Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
CAautogroup

What To Do When Tools Go Missing?

Any thoughts on what to do when tools go missing at the shop? These are tools that I have personally purchased for our employees to use and service vehicles with, but recently I have noticed several tools are missing- pliers, screw drivers, oil filter wrenches, sockets, etc.

Some of our techs might have possibly left them behind while servicing customers vehicles which is a liability on its own in case something were to happen or get stuck. In fact, we have had about two customers coming back to return them to us.

Any opinions on how to handle this matter? Should I forward the cost to replace these tools among the employees equally?

Thanks in advance.

John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      We now have a nice tool available to all premium and platinum members under the tools menu, where you can view labor rates entered by our members on an easy to use map, similar to our member map. This is designed to give you an idea of where you are vs the market in your area. As you zoom in, the circle averages open up to more specific areas.

If you aren't currently a subscribed premium or platinum member, you can upgrade here.
    • By FROGFINDER
      Anybody offering vehicle pick up and drop off service at customers home or workplace? How is it going? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      The mild fall appears to have caused a slow down for many shops. We have seen this before.  But, winter tempertures are here, and the threat of snow will boost repair shops.  
    • By smittysgarae
      Wanting some opinions. I have been having a problem the last couple years with customers approving repairs and when we get the job done and call them for them to come pick up and pay they either don’t have the money all of a sudden or say they will come get it and don’t. It may sit there for months, I had one sit for two years that owed 3000 dollars. Finally got my money! Just wondering what some of you guys do? Thought of charging storage after so many days? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      The other day, a customer asked my service advisor, if he would price match a set of tires.  This customer got an online quote from the internet; a local TIre Store know for discouting tires. 
      My rule, I don't price match. My prices are competive and fair. 
      Would you price match just to get the job, and sacrifice profit?   Remember, no one really knows the true cost of any service or repair until the car is in the shop.  So, internet quotes are not set in stone.   

• Similar Tagged Content

• By autoguy
      Just getting an idea of what everyone is using for TPMS tools and sensors these days, anything new?  
    • By Dusty
      http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/casting/garagerehabshop/
      NOW CASTING 
      DISCOVERY CHANNEL WANTS TO HELP YOUR
      TROUBLED AUTO OR MOTORCYCLE BUSINESS

Do you have a commercial auto or motorcycle garage or repair shop that is troubled or failing? 

This is your chance to have Richard Rawlings of Discovery's hit series "Fast N Loud" and his expert team come to your garage, solve your problems and upgrade your space on Discovery's brand new TV show, GARAGE REHAB!

Maybe your tools, lifts and fans are old and broken or your space is falling apart. Maybe you have no idea how to successfully market your business. Maybe your management is bad or your staff doesn't get along. Whatever the case, Richard's team could invest their time and money to help make it a success!

[email protected] 
      Email your Name, Phone Number, a Recent Photo of You and Your Garage
      and tell us briefly why your shop needs this show.

• By Voltek H/EV
      Hello everyone, first post here,
      I'm in the process of opening an actual shop, i've been a mobile mechanic for 10 years. I specialize in hybrid and electric vehicles. I've been searching prices on fluid exchanger machines, lifts and other pricey equipment. I've been looking at some really cheap Chinese equipment on ebay, i'm just wondering if anyone here has successfully used any of this equipment. It's tempting but I know the old "you get what you pay for" mantra. They got lifts for $1,600 and ATF fluid exchangers for $335. Might be worth trying the fluid exchanger on some of my own vehicles for that price. I appreciate any input, thank you!
    • By brian lorenzo
      I am need of some advise. So the last year and a half we have had an up and down roller coaster of a ride. I have spent pat of my time trying to get our newest location up and running and neglected our original. In that time I have had a rash of "bad" employees, both techs and counter people. Quite a few upset customers and quite a turn over. 1 or 2 in particular have completely destroyed our reputation. We lost our core clientele as well as low car caking l, aro and overall phone calls and business. During this stretch, we would have great months when I or my GM would be there full time, then the complaints, and crash when we relaxed. April this year we had our worst month since 2008 right after 4 consecutive good months. Does anyone have any type of suggestions on how to go about repairing the damage that has been done? 
    • By nick
      Hi,

I have wanted to start my own shop for a while. I am having trouble finding resources for this matter. I am wondering how you started your businesses. Capital, business plans, first year profits? I am master tech and make decent money however I have two houses and a family to support. So, to jump into a business I would need enough money to fall back on while the business grows. I would definitely start out with a small shop to keep cost down. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Nick
  • By Joe Marconi, in Automotive Management,

By Joe Marconi, in Selling Automotive Repair,

By Joe Marconi, in Automotive Management,

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors