Quantcast

Elon Block

Are you in the AAA certified shop program?

Hi everyone,

In case you hadn't heard, here's something you need to be aware of...

AAA is making some changes, in the way they are doing business.

Within the last few years, AAA has decided to build their own company-owned facilities.

Here is a link, with an example of search results, drivers will see when they type in a zip code:
http://bit.ly/2bk7prG

Pay special attention to the search results marked (AAA Owned Facility).

The facilities are impressive and are gaining traction:
http://midatlantic.aaa.com/Automotive/ClubOwnedRepair/Aboutus/New

As you can see, their slogan is, "Auto Repair From A Name You Trust".

This is genius marketing, on their part...

Because customers equate the AAA logo, as a shop they can trust.

The other major change they've made is...

The new requirements for the AAA certification renewal.

Many shop owners did not read the fine print or notice the changes to the agreement.

In other words, the fine print requires certified shops to give AAA access to the shop's customer database.

The biggest concern is if you give them access to your customer database and then, they open a AAA Owned Facility, in your backyard...

They now have a built-in customer base they can market to.

What that means to you is...

This a major conflict of interest because now, they have all of your customers' information, which they can use to actively market and essentially steal your customers.

So, this is something to be considered, in deciding to continue to be affiliated, as a AAA certified shop.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Making 2019 Your Best Year Ever

December spells the end of 2018, and hopefully you're wrapping up what was a fantastic year for your auto repair shop and business. Now… it’s time to start thinking about how to make 2019 an EVEN BETTER year. (Heck, let’s go ahead and plan on making it your best year ever! Right?) By attending for this special Live Online Webinar, you're going to get the proven 4-step process that will practically GUARANTEE 2019 to be a blow-out success for you. With these four steps, you’ll be able to… 👉 ==> DOUBLE your take-home pay (Yes, that’s not a misprint. I’ll show you how.)
      👉 ==> Magnetically attract more (and even better!) customers to your shop
      👉 ==>  Easily sell your services at higher prices than your competitors
      👉 ==>  Find, hire, and keep that elusive tech you’ve been searching for
      👉 ==>  Put the fun back into running your shop! If you're interested... there is absolutely ZERO cost to attend this training. All you'll need is 45 minutes of your day set aside in order to watch this webinar live. For the dates, times, and registration details,  CLICK HERE

By Ron Ipach, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 0 replies
    • Article: Picture This - - Hard to believe I wrote this 20 years ago.

Picture This   Years ago my younger brother came to work for me. He didn’t know a thing about cars, but was willing to learn all he could. Teaching new techs is an art that most shop owners have to learn to do, but teaching your little brother can be a chore and can test your patience. I muddled thru it all and taught him what I could. I was sure at some point in time the two of us would butt heads like brothers will do, and he would take his new found skills and move up in the rank and files of the automotive technical world, but in the meantime it was his turn to learn from his older brother.   When he first started I would walk him through each step of how to diagnose a certain system in a car. A lot of times he would have questions, and I’d do my best to answer them. He learned quickly and was really sharp at picking up some of those little details that are harder to teach. You know things like how you held a certain wrench or used a certain tool, to you and me it’s no big deal. But to a novice, it’s a revelation, then you (I) tend to forget to mention those certain traits while you’re teaching. Mainly because you are trying to get to the solution as efficiently as possible, and you neglect to bring it up. Such as: “always test your test light connection before testing what you’re testing, or don’t forget to check for all your tools before you pull the car out of the shop….” Things like that.   One day we had a truck come in with dual fuel tanks on it. The gas gauge wasn’t working and needed some attention. This was a perfect opportunity for Junior to learn a few of my short cuts on these old models. It was an older Ford, in which the tank gauge ran thru the tank switchover button. It was rather easy to pull it out of the dash and connect to the gauge from the back of the switch. Luckily it was the typical problem I’ve seen a hundred times in the past. The switch connections would melt and the tank wouldn’t switch from the front tank to the rear, and of course the gauge wouldn’t move either.   After locating the correct leads to the gauge and to the tanks I decided to show him how the gauge worked. I hooked up the one of the tanks to the crossover lead that would supply the signal from the tank to the gauge.   “Ya see this, that’s the lead to the fuel gauge in the dash, and this is one of the tank wires. I’ll connect these together and we should get a reading on the dash,” I told him. He was watching intently, taking in all the wiring diagram information, the location of the wires, and how I was bypassing the switch. He was fascinated with the flow of the current and the way the gauge would respond. I even went as far as moving the gauge from full to empty by opening and closing it to a ground signal. While I had his attention I filled him in on the two types of gauges that were used back then (bimetallic and magnetic) and how low resistance on a bimetal type gauge would read near a full tank, while a magnetic gauge would read close to empty. Change the resistance and the gauge would/should read accordingly.   “So, if we put gas in the tank the gauge should move right? That way we could check the sending units in the tanks too,” he asked me.   “Great idea, grab a gas can and let’s add a few gallons,” I said, excited that he was so interested in the project.   He grabbed a can of gas and poured a few gallons in the tank. I was watching the gas guage carefully, but there was no movement. I knew I was on the right wires, but nothing was happening. Now what? Are there more problems?   “Crawl under there, and check to be sure the wire color is correct,” I yelled from the cab to him.   “Yep, it’s the right wire on the tank.”   “Well, we might have to pull the tank; it’s not changing the gauge readings up here.”   “Before we do that let’s add some more gas, maybe we didn’t add enough,” Junior tells me.   I thought I better go back and help hold the funnel, while he poured the gas in the tank. Unknowing to me, all this time my wife (who was the office manager) was listening in on the whole thing. She likes to keep tabs on me, and make sure I’m not going into one of my usual rants or having a fit because I had to explain something over and over again to little brother. This time she was standing at the corner of the shop just behind the truck with a camera. “CLICK”, I heard the camera shutter go off and she was back there laughing like there was no tomorrow.   “What’s so funny?” I asked her.   “You two idiots have been putting gas in the wrong tank. You’re on the front tank, and you’re putting gas in the rear tank,” my wife answers, laughing hysterically. About then the camera “clicked” again… this time it was an action shot taken at precisely the exact moment when these two idiots had that dumb struck look on their faces and realized what they just did. The shot had both of us on our knees, one holding a funnel and the other with the half empty gas can, and both of us staring right into the camera lens. Couldn’t have set it up any better if you tried. The picture clearly showed the side of the truck with both fuel tank doors visible and there was no doubt which tank we were putting in the extra gas. I guess it was one of those things I should have mentioned when we were checking the tank senders… make sure we are both on the same tank. For years that picture hung over her desk, and anytime I thought I was so smart she would point at the photo. Usually with that typical smirk, usually shaking her finger at me and of course the laugh… she had to laugh, but it wasn’t all that funny until she had me laughing about it too. Ok, Ok, I’m not perfect... and now my little brother knows it too.   These days he’s a top notch tech at a dealership, and I have to call him on occasions for some help on how to solve things once in a while. Oh the photo… uhmmm… what photo?? Somehow it’s missing… haven’t seen the darn thing in years. But I guess I really don’t need to see the photo … the wife has a pretty good memory... she reminds me just how smart I think I am every chance she gets.           Click here to view the article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 5 replies
    • [Webinar] Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you

If you struggle to know what to do with your shop’s negative reviews, then you don’t want to miss this RepairPal Modern Shop Owner Webinar with Mike Carrillo of AutoShopFollowUp and Jill Trotta of RepairPal.  
      They'll explain exactly how to reply to negative reviews and get your ratings back on track.

Bonus: Share one of your shop’s negative reviews during the webinar and get Mike’s help in responding—on the spot!

In this 1-hour webinar class, you’ll discover:

* 5 components of a successful reply to a negative review (steal this formula)

* Examples of replies that worked—and a few that didn’t (real-life scenarios to guide you)

* How to craft a reply to an actual negative review for your shop (get Mike’s help during the webinar)

Join us for this 1-hour training and be prepared to respond to any unhappy customer in a reputation-saving way.

Negative reviews happen to even the best shops, so don’t let them get you (or your sales) down. 

You don't want to miss it!  Sign up today

Webinar: Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you.

Date: July 13, 2017

Time: 1pm Pacific, 2pm Mountain, 3pm Central, 4 pm Eastern

There is no cost to attend, but you do need to register to gain access.  
      Can't attend? Register anyway and we'll send you the recording!

By rmiller, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
    • [Upcoming Webinar] Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you

If you struggle to know what to do with your shop’s negative reviews, then you don’t want to miss this RepairPal Modern Shop Owner Webinar with Mike Carrillo of AutoShopFollowUp and Jill Trotta of RepairPal.

They'll explain exactly how to reply to negative reviews and get your ratings back on track.

Bonus: Share one of your shop’s negative reviews during the webinar and get Mike’s help in responding—on the spot!

In this 1-hour webinar class, you’ll discover:

* 5 components of a successful reply to a negative review (steal this formula)

* Examples of replies that worked—and a few that didn’t (real-life scenarios to guide you)

* How to craft a reply to an actual negative review for your shop (get Mike’s help during the webinar)

Join us for this 1-hour training and be prepared to respond to any unhappy customer in a reputation-saving way.

Negative reviews happen to even the best shops, so don’t let them get you (or your sales) down. 

You don't want to miss it!  Sign up today

Webinar: Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you.

Date: July 13, 2017

Time: 1pm Pacific, 2pm Mountain, 3pm Central, 4 pm Eastern

There is no cost to attend, but you do need to register to gain access.  
      Can't attend? Register anyway and we'll send you the recording!

By rmiller, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 0 replies
    • Help me vote on a new logo for our new shop! Poll link inside

Hey ASO community, we are planning on opening a general repair shop and we had some logos created. Please vote and help us narrow down our choice. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!     http://www.designcrowd.com/vote/essential-auto-care-logo-poll

By mspecperformance, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 2 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Andrew Cutler
      This is a rant, pure and simple, but I hope that it can serve as a cautionary tale for others.  Unifirst came in with a proposal as the "AAA preferred uniform vendor".  As we are a AAA approved shop we qualified for special pricing, almost 30% less than what we were paying at that time.  We gave them our business and it has been a cluster since.  It took almost 6 months for them to deliver, and when they did the sizes were all over the map.  About half of my employees (and myself) had to have size changes.  They embroidered all our dark shirts with dark logos and had to re-do them which took months.  They actually embroidered them wrong TWICE before they got it right.  My tech's shirts came back with with huge oil and rust stains after their first washing and have never been clean since.  The towels are usually oily and sometimes have metal shavings in them.  They routinely mis-deliver and fail to deliver uniforms, leaving techs short for the week.  I've had the service manager, plant manager, and regional manager all in my office to tell me that this would all be corrected, to no avail.  We have a new service starting in December and I anticipate threats to sue on the three year agreement they require.  I've been cataloging, photographing and corresponding with them over the past 8 months and I am confident that we can prove that they are unable to provide anything close to the level of service they promised.  I have learned, yet again, that you get what you pay for.  Don't let Unifirst in the door.
    • By brian lorenzo
      I have an opportunity to rent a 3rd location in a fairly busy area with a lot of potential. Problem is the current shop that is there owns the building and is moving 3 1/2 miles down the road will be the land lord. 

Is this a good idea? anyone else have this situation?
    • By Elon Block
      There are some interesting statistics about the industry, in this article:
      http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101171307072&ca=661034f5-54fb-4cde-a898-627f75ff2711
      What do you think the challenges and opportunities are for you and your business?
    • By Joe Marconi
      AAA has a long history, and has been a partner to the auto repair and service industry, especially with Approved Auto Repair (AAR) certification for the independent auto repair shops. But, in recent years the AAA has caused a lot of friction among shop owners, resulting in many shop dropping their affiliation with the AAA. For a number of reasons, I too have decided not to renew my AAR contract with the AAA.

Let me be clear, AAA is regional, so the northeast may have a slightly different program from the southwest. But, we need to remember, that the AAA in the eyes of the consumer is one brand and they do cross channels with their concepts and objectives.

AAA has competing shops in some areas in the country, and in some regions wants a backdoor access to the shop's customer information through the shop's business management system. This is a step in the wrong direction.

Whether you are an AAR shop or not, you need to be informed on this important issue.

Below are a links to a few recent articles in Ratchet and Wrench, one written by Mitch Schneider.

I strongly urge you to read them.

http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/RatchetWrench/December-2015/Vision-and-Visionaries/

http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/RatchetWrench/April-2016/Regional-AAA-Network-Changes-Put-Pressure-on-Shops/
    • By Joe Marconi
      The controversy is heating up as we move closer and closer to self-driving cars. Below is a link to an article in Body Shop Business Magazine.

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/aaa-survey-finds-three-quarters-of-americans-are-afraid-to-ride-in-a-self-driving-car/?eid=284835314&bid=1336714