Quantcast

We have been trailing NY by 1-2 weeks with everything concerning the pandemic and our indoor malls still remain closed at this time. Stores that are accessible from the street have recently reopened which does make me feel like we are getting back to normal as Joe indicated. My location is surrounded by corporate offices which also remain closed. I have been told that when they do get a green light to open that most will only allow 10% of employees to return per month. Most or all have also announced that it is ok to not return to the office and continue working from home. We may not see 50% occupancy at the corporate offices until December or later which is a concern. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, JimO said:

indoor malls still remain closed at this time

In NY malls are staying closed from what it sounds like and they'll have to put in HEPA filtration systems. Most of these malls have anchor stores and they can open though if they have an outdoor entrance. 

2 hours ago, Joe Marconi said:

I wonder what the long term effects will be wtih some businesses.  Many resturants are still not operating at full customer capacity and many other businesses are taking a hit. While there are many positive economic signs, will those businesses that are still impacted by the virus have an effect on the entire economy?

I suggest a very conserative strategy at this point, build a cash reserve, pay down debt as best you can and do not incurr new debt.  If nothing bad happens, you will still be in a better economic position. 

Your thoughts? 

I share Joe’s concern and believe that we will still continue to feel the economic turmoil that Covid has caused. To many variables in play right now with so many marginalized businesses that have tried to hang on but seem to be slowly dropping off and closing. I accept the fact that in many cases Covid did not directly cause the failure but in most cases it was the tipping point. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Summer was great for me in Minnesota, but so so going into winter. We will see what 2021 brings, but I'm trying to be prepared for an almost guaranteed downturn in the economy going forward.  I'm probably insane, but I'm adding equipment to my shop for fabrication work vs. repair equipment. Trying to expand into other markets as my repair work seems to be pretty stagnant even with added equipment such as the alignment machine and another lift.

We shall see what happens going forward, but it's my boat and I'll either float it or go down with it. 

• Like 1