Quantcast

employee pay

spencersauto

I am frequently faced with the dilemna of pay. I don't want to low ball someone when hiring, but on the other hand I don't want to over pay either. I am currently in a hard spot on what to do with an employee who I feel is making too much based on his skill set. He is very weak in his diagnosing skills, but is a good parts changer. He's not honestly much better than my lube technician who is making $13 an hour. Tech B is making $16 per hour and $10 a flag hour. On average this is coming out to $22 per hour. I decided 90 days ago to put him on probation for violating state inspection procedures, some shop policies and because he was not meeting the expectations of the job description. Well the 90 days is up. He misdiagnosed a blend door problem yesterday which was a heater core restricted (cooling 101 in my mind), he's since lost his inspection license because he didn't followup with the state on the ticket he received, and he is not running the 35 hours a week I expect him to. The shop is average 80-90 hours per week so the hours are there, but he just isn't running them. Plus, I feel like I have to babysit him on making sure he is doing his job. I did put an ad out to get feelers and we had no one qualified enough apply. So do I let him stay based on he does do clean work, but at a slow pace and cut his pay or just cut my losses and can him now.

spencersauto

25 Club: Starting Contributor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By ASOG Podcast
      Brian Walker of Shop Market Pros explaining what makes them different at the TOOLS Conference 2021.
    • By Obsidian Motors
      Looking for additional help and have placed ads on Indeed, Craigslist, tech company sites & even reached out to tech schools in the area. And with all of that only 5 applicants called to set up interviews. And none actually showed up. Although one did call to say he couldn't make the interview because he accepted a job at another shop. 
      Curious to know how other owners are dealing with the tech shortage? 
    • By ASOG Podcast
      What's the biggest mistake owners are making when marketing their shops?
    • By carmcapriotto
      Andy Bizub, Midwest Performance Cars in Chicago is also a native of Chicago. His first career was 25 years as a commodity trader. He entered the professional auto industry in 2014 by acquiring a failing shop in downtown Chicago that he was a customer of and started a turnaround. Andy now has two locations. He bought his first car at age 19, a 1972 Triumph Spitfire, which was the start of his gas, oil, and automobile obsession.
      Listen to Andy’s previous episodes HERE.
      Joe Jerkins, Owner Westside Auto Pro, Clive, IA. Joe has been in the Automotive Industry since 2007 when he joined a tire and mechanical repair chain store after spending multiple years in grocery store management.  He did not know anything about the industry and had no mechanical background but had a passion for helping people and sales.  After having spent some time there, he joined a dealership as a Service Advisor and quickly rose to the number 1 advisor based on sales at his dealership.  An opportunity as a Service Manager arose at a local repair facility and Joe decided it was time to get back into management as he was getting his legs under him in the automotive world.  After his second child was born, Joe sought an opportunity at his hometown dealership to run the Fixed Operations including Service, Body and helping oversee Parts.  In 2013, after realizing that there was a lot of “wrong” in this industry, generally speaking, he decided it was time for one last try with a shop he knew nothing about called Westside Auto Pros.  Joe was hired as the Service Manager and after a couple of years his title changed to General Manager.  In 2018, Ron Haugen, the owner at the time, and Joe decided to accelerate their 5 year plan of purchase and by October 1st of that year, Joe was the brand new owner of the already successful Westside Auto Pros.  Westside Auto Pros continues to grow its repair shop as well as its towing and roadside assistance department.
      Patrick Ryan, Technician, Eagle Automotive, Columbine Hills, CO, 4 Locations
      Key Talking Points
      What is important to dealership technicians transitioning to independent- make it apparent the technician matters in your business. If they quit at the dealership it wouldn’t be noticed. They were “just a number.” Minimal and sometimes decreasing benefits. Interviewing dealership tech- discuss your team culture and environment. Many techs bounce from dealership to dealership because they are still finding “their place.”Don’t view working at multiple places as negative necessarily. Show them a path for all ages of your technicians. Don’t have a “cookie-cutter” interview process for all your hires. Career change- wanting to grow and be challenged, feel appreciated. Millennials/Gen Z- raised with no gravity “everything is great.” Introduce gravity a little at a time. Be taught instead of blocked. Be guided. The owner needs to be vulnerable- voice it to your team Break down stereotypes of large dealerships Technicians will check your social media prior to applying and read customer and employee reviews- promote your shop is a great place to work  
      Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day. Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click. When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review. Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/chat to learn more.            
      Find Remarkable Results on Your Favorite App HERE
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Kevin Syed, Owner of Integrity 1st Automotive, grew up with an entrepreneurial father and was always encouraged to lead. Having successfully earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from University at Buffalo, Kevin went on to become a franchisee with Getty Petroleum / British Petroleum service centers for the better part of a decade in New York City. After gaining the knowledge, experience, and funding required to produce his own operation, Kevin went on to operate his own independent shops in New York. Kevin sought to find a new place to call home with his wife and twin girls; he longed for the community values and environment of the South and so his family made the decision to move to Texas. Integrity 1st Automotive was then born in Texas and Kevin has scaled his business to multiple locations across the Dallas Fort-Worth Metroplex. When he's not working, Kevin enjoys local car rallies (e.g. Lamborghini Club Dallas), traveling, and hunting.
      Ramy Nazim, Director of Integrity 1st Automotive, graduated from the University of Toronto in 2014 with a HBSc. in Biology & Psychology. While he continues to have an affinity for academia and the life sciences; he found his technical prowess to be of vast usage in the working world. Post-graduation, he went on to work with a local software startup specializing in real estate marketing tools. The startup experience allowed Ramy to engage with virtually every facet and department of the business. Insofar as the automotive repair industry, Ramy works to leverage technological solutions to help increase operational efficiency, develop automations, create event-driven communication flows and more! When he's not working, Ramy enjoys traveling with his wife, cooking with the help of Youtube tutorials, and reading about science and history.
      Key Talking Points
      Put it in writing- a discussion on the importance of standard operating procedures, processes, training paradigms in order to scale the business to multi-locations. Put the system into place.  Is it auditable? Having things written is one thing - but how are you tracking compliance? Every process should have a check and balance behind it- quality assurance on whether it is being done. Area Manager (or yourself as an owner) with a preset checklist or leverage technology (software management system). Prioritizing- If you are ambitious on growth, then you've likely got a laundry list of goals and tasks; some are working ON the business and some are working IN the business. Develop a methodology of prioritization- tie your task to a specific KIP, goal or ROI. Eliminates redundancy. Be open to change.   Incentivized Extraordinary Performance- empower and develop your employees. Incentives that promote entrepreneurial thinking work the best. Profit-sharing- share part of profits with managers/lead technicians and share P & L. Being transparent.  Keep your eyes on Customer Churn- We are in the people's business, one of the most important KPI's to focus on whether one shop or multi shops is to know how many customers are churning from your business annually. (SAS- software as a service). Track weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually- how much of car count is return vs net new customers. Touchpoints for every life cycle of a customer’s vehicle. Remarket and reengage with customers. Churn is inevitable but control it as much as possible.  Automation- there are only so many hours in the day; with compartmentalized thinking and technology, you can get more out of each day by offloading redundant tasks to technology without one size fits all solutions.  The Customer Experience- we know that it's all about the little things when it comes to curating a memorable experience. That being said, how do you make sure the little things are being followed when you're not there? Your model should work for ANYONE- If you build scalable models, then you can confidently scale to prospective franchisees and feel confident that your customers will Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:
      Since 1989 TRACS has been the industry’s leading shop management system. And in the last 30 years it’s gotten better and better. Today TRACS Enterprise offers even more of the features AutoCare Center owners want—things like a powerful interactive scheduling calendar, faster and streamlined work flow, plus streamlined parts ordering and purchasing options. And there’s more—Punch-out to Mitchell ProDemand, mobile VIN capture, and multi-shop capabilities. That means you can count on TRACS Enterprise to help drive your success today and well into the future. Learn more about TRACS Enterprise and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer. Talk with your servicing NAPA store or visit www.NAPAAutoCare.com.

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors