Quantcast

THIS IS DIFFERENT

I know, I know.
Yet ANOTHER message about the Coronavirus.
But this one's different. Let's get to work.

Here’s What I know:

1. What's going to happen: Things are going to get weird. Then they will get better. 
It's a new virus. It's contagious. It gets people really sick. A small percentage of those people die. That  sucks.

2. What is "everybody" going to do?
 People are going to continue to panic and then they'll stop.

They're going to panic for two reasons.
First, because this is a new virus and it's pretty nasty and that's pretty scary.
Second, because of the media ...specifically social media.

It's full of anecdotal "reports" ...and light on facts.We humans like to pass on "information" without checking it out.
And traditional media (the news) gets paid for viewership ...and nothing drives viewership like FEAR.

In my opinion, World Health Organization is probably the best place to get your info about this situation.

3. What this means for Your Repair Shop: The best answer I can give you here is ...IT DEPENDS. 
The best advice I can give you is actually a quote from one of my long time mentors, Mr. Jim Rohn.

Mr. Rohn once said… (this isn’t a direct quote, but you’ll get the gist of it)...

“You can not change the direction of the winds.
You can change the setting of your sails.”

Are you going to spend your time browsing social media, watching the news all day, and talking back and forth with people about this situation?

Or are you going to FOCUS on business?
I'd suggest you focus on business, avoid crowds, and wash your hands.

If you step up and LEAD them, you'll stand out. (And it's good Karma.)

Think about it this way.

Most of your competition will be following the herd and doing the whole "let's sit around and talk about the corona virus ...while simultaneously browsing social media and reading stuff about the coronavirus...while simultaneously watching the news for updates on the coronavirus thing.

That means they're NOT promoting. They're NOT in front of the market. They're NOT in the game.

What I'm doing personally:

1. Avoiding large crowds, washing my hands, and keeping my immune system strong.

2. Not paying attention to anyone other than non-biased expert health organizations. 
That means no social media.No news media. Just the facts.

3, I’ve got new free training being released in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned and I’ll keep you posted. 

If you have any specific questions or need some help right now - it’s 100% totally free to talk to me about your specific problem. Just AskTheCarCountFixer.com

Stay safe - Talk soon!

Matthew
“The Car Count Fixer”

P.S.: You could take this FREE TRAINING: How to Double Your Car Count in 89 Days. Over 2 hours and 20 minutes of video on demand. 

P.P.S.: Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers! FREE Help to grow your Car Count, Income and Profit! 

P.P.P.S.: Like and Follow Car Count Hackers on Facebook

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Craig Caudill, Manager at Fine Tuned Automotive Erie, CO
      Key Talking Points
      Lean- eliminating waste in processes. Waste is anything that doesn't add value to the customer’s experience 7 wastes in lean- motion, inventory, waiting, defects, overproduction, transportation, over-processing Motion- excessive motion techs/advisors being away from the work station. Using instant messaging on the shop management system for instant streamline communication Inventory- excessive inventory isn't bringing value to customers. Has to turn over so it's not wasted money Waiting- technicians input in system precisely parts needed and update lead time in the management system Defects- categorize comebacks Overproduction- doing more than what customer requested Transportation- the movement of vehicles in the shop. Accurate diagnosis first time and identify every issue Over-processing- don't develop processes that are overly complex. Simplify everything to key elements. Don’t overthink or over the process. 5 S event- sort (take out everything you have and see if it's necessary to keep) set and order (essential items are identified and set in order. Tape off areas where items go and have a picture of how that area is supposed to look) shine (after everything is in its place then you clean) standardized (building processes and SOP’s) sustain People don't want to be questioning what they should do- build a structured culture Parts are labeled specific to parts suppliers Improving profitability- waste is time and money. Customers are willing to pay for the value you offer them How to start? Don’t be intimidated. Do research on 5 S and start seeing benefits. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day.
      Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click.
      When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, // you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review.
      Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/carm to learn more.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Doug Grills from AutoStream Car Care Center is a chain of 7 family-owned, automotive service facilities that deliver honest and professional automotive repair and maintenance services to customers in the Greater Baltimore/Washington, DC area. Doug along with his partner Rick Levitan has been around the service station business for over 25 years and has built their reputation by offering best-in-class service to their customers. All AutoStrem Car Care technicians are ASE Certified and the shops are AAA approved. Listen to Doug’s previous episodes HERE.
      Mike DelaCruz- National Sales Manager, Auto at Broadly
      Clint White has been passionately immersed in the Automotive Industry for over 25 years. He is a Service Advisor Coach & Shop Consultant with CWI and currently holds multiple ASE certifications. He began his career as a Technician at a local two bay shop in 1995 and over the course of the next two and a half decades honed his sales, technical, and management skills while living in Washington & S.E. Idaho. During his journey, he has never stopped learning and has been blessed to work for and with those who value education, training, and coaching. In everything he does, Clint is focused on people and excellence! Whether it be coaching & training Service Advisors to sell with passion & integrity or working directly with Shop Owners to improve team accountability and streamline process implementation, Clint’s passion is to elevate the Automotive Industry across the nation to ensure every customer consistently receives the highest level of service. Previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Being On Time Responsibility and create an environment you want to be in and be on time Avoid anxiety when rushing Be early to be on time for your customers Being late affects ourselves and other people Making an Effort Showing effort and giving 100% is showing commitment, demonstrating to everyone else on team Be focused on your work, lead by example, don’t miss things you’re required to do Being High Energy Doesn't mean coffee or energy drinks, its having an internal flame People are drawn to others with high level energy Introvert- quietly stir the flame, be intentional, choose enthusiasm Stress kills energy- humor, exercise, sleep etc Create work life harmony- life outside of work that stirs your passion will reenergize you Having a Positive Attitude Take a hard look at the impact you have on people and business You don’t know what is going on in other peoples lives- words and attitude are powerful Do you want to have a positive or negative impact on others? Leave your problems at the door and be kind Failures and disappointments happen- vent upward not downward Being Passionate Passion involves feeling and emotion and is infectious Smile when answering the phone- “feel the smile” Sales- the transference of feelings Using Good Body Language First impressions are everything- made within 7 seconds of contact Positive non verbal cues- engaged, approachable Eye contact, smiling, posture, arms and hands (cross arms, hands in pockets =not engaged) Non verbal cues must match your verbal cues! Being Coachable No ego when coming together to achieve a common goal- build together  Allow yourself to be coachable- be humble and open to learning/new ideas Doing a Little Extra Be willing to go above and beyond Price of entry- doing what you’re required to do. Living the job description Push yourself and take initiative  Being Prepared 100% effort- proactive to be prepared Cant serve others when ill prepared  Essential and not optional when it comes to reducing stress Success doesn't come from what you do occasionally, it comes from what you do consistently  Having a Strong Work Ethic Always building a reputation- invest in yourself, team and company Work hard and generate results Chick fil-A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0RhvZ3lvY
      A special thanks to Doug Grills, Mike DelaCruz and Clint White for their contribution to the aftermarket. Books Page HERE Listen to all Remarkable Results Radio, For The Record and Town Hall Academy episodes. Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email  
      Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee 

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

This episode is brought to you by Shop Marketing Pros. Your guides are Kim and Brian Walker with a rich history as shop owners and industry veterans. When someone searches for a shop, who are they finding? Your competitors? It should be you! The good people over at Shop Marketing Pros know how to drive website traffic and make Google work for you! www.shopmarketingpros.com
    • By Joe Marconi
      After a slow January and multiple snow storms in Feb, 2021 is beginning to shape up and gaining traction.  Being less than an hour north of NYC has its challenges, but all the pent up demand is greatly improving business. The roads are packed, so people are driving. My prediction? A very good rest of 2021! 
    • By carmcapriotto
      How to Have a Four Day Work Week with Eric Henley [RR 627]
      Eric Henley, owner of H-Teck Auto Care in Gray, TN, is 4th generation of mechanical repair. He received an associate's degree in Auto Service Technology and spent over 15 years at a Honda dealership. Eric started H-Teck Auto Care in 2006 with just him, his dad and his wife. Going on over 15 years in business he now has a 6 bay shop.
      4 generations in the automotive industryGrandfather was a blacksmith and father used to bring home cars to be fixed up. Eric grew up fixing bicycles, lawnmowers and cars.  Received an associates degree in Auto Service Technology Spent 15 years in dealerships- income can go down as skill level goes up (more skilled jobs often wouldn’t pay as much) Hiring new techniciansUses Indeed and Facebook Marketplace but the best results come from word of mouth and referrals from existing employees Current prospect is 21 year old Skills USA graduate  Current tenured technicians - 15 years, 11 years, 3 years Food Friday’sEither grill or go out to eat every Friday- have employee meeting over a meal All employees and Eric discuss any issues, improvements, ideas, areas needed for training, or tools needed. Open dialogue and non-formal Eric gives his employees the opportunity for responsibilities in the business- currently working on updating SOP’s with more DVI usage Shop is open 5 days a week with weekends offEric is in the shop 4 days a week because he trusts his employees- they are good people able to follow the SOP’s in place and make day to day decisions Employees will know if you don’t trust them- creates “neediness” for everything  Gives his employees monthly expenditures they can use for customers in need Spends extra time in the community and with his family He is very involved in his employee's lives and is flexible with work schedules based on their family schedules What makes a great service advisor?Excellent people skills and communication skills- enjoy talking to people Can think quickly on their feet, a warm personality, patient and good listener Similar to a good waitress/waiter- there when you need them, listen to what you need, then go on to the next table.  Both of Eric’s service advisors are in ongoing training Best service advisor trainers- previous service advisor, or previous technician with good people skills, or having parts experience TrainingRequires minimum 30 hours per year of training  Utilized online training a lot last year during COVID shutdowns RRR 588 with Jim Fleischman and Matt Manzone- Dealership tech now works for an independent How to Have a Four Day Work Week with Eric Henley [RR 627]
      Thanks to Eric Henley for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email  
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee
      NAPA Autotech Training helps your technicians keep their skills sharp and their NAPA Know How up to date. It’s the highest quality technical training that covers almost every vehicle system and every make and model. NAPA Autotech is presented by experienced instructors who are ASE master certified technicians. Even after a class is over, techs can access course information online with ClassPass. So when questions come up later they can get the answers. AutoCare Center owners who have taken advantage of Autotech Training say that well-trained technicians are helping to increase their shop’s repair capability and raise bay productivity. That results in fewer comebacks, more satisfied shop customers, and reduced technician turnover.
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com.
    • By ncautoshop
      We all have this idea starting out that owning a business is the same thing as having the keys to the building, turning the lights on, and getting to work....in our case, getting to work fixing cars. 
      But as most of us have figured out by now, it's not what it seems from the outside looking in.
      In my business, one of the toughest challenges I've faced is creating a culture that I can be proud of. Conveying to our people the WHY behind the what. 
      While it took years to build, a realization I had no clue what my "WHY" was, and a number of missteps - in the past few years the culture of my facility has begun to develop....and in many ways, it develops itself now through the amazing team we have in place. 
      This episode of the podcast is titled "How to keep talent from leaving" but in it's entirety this episode is much more than keeping talent from leaving... It's some of the fundamentals one of the greats of the business, Dwayne Myers, uses daily in his business. 
      I know David and I both gained a ton of knowledge from this chat, so take a listen and let us know your thoughts on culture and going a step above for your staff.
      It's also worth noting that those of us who are patrons got quite a laugh out of what's become quite a running joke with David - It should be noted that this is the first time David hasn't edited out the jokes about the banner or the beaver......
      Speaking of patrons..... We'd love to have you as a patron of the channel. It's the patrons who make the podcast and all of the great offerings within ASOG possible. It's the subscribers and those of you who like or share the podcast that has shown us the hard work is worth it! 
      So if you don't mind, take a few minutes and become a patron! Maybe like and share the podcast? 😁
      The podcast can be heard on all major listening apps here:
      https://www.buzzsprout.com/1182755/8089854-asog-podcast-ep-24-how-to-keep-talent-from-leaving-with-dwayne-myers-of-dynamic-automotive
      It can be viewed on YouTube (Along with ASOG Shorts and AMA's) here:

And if you'd like to become a patron (which includes access to the full AMA videos, early releases and live participation in the AMA events) you can do so here: https://www.patreon.com/AutoShopOwnersGroup

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      January 2020 started without a hitch. We hit our sales and profit goals in textbook fashion. However, by the end of February, it was obvious that something wasn’t right. Sales for the month dipped by more than 30 percent. It was devastating. What we didn’t realize was that this was just the beginning of even greater losses. By the time Governor Cuomo of New York issued the stay-at-home order on March 22, sales had dropped 75 percent. With most of the country in lock-down, I didn’t know what to fear more—the coronavirus or the impending financial disaster the world was about to endure.  
      Before we go on, it’s important that we all remember those that have lost their lives due to COVID-19.  As in any crisis, there will be suffering. However, as a society, we must not dwell on it or let the crisis beat us. We must find a way to fight it and succeed.  
      When the impact of the virus first hit, emotions filled my mind every waking moment, mostly due to the uncertainty of the situation. Then, reality set in and all I could think about was my obligation to others. As an essential part of the community and the nation, it was my obligation to keep the doors open and be there to make sure that those that needed to get to work, could. If we were to win, survive and thrive, we had to create a winning environment. That meant that I had to elevate my leadership to a new level, put the health and welfare of my staff before anything else and realign my goals. In the coming days and weeks, I would get a working man’s PhD on how to win in times of crisis. 
      The first lesson learned in all this is to have the right mindset. We can’t look backward in time or wait around for a return to what we perceived was once normal. Looking forward and building a new future is all that matters. If you tell yourself, “the sky is falling.” It will.  Negativity spreads like a virus and infects everyone around you. Your mind shuts down in panic mode, clouding your judgment and mentally and physically paralyzing you. You must remain mentally strong and positive, even when you know the brutal facts of the situation. This is crucial. You, the leader of your shop, cannot lead others if you show fear and negativity. Be human, show emotions, but have the mental fortitude and show your team that we will get through this crisis. 
      The next lesson is to make sure you have the right people around you. A strong team with the right culture is important in business. In times of crisis, it’s the difference between success and failure. As the weeks unfolded, it became clear to me who my leaders were. It would be those employees that I would turn to in order to maintain morale and lift everyone’s spirit. Leaders cannot succeed without having the right team around them. Take a look around you. Do you have the best employees with the right attitude? If not, begin the recruiting process today. 
      Realigning my goals and understanding my new key performance numbers was next up. My 2020 business plan, created in December 2019, had little meaning by mid-March. I am not admitting defeat for the year by any means. Rather, we now have new objectives and a clean slate. From this point on, it is critical that we remain profitable: watching every expense, tracking production, keeping payroll within budget, and building for the future. The past is the past, it cannot be changed. What we have now is the opportunity to make each day better than the day before. 
      Perhaps the biggest lesson learned was more of reminder than a lesson. It’s that above everything else, people come first.  All the planning, goal setting, marketing and number crunching mean nothing unless you understand that you, as a shop owner, have the power to achieve great things by your words and actions. Yes, it all goes back to leadership and understanding your obligation you have to others. All of us will have different lessons learned from crisis.  Which means, there is great opportunity on the horizon. Use those lesson to make your tomorrow better than yesterday. 
      My hope is that by the time you read this article, COVID-19 will be well under control.  Human interaction is crucial to our overall well-being. We need not only, the emotional touch of another person, but also the physical touch of others.  While Facetime and Zoom will get us through, it will never replace a good old fashion handshake and a hug. 
      This story was originally published by Joe Marconi in Ratchet+Wrench on June 5th, 2020

View full article
    • By Mark Johnson
      Are you a Iowa shop owner? If you have been affected by COVID-19, have 2-25 employees and have a location in the state you can get a grant of between $5,000 and $25,000 from the Iowa Small Business Relief Grant Program. (If you are not from Iowa please tell friend from the state)   YOU MUST APPLY NOW! (Deadline is March 31, 2020)   So what information do you need?   A LOT!   ●   Most recent Income Statement ●   Revenue Loss Analysis ●   Most recent Balance Sheet ●   Payroll Schedule And Analysis ●   Funds utilization report ●   Fill out All Paperwork   You need to apply now because applications close March 31, 2020.   This is FREE money, don't let it pass.

We are currently helping business owners to access this grant.   For more info please call us at 1954-324-0803 or book an appointment at https://calendly.com/markjohnsontaxplanner/45min
      View full article
    • By Joe Marconi
      January 2020 started without a hitch. We hit our sales and profit goals in textbook fashion. However, by the end of February, it was obvious that something wasn’t right. Sales for the month dipped by more than 30 percent. It was devastating. What we didn’t realize was that this was just the beginning of even greater losses. By the time Governor Cuomo of New York issued the stay-at-home order on March 22, sales had dropped 75 percent. With most of the country in lock-down, I didn’t know what to fear more—the coronavirus or the impending financial disaster the world was about to endure.  
      Before we go on, it’s important that we all remember those that have lost their lives due to COVID-19.  As in any crisis, there will be suffering. However, as a society, we must not dwell on it or let the crisis beat us. We must find a way to fight it and succeed.  
      When the impact of the virus first hit, emotions filled my mind every waking moment, mostly due to the uncertainty of the situation. Then, reality set in and all I could think about was my obligation to others. As an essential part of the community and the nation, it was my obligation to keep the doors open and be there to make sure that those that needed to get to work, could. If we were to win, survive and thrive, we had to create a winning environment. That meant that I had to elevate my leadership to a new level, put the health and welfare of my staff before anything else and realign my goals. In the coming days and weeks, I would get a working man’s PhD on how to win in times of crisis. 
      The first lesson learned in all this is to have the right mindset. We can’t look backward in time or wait around for a return to what we perceived was once normal. Looking forward and building a new future is all that matters. If you tell yourself, “the sky is falling.” It will.  Negativity spreads like a virus and infects everyone around you. Your mind shuts down in panic mode, clouding your judgment and mentally and physically paralyzing you. You must remain mentally strong and positive, even when you know the brutal facts of the situation. This is crucial. You, the leader of your shop, cannot lead others if you show fear and negativity. Be human, show emotions, but have the mental fortitude and show your team that we will get through this crisis. 
      The next lesson is to make sure you have the right people around you. A strong team with the right culture is important in business. In times of crisis, it’s the difference between success and failure. As the weeks unfolded, it became clear to me who my leaders were. It would be those employees that I would turn to in order to maintain morale and lift everyone’s spirit. Leaders cannot succeed without having the right team around them. Take a look around you. Do you have the best employees with the right attitude? If not, begin the recruiting process today. 
      Realigning my goals and understanding my new key performance numbers was next up. My 2020 business plan, created in December 2019, had little meaning by mid-March. I am not admitting defeat for the year by any means. Rather, we now have new objectives and a clean slate. From this point on, it is critical that we remain profitable: watching every expense, tracking production, keeping payroll within budget, and building for the future. The past is the past, it cannot be changed. What we have now is the opportunity to make each day better than the day before. 
      Perhaps the biggest lesson learned was more of reminder than a lesson. It’s that above everything else, people come first.  All the planning, goal setting, marketing and number crunching mean nothing unless you understand that you, as a shop owner, have the power to achieve great things by your words and actions. Yes, it all goes back to leadership and understanding your obligation you have to others. All of us will have different lessons learned from crisis.  Which means, there is great opportunity on the horizon. Use those lesson to make your tomorrow better than yesterday. 
      My hope is that by the time you read this article, COVID-19 will be well under control.  Human interaction is crucial to our overall well-being. We need not only, the emotional touch of another person, but also the physical touch of others.  While Facetime and Zoom will get us through, it will never replace a good old fashion handshake and a hug. 
      This story was originally published by Joe Marconi in Ratchet+Wrench on June 5th, 2020

• By Joe Marconi
      Due to COVID-19, many repair shops experienced a severe economic downturn, some with a drop in sales over 50%.  Without a strong cash reserve and/or SBA funding help, many shops would have gone under. 
      My 40 years as a shop owner has taught me to always have a cash reserve.  However, never would I have ever imagined a downturn like the one with COVID-19.
      So, how do we plan for the next financial crisis.  And, it will happen. Perhaps not as bad as the the virus crisis, but it will happen.
      Here are a few things to consider: Have a separate, and hard to access, cash reserve bank account that has least two months of expenses. Also, secure a line of credit for at least one to two months of expenses.  Also, know your numbers, keep payroll in line, and make sure your prices are fair to you too, not just your customers.  Keep in good standing with all your vendors and keep your credit score high! 
      The bottom line here, is truly the bottom line.  To weather the next financial downturn, you need a strong balance sheet and net profit to the bottom line.
      What other strategies are you considering or implementing? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      A ride to the Mall with my wife today (yes, I went to the Mall, got a problem?) gave me assurance that things are really getting back to normal. The stores were full, the roads were packed and expect for the masks people are wearing, you would think it's just another ordinary summer weekend! 

• Our Sponsors