Quantcast

Business Review, Coaching, Tips & Articles

Forums

1. Business Talk - How's your shop doing?

How was last month? How was last year? Shop performance and overall numbers review. Post a new topic to get started.

Tips from Joe Marconi, co-founder of AutoShopOwner. His tips are shared to help you in your day to day shop operations, sales, customer service, marketing, advertising, and more!

3. Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

Discussions regarding shop management and business help such as 20 groups, paid coaching, consulting, training, webinars, podcast, business seminars and business events, designed to help grow your business.

Check out some of the latest automotive and business podcasts in the industry. Post information about your Podcasts, Webinars & Live Streams to the community.

This forum is reserved for article discussions. Comments posted on article pages will also be added as posts to article threads here, and visa versa.

Find your domain and create your site at Weebly.com!

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Latest Posts

• YES! EXACTLY! TY for the reponse. I usually look at the labor rate, it as a strut replacement in the front along with a front diff R&R. Then in the back shock replacement and the track bar then add an hour or two.  I personally do not like Rough Country but on their lift description if gives you an estimated install time give or take a couple of hours. My problem is when you sell a high end kit, like BDS, there are several more parts/steps than a cheap entry level kit. So that's where it gets a little tricky to bid, but its a starting point.   
    • Good Day Joe  ...We are a brake and front end shop. I know what you are talking about. We don't do lifts for that reason. We do leveling kits and considered the job as replacing Struts and it's base on the time plus some. A lift kit leaves a lot of work with out been paid for..  I think is more of guess on the amount of work and hours combine. 
    • Just finishing up this Bondorific patch job on my rocker panel (and opposite side rear panel section) and need advice on how to finish things up. I believe I've read that bondo can be spread as thin as you want as long as it has good mechanical adhesion, but I'm wondering as I do these last steps if I might could use something else meant for filing in more nuanced scratches and little valleys. Basically I've got both panels shaped about like I want (exposing some sheet metal along the way) and now I just need to fill in the 36 grit sanding marks on the bondo, cover the exposed aluminum, sand up to 800? grit, then go at it with color coats and then clear. 2 questions are... - What should I use to fill in the bondo scratches and cover the exposed aluminum? body panels?...possibly some kind of high build primer? - What's the minimum grit you need to sand (the primer?) up to before applying the color and clear coats? I've been told anywhere between 400-800. For the bonding between the color and clear coats I'll be timing them to take advantage of chemical adhesion. note: Since this picture was taken I've added another skim coat of bondo to fill in those small bondo divots, but I should have those same 36 grit scratches after I sand it back down again.
    • Good information... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NCjtayTJZ0n2840nQjsGW4R-D-TGa5WO/view?usp=sharing Larry
    • I'm guilty of not recognizing employees enough.  I never knew of this aspect of the business till I came to this group in my retirement.  It sounds so simple, but I'm surprised that no management seminar or training class ever mentioned it.  It's all my fault for failing in this area.
    • You are right all of you.  Still you have to keep track and see what works for your location.  December 11, will be 54 years and I am still learning.  Times keep changing and customers keep changing.  For us Loaners at this time are worth it for us.  Question Are you up this year over last year  We are up over last year even with one less technician.  What happens as soon as the car manufacturers start really selling cars again, Are we ready for the change?????  Love all the different answers and how they work for each shop.
    • As we head toward the end of the year and look to 2023, I thought it would be beneficial for all if we share the biggest challenges that are facing auto repair shops.  Is it hiring new employees? Employee retention? The economy?  Technology? Or perhaps, finding the right training for your employees?  Let's start the conversation and post your biggest challenge!