Quantcast

Stay Open Or Close? The Effects of the Coronavirus

My location is in Bergen County NJ about 25 minutes outside of NYC. Statistical reports released today show that NYC has the highest number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the USA. Our county has the highest number of confirmed cases in NJ. The severity of the situation in our area has prompted authorities to invoke travel curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Gas stations and vehicle repair are both considered essential services. Examples of non-essential services which are now closed are: malls, gyms, bars, barber shops, nail salons, clothing stores, movie theaters, wedding venues, department stores, gift stores, card stores, toy stores, furniture stores, shoe stores & most corporate offices. Pre-schools, public & private schools, colleges, churches, mosques, synagogues and public playgrounds are all closed. Eating in restaurants is not allowed but take out, curbside pick-up or delivery is allowed. The entire state and neighboring states are on a tight lockdown leaving most streets and highways quiet with little or no traffic. One of my techs is 67 and my brother/partner is 70. We decided it was best if they both stayed home because their age predisposes them to a possible worse outcome should they contract the virus. Both of these key people decided to stay home as bay work slowed down which worked out well. We have gas and repairs and our gas volume has dropped about 75%. I have several attendants that requested a leave of absence due to age, pre-existing medical conditions and also family pressure/fear. The loss of gas attendants came as gas volume eroded so that presented no problem. The closing of all non-essential businesses caused a self regulating slow down of both available business and available staff in a very timely manner. The authorities in our area are predicting that things will continue to get worse in the weeks ahead so I certainly could see the need to reduce hours or possibly close as less and less people venture outside their homes. I am having a meeting with my staff tomorrow and I will give them the opportunity to weigh in on matter. If my remaining staff members are willing to continue working and our customers continue to need us I plan to remain open. 

• Like 2

I,m exactly not sure what to do. I have a small shop just getting by okley. Our town is mixed income but alot of lower income people , closing the resturants hit us hard ,alot of our customer are in the hospitality buisness or older, No one knows  heare in Maryland how long were going to be shut down or if its going to get wost. Thers only 3 of us .My son and another tech Ive known for 20 year or so , I have been thinking about telling the guys im laying them off so as to get unemployment while I wait to see what fedral and local goverment is going to do , I can keep working and my son can volenteer? Just to keep us open until aid happens , I'm only a week or so away from not making payroll. Any input good bad ?????? I'm feeling alone

Road traffic is at an all time low as well as our gas volume. Two of my key full time gas attendants and one part time attendant told me today that they are unable to continue working because of health concerns. Totally understandable but my island staff has now been reduced from 10 employees last week to one full time and two part time employees as of today. Impossible to cover our normal gas island business hours from 6am-10pm so I needed to substantially reduce hours Monday thru Saturday and close completely on Sunday. Not my desire but I have no choice. Bays are very busy which is a bit strange considering what is going on around us.

... and if you are remaining open - communicate that with your customers! Above that, tell them what you're doing - tell them the steps you're taking to make it safe for them. Yes, this will pass. But the problem is you need to communicate this message now! If you're looking for what to say, I just released a video that details what Car Count Hackers are doing - and they're getting calls and thanks and return text messages too! Oh, some are even booking appointments - because let's face it - the virus doesn't know when your car is due for service!

Hope this helps!

Matthew
"The Car Count FIxer"

P.S.: Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers! FREE Help to grow your Car Count, Income and Profit! 
P.P.S.: Like and Follow Car Count Hackers on Facebook
P.P.P.S: Start texting your customers TOMORROW - GET A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL NOW!

Hi Joe!

Our Auto Body Shop in Valencia remains open as normal time (8-6 pm). We have less no. of workers due to Covid-19. And yeah it affects customers badly. We totally concern over social distancing and takes special care while working. We do have follow up customers via call when repair work is done. 

Our Shop Location:

Valencia - Network Auto Body INC

24854 Avenue Rockefeller
Valencia, CA, 91355

• Like 1

With all due respect, I think we'll be lucky if this only goes on for two more weeks. From what I'm hearing from various sources is that it could easily go on until the end of June... and some say that's in a "best case scenario". I said it before, but if you're the type of shop owner that complained about buying fire insurance and are now trying to get insurance while your house is on fire, you may not survive the new economy. (Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but right now, there isn't any sugar to make the medicine go down easier). ;-/

Hope this helps!

Matthew
"The Car Count Fixer"

P.S.: Join me on this brand new training - How to Protect Your Repair Shop and Prosper

• Like 1

During the 1918 Flu pandemic historians said it took people 3-4 years to get back to "normal". I am staying positive but I'm concerned.  I think if everyone goes back to work in a few months it will be a miracle. I'm thinking 12-18 months minimum. I'm hoping that there will be school in September but I'm not even too sure about that at this point. 

• Like 2

Good day..

I have submitted our application for the EIDL and for the PPP relief, thinking that this would help us...

Keep in mind, this process will take time but I am sure it is moving, any chance we have at it, it's better then nothing at all.

On the Payroll issue, our company does not have employees, we are independent contractors, so pay roll won't work for us, even though I record our pay checks, and at the end of the year we get a 1099.

...but any of these loans will certainly help for our fix expenses, rent, utilities and such.

In other words, we all qualify due to these Expenses. The PPP will help us to be and remain open until the new normal...

The sales that we might have until we get to the new normal, it will only help us just to get money to cover part of our fix expenses and take home.

Keep in mind, a lot of our customers, might be out of work.

This is my plan on the works,😁

Note: and here's my contributions to this commune and be known for, I learned this from my old Boss "Hope is not a Plan JP"

"HOPE IS NOT A PLAN"

• Like 1

"My banker just told me that 1099s don’t count because 1099’people are eligible to apply themselves. I had quite a bit of 1099 last year and it don’t count."

Exactly, I was never a Banker, but I am an accountant by profession and Business owner/Mechanic by trade.

therefore we should focus on how justify/paper trail to our expenses..

Tell your accountant to run your 2019 P&L and look at your expenses and go down the lines.. if u get the loan, that's whats going to cover along with payroll if any employees.

That will give you and idea. Also do the pay roll for those that are employees, just to get an idea and be familiar with what the banker is going to request.

if you keep receipts it's justifiable, Ex: lease agreement, utilities 

at the time, the Bankers are still getting familiar on the process itself.

I bank with Wells Fargo and my banker didn't know much. I knew more than him...

The process it's barely going to get in place/done by the government and then given to implement to the banks and then to us...

In my humble opinion, we might get the EIDL first than the PPP

We have to be Patience

JP

Edited by juanpablo4219
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 11:42 AM, JustTheBest said:

With all due respect, I think we'll be lucky if this only goes on for two more weeks. From what I'm hearing from various sources is that it could easily go on until the end of June.

We should hopefully see over the next 2-3 weeks if it peaks out or not. There needs to be a vaccine or "official" treatment for things to really calm down. 

• Like 1