• Announcements

• AutoShopOwner

Advertising & Promoting Your Company On AutoShopOwner - Information   02/25/2017

This message is only shown to FREE members and goes away after subscribing to a paid membership. If you are joining AutoShopOwner to promote your business, service, or product to this community of auto shop owners, please subscribe to a Sponsor Member Annual Package before doing so. With the correct membership, you will have the ability to post about your company in your posts and forum signature.

You can upgrade your existing membership here.

All marketing attempts to this community without proper membership level and/or approval by staff, will be considered spam, result in topic/post removal, and a warning, which can lead up to the banning of your membership, company and/or product on all pages of AutoShopOwner.

Thank you for your support.
Andrew Cutler

Sharing my experience with a uniform vendor

This is a rant, pure and simple, but I hope that it can serve as a cautionary tale for others.  Unifirst came in with a proposal as the "AAA preferred uniform vendor".  As we are a AAA approved shop we qualified for special pricing, almost 30% less than what we were paying at that time.  We gave them our business and it has been a cluster since.  It took almost 6 months for them to deliver, and when they did the sizes were all over the map.  About half of my employees (and myself) had to have size changes.  They embroidered all our dark shirts with dark logos and had to re-do them which took months.  They actually embroidered them wrong TWICE before they got it right.  My tech's shirts came back with with huge oil and rust stains after their first washing and have never been clean since.  The towels are usually oily and sometimes have metal shavings in them.  They routinely mis-deliver and fail to deliver uniforms, leaving techs short for the week.  I've had the service manager, plant manager, and regional manager all in my office to tell me that this would all be corrected, to no avail.  We have a new service starting in December and I anticipate threats to sue on the three year agreement they require.  I've been cataloging, photographing and corresponding with them over the past 8 months and I am confident that we can prove that they are unable to provide anything close to the level of service they promised.  I have learned, yet again, that you get what you pay for.  Don't let Unifirst in the door.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Elon Block
      Hi everyone,

In case you hadn't heard, here's something you need to be aware of...

AAA is making some changes, in the way they are doing business.

Within the last few years, AAA has decided to build their own company-owned facilities.

Here is a link, with an example of search results, drivers will see when they type in a zip code:
      http://bit.ly/2bk7prG

Pay special attention to the search results marked (AAA Owned Facility).

The facilities are impressive and are gaining traction:
      http://midatlantic.aaa.com/Automotive/ClubOwnedRepair/Aboutus/New

As you can see, their slogan is, "Auto Repair From A Name You Trust".

This is genius marketing, on their part...

Because customers equate the AAA logo, as a shop they can trust.

The other major change they've made is...

The new requirements for the AAA certification renewal.

Many shop owners did not read the fine print or notice the changes to the agreement.

In other words, the fine print requires certified shops to give AAA access to the shop's customer database.

The biggest concern is if you give them access to your customer database and then, they open a AAA Owned Facility, in your backyard...

They now have a built-in customer base they can market to.

What that means to you is...

This a major conflict of interest because now, they have all of your customers' information, which they can use to actively market and essentially steal your customers.

So, this is something to be considered, in deciding to continue to be affiliated, as a AAA certified shop.
    • By Joe Marconi
      AAA has a long history, and has been a partner to the auto repair and service industry, especially with Approved Auto Repair (AAR) certification for the independent auto repair shops. But, in recent years the AAA has caused a lot of friction among shop owners, resulting in many shop dropping their affiliation with the AAA. For a number of reasons, I too have decided not to renew my AAR contract with the AAA.

Let me be clear, AAA is regional, so the northeast may have a slightly different program from the southwest. But, we need to remember, that the AAA in the eyes of the consumer is one brand and they do cross channels with their concepts and objectives.

AAA has competing shops in some areas in the country, and in some regions wants a backdoor access to the shop's customer information through the shop's business management system. This is a step in the wrong direction.

Whether you are an AAR shop or not, you need to be informed on this important issue.

Below are a links to a few recent articles in Ratchet and Wrench, one written by Mitch Schneider.

I strongly urge you to read them.

http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/RatchetWrench/December-2015/Vision-and-Visionaries/

http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/RatchetWrench/April-2016/Regional-AAA-Network-Changes-Put-Pressure-on-Shops/
    • By Joe Marconi
      The controversy is heating up as we move closer and closer to self-driving cars. Below is a link to an article in Body Shop Business Magazine.

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/aaa-survey-finds-three-quarters-of-americans-are-afraid-to-ride-in-a-self-driving-car/?eid=284835314&bid=1336714
    • By Joe Marconi
      The AAA is growing a chain of repair shops in the mid-Atlantic states. AAA started in 2011, and now have 11 repair shops which they use to sell insurance, increase membership and perform automotive repairs. AAA plans on opening up more facilities in the next few years. AAA has different clubs across the country and each have different strategies.

As an AAA Approved repair shop in New York, you can only imagine that there are questions I would like to have answered.

Below is a link to an article in Tire Business Magazine.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140804/ISSUE/308049999/going-clubbing-for-car-repairs-competition-growth-strategy