Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Time to Raise Prices?

I know that many shop owners, including myself, have been reluctant the past few years to increase labor prices and part margins. We have lived through extraordinary times the past few years with so many of our customers losing jobs, their homes, loss in the 401k and retirement, and other economic difficulties. But while many of us have been sitting on our prices, the world has still moved forward. Our cost of doing business has risen the past few years with increases in insurance, medical, taxes, workers comp, unemployment insurance and many other of our fixed and variable expenses.

So, the question becomes, “To raise prices or not to raise prices”. We all know the effects of pricing ourselves out of business, but we also know that maintaining prices can also drive us to close our doors. In the past I have always looked to increase production and sales per customer. But that strategy is not easily implemented in this battered consumer market.

I am one of those shop owners that has not raised prices the past few years, but now I am putting together a plan to make price increases. It will be small and incremental, but it must be done. I will also create new programs and promotions to promote more value for the consumer. Value is key these days. People want to walk away from your shop knowing the money they spent was not a mistake but a real value.

How are other shops keeping up with rising costs of doing business?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By CAautogroup
      Hello all,

We have a rather small waiting room and have removed a few chairs to aid in social distancing (we now have only 4 chairs total). I wanted to know if your shop is requiring customers to wear a mask while they are inside the waiting area?  How is your experience? Do you have a sign up on the front door stating they must wear a mask?

Stay safe and healthy!

Nick 

• By sparkerauto
      How many of you text message customers on update with there vehicle, when it's done, what needs to be done ? Also how are you doing this ? I have two landline phones, are you using personal cell phones ? Thanks !
    • By DUFRESNES
      Questions to everybody.  Who is mass texting their customers?  What company are you using?  Cost?  Complaints.?  We do use e-mailing with over 50% opening.  With the covid-19 we want to let all our customers know we are open, we are
      essential company and how we are doing business now? Keeping them informed. weekly.
    • By Joe Marconi
      For many of us, it's been a wild ride the past few months. We had to take care of everything, making tough decisions, dealing with banks and the SBA and running the shop from the trenches. But, with things looking better each day, it’s time that we get back into the role of building and operating the company. 
      For many, the COVID-19 crisis is far from over.  However, the sooner we begin to adjust and build for the future, the better off we will be.
      Shop Owners are among the hardest working people on the planet. We find ways to get through the most difficult situations. I have no doubt that the lesson’s learned from this crisis will make us stronger and more successful.
    • By Jeremy Glassco
      I get asked this many times.  How would I use a custom mobile app if I had one for my shop?
      Take a moment to think about that.
      Imagine what you could do IF you had a custom mobile app for your vehicle owner customers to download, interact with, and engage with your brand?
      I'm noticing this trend in the food industry, retail industry, and now even in the medical industry.
      What about our auto repair industry niche?
      We're working on version 7.3, and part of what I love to do is get great feedback and build it into our upcoming versions.
      What about you.
      What type of features would an auto repair professional like yourself want in your dream app?
      Please share your ideas here and my hard working team of app gurus will get on it!

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors