on the best information currently available. Before you take action, I encourage you to check for updated rules and make sure you are fully informed before signing any paperwork. As with any government program, there are a lot of details that need to be understood. So this may be spread out over two-to-three blogs, as my goal is to deliver this information in bite-sized chunks. For additional information, I suggest you contact your local Small Business Association (SBA). Here’s a headline of the first section from an article in Forbes magazine: “Second Draw PPP Loan Eligibility Requires that Borrower will have spent the “Full Amount” of the First Loan Before Receiving the Disbursement of the Second Loan” The title for this Act is a mouthful of legalese, but the short title is the “Economic Aid Act”. This Act states that “a Second Draw PPP Loan may only be made to an eligible borrower that (1) has received a First Draw PPP Loan, and (2) has used, or will use, the full amount of the First Draw PPP Loan on or before the expected date on which the Second Draw PPP Loan is disbursed to the borrower. Let’s break this down into simpler language. You have to be eligible You have received the first PPP loan You will spend 100% of the first loan before collecting any of the funds from the second PPP loan Here is some clarification from the Interim Final Rules: The borrower must have spent the full amount of its First Draw PPP Loan on eligible expenses under the PPP rules to be eligible for a Second Draw PPP Loan; and “The full amount” of the borrower’s First Draw PPP Loan includes the amount of any increase on such First Draw PPP Loan made pursuant to the Economic Aid Act. This next topic is what the definition of “Gross Receipts” is. “Gross Receipts” Defined for Purposes of Determining Whether There Has Been a 25% Drop in Revenues to Qualify for Second Draw Unfortunately, the Economic Aid Act does not include a general definition of “gross receipts” for purposes of determining a borrower’s revenue reduction. Here is what is included in gross receipts: ““All revenue in whatever form received or accrued (in accordance with the entity’s accounting method) from whatever source, including from the sales of products or services, interest, dividends, rents, royalties, fees, or commissions, reduced by returns and allowances.” Here is what is not included in gross receipts: “Taxes collected for and remitted to a taxing authority if included in gross or total income (such as sales or other taxes collected from customers and excluding taxes levied on the concern or its employees); Proceeds from transactions between a concern and its domestic or foreign affiliates; and Amounts collected for another by a travel agent, real estate agent, advertising agent, conference management service provider, freight forwarder or customs broker.” One additional statement regarding what may not be excluded from gross receipts has to do with contractor costs and other items under the category of “all other items”. These items include: reimbursements for purchases a contractor makes at a customer's request investment income employee-based costs such as payroll taxes Lastly for part 1, this definition of gross receipts is consistent with SBA’s size regulation 13C.F.R. 121.104. This is another great reason to check out the SBA’s website www.sba.gov or go to your local SBA office for additional information. I may be able to shed some additional light on these new rules, so contact me if you want to talk this over. View full article
    • Glad to hear your doing good retired lol. Have you done or been to and races ? 
    • Hey guys, I haven't posted in a year or two since I sold my 39 year old tire store/repair shop. Life is wonderful [if a bit boring], and I haven't regretted my decision to sell for one second. Every month I go to the shop, say hi to all my old employees and collect the rent. Anyway, today I experienced the other side of the counter and it wasn't pleasant. I still have my vehicles serviced at my old place when back in Ohio and they treat me like part of their team. But when at my condo in Florida I don't have that luxury. I have my 2002 Mini Cooper down here and it was due for an oil change. Additionally, the check engine light had come on last weekend and there was a belt chirp. I called the shop my friend had suggested [they specialize in BMWs] to make an appointment. I asked for a morning appointment and explained that my friend would pick me up and we would find something to do for a few hours. When I dropped the car off I explained that the check engine light had gone off but I still wanted them to pull the codes. So I left thinking oil change, pull codes, change belt ....... figured they'd call me by 10;30? to get authorization for the belt. Well at 1:52 I hadn't heard from them so I called them to see what was up. They said the oil change was done, and the tech was pulling the codes. I asked about the belt chirp and she said she didn't know so she put me on hold and went to check. When she came back on the phone she said they hadn't looked at the belt issue yet. I voiced my displeasure explaining that when I ran my shop if a customer had a 9AM appointment for the services I requested we would be calling them with a report within an hour or two. Her reply was "we don't do things that way here". She said she would call me when they knew more. I finally got a call at 3:48PM. She explained the codes they had pulled and then said they agreed it needed a new belt and they thought they should also have a tensioner on hand in case they needed that as well. She said they could order the parts and I could make another appointment to have them installed. REALLY? I had a 9AM appointment for an oil change, codes pulled, and most likely a new belt installed and they couldn't get that done in 7 hours, 6 if you take an hour out for lunch? The shop is 35 minutes away and they don't have loaners so another appointment is a pain. I don't think I will be going back. I nearly broke my long standing rule of never posting a bad review about a business but I just can't do that. I'm getting rid of some of my frustration by telling you guys about it. If any of you guys are in my area I'm looking for someone to service my Mini. I am in Fort Myers Beach and would to like to find someone in the Naples area.
    • I agree and would like to elaborate on a few things. Re: “Explain what they need now and what to be budgeting for in the near and distant future …” I so agree. May I add that I see it as roughly, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. Their car comes in for a check engine light and their service is due soon, so do it now – first 1/3. You do an inspection and find several things that need attention - second 1/3. You spot things they need in the future – final 1/3.  So … they NEED the first third – very little “selling” (see below for more). The last 1/3 is in the future, so little selling. And the middle 1/3 I say, “Lets come up with a plan.” Again, I’m not selling, I’m explaining and advising. I think the shop owner should be careful expecting a high closing ratio. It would be too easy for the service advisor to write up less in the last 1/3, the future work. Or, “sell” more of the future work. Either way, it’s not taking care of the customer first.   “ … always building that personal relationship CONSTANTLY !” Agreed. They trust you now. Heck, I’ve told them what not to do now, the last 1/3. Meaning, I’m not after their money. My aim is to take care of them and their car. I then “explain” the middle third and why they need it. Most times they say yes.   “I can guarantee if you build this type of business relationship with your customers in a few visits to your shop they will lay there keys on the counter and say fix it.  It happens with every shop I work with and it amazes them.” Again, agree. It’s based on trust, that personal relationship.   “I smile and say, it’s just being a people person and we are in the people business.” We are taking care of people, not just cars.   “Services advisers should be talking to the customer to become their friend and extract information. Put a comment in the customer info on what he or she likes from your conversation and you will be very happy in the return you will receive.” Agreed. Then, during their next visit, you can ask: How was the camping trip? How was the trip to your son’s/daughter’s future college? How was the big golf tournament?” You are friends talking friend’s stuff. So instead taking time to sell “safety, value and benefits,” you’re talking friend’s stuff and they say yes to the additional work, because they trust their friend.   “I have always said a service advisor is NOT a sales person but a problem solver.” Nobody likes to be sold: it’s almost an automatic defense mechanism.   “Solve their problems and be friendly.” So simply put
    • Frank; thoughts and prayers go out to you and your employees.  You are right, this is no joke, let's not get complacent at this point!  Speedy recovery my friend!   
    • I started having symptoms on the 7th and tested positive for the virus on January 9th. My symptoms were fairly mild but breathing became an issue by the 14th. My oxygen level was dropping. I had to sleep setting up.  I received antibody infusion therapy on Saturday, January 16. I started feeling better yesterday and feel better today. If you have Covid and can get the antibody infusion therapy go for it. It is a game changer. I drug my feet when I could have had 5-6 days earlier.  Three of the seven people at our shop tested positive. Be sure you take this serious. It is no joke. 

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50