Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Junior

Shop management software in a 2018 world

So I started a new venture and I need some new shop management software. I have a new venture where I have moved to a lower volume, high margin operation where we offer primarily concierge service to high end customers with high end vehicles. As such my current needs are very mobile, I've been doing some research, but I though I'd post up here for some additional input. What I need is an entirely mobile platform. This sticks me with SAAS based products which is fine. Finally mobile data is plentiful in all the areas I operate in. Many of the web based services out there are still designed for desktop use, and although they are mobile in a sense, they are not truly do business anywhere solutions. I need to be able to book appointments, see service history, attachments to ROs (like photos), check recommendations, start new ROs with customer complaints, accept signatures all from a mobile phone. I could live with an iPad if needed, but the phone is most ideal.

The software must have what are now a days standard features (or should be)

1. Scheduling app with integration to previous recommendations/estimates in the booking interface
    1. This should also have some CRM features such as customer reminder notifications, would be great to have multiple contacts notified as often there is a groundskeeper or administrative assistant that we are dealing with as well
  2. RO management that includes technician notes, photos attachments, service recommendations and job status (linked to procurement management when parts need ordering)
  3. Ability to link service recommendations to estimates and easily turn them into new ROs  
  4. Inventory management,
    1. supply chain integration is nice, procurement management for tracking when and where all the parts are coming from
  5. VIN or Plate scanning via mobile camera to start new ROs or estimates with your now common carfax VIN lookup and service history

Basically I need all the points of interaction with the customer to be completely mobile, they will not happen in the shop (usually), the RO processing itself can/will happen on a larger device such as desktop or tablet in the shop.

Is anyone working with a company that has this level of mobility yet? My research shows that many of the companies that have long been players in this industry are very slow to adopt this new way of thinking, there are a lot of new names out there though!

While I'm thinking about next level software, the software companies that know how be be ahead of the curve will soon start integrating calibration data VIA J2534 attached to the vehicle record and cross link to manufacturer databases for recommended updates. This will become increasingly important as more and more vehicles integrate complex self driving, in car entertainment and safety features that will require updating. Automatically notify technician of TSBs related to a vehicle and include other data integration features like this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Gonzo
      The A-B-C's of Auto Mechanics

Turn the pages of most automotive labor guides, and you'll see not only the "guestimated" time for a certain job, but also the level of skill required to perform that certain repair. I've always wondered who wrote those skill levels and determined what type of technician should be able to handle a particular repair. What would be the outcome if a higher skilled technician did the same job, and how do you determine a technician's skill level in the first place?

I completely agree that a first year tech won't have the same skills as a seasoned veteran. But what about all those people who use the word "mechanic" in such a loose term to explain what they do for a living? Lately I've been taking a completely different view of how I interpret those skill levels. I was thinking, maybe those levels need a more descriptive way of explaining what these skills actually are. Maybe I could enlighten the writers of those labor guides as to what I think they mean, and how it relates to the real world where you find those technicians who are really doing the work. Not in some environment where people are watching the techs every move with a stop watch.

Let's start with my descriptions of each of the skill levels.

A - "A" mechanic - is truly "A" technician/mechanic. Someone who has the ability to diagnose, repair and complete a project without any assistance. An "A" mechanic will have years of experience and keeps up with the advanced training needed to do his/her job correctly.

B - "B" mechanic - This is a tech who is trying to achieve the status of an "A" mechanic. I sometimes refer to them as "wanna B" mechanics. Most "B" mechanics have past tinkering experience, and have turned a few bolts in their day. Obviously, training is a big part of their future. These types of techs need to learn not only how to be a good tech, but how to walk, talk, and perform the required repairs like an "A" mechanic. (However, some techs stay at this level their entire career)

C - "C" mechanic - The worst kind. These are the most prolific type of technician out there. Most of these technicians can only repair things they can actually see. Thus... a "C" mechanic. They won't understand what they're doing, and have no desire to learn or advance up the ladder….. just make a paycheck and go home. I'm afraid to say, these are the type of "mechanics" that give the rest of the automotive world a bad name.

A perfect example of a "C" mechanic happened just the other day. A lady brought a car in because the coolant fans weren't working. She had it at another shop prior to coming to me, and they noticed the coolant fan had melted the connector and the fan motor housing. Before even consulting with her they removed the melted parts, and took them up to the lobby where the lady was waiting. They proceeded to give her the hard sell, and told her that the car was unsafe to drive.

As she pointed out to me, "What choice did I have? They already had it torn apart, even though I didn't ask them to. I didn't know what else to do, I was stuck there. Since they showed me the parts, I assumed they knew what they were doing."

So, how did her car end up at my shop? If you couldn't guess by now... the fans still weren't working. I proceeded to do some diagnostic work, and determined the problem. The first thing I noticed was that all the clips, fasteners, and wire tie downs were either completely missing or never put back into place, which left all the wiring and other various parts dangling behind the fan housing and very close to the exhaust manifold. As I looked into it a bit further I found they never plugged in one of the two fans. I checked the connector they had installed (from a salvage yard) and found that two of the four wires were installed backwards. Not that big of a deal, it would only have made one fan run on low speed while the other was on high. Easy fix, so far. After plugging everything in, I used the scanner to cycle the fans on. That's when I found the fan they left unplugged was bent and twisted. The motor was rubbing against the fan shroud, and even after freeing up the motor it wasn't hard to tell the motor itself was burnt from not being able to turn freely. (Nice install job guys…)

After giving the customer the bad news, she called the other shop. It wasn't long before I got the call from them. The mechanic started to tell me the condition of the original fan motor, I quickly shut him down, (which he said was rather rude of me... because he was just trying to tell me how he found it.) I didn't care how he found it... I wanted to know... what YOU did to it. Because right now, I've got to undo whatever it is that you've done in order to properly repair it. The problem you had with it isn't the problem I'm having with it; it's more of a problem you probably created from installing it.

This guy was definitely a "C" mechanic. He saw a problem and naturally assumed he could fix it. But while explaining things to me I realized this guy was trying to step up a notch on the automotive technician evolution ladder. He's worked his way to a low end "wanna B" mechanic. Now he's trying to explain the problem to me, but not in any terms that would make sense to any well trained mechanic. It was like talking to a complete novice about a car problem. He knew nothing about how to diagnose the problem just how to change the parts.
      "I saw smoke come out of the motor, so there's something wrong," this novice parts changing "mechanic" told me.

What's worse, he left the customer paying for all these issues. He should have sent it over himself, and not made the customer assume the responsibility. The customer has already spent time and money to have the car repaired, but it's not fixed yet.

I realize as a customer it's hard to find someone with an "A" mechanic skill level. I know as a shop owner/technician I run across a lot of "wanna B" mechanics, and see even more "C" mechanics in and out of the trade. Attending advanced classes, lectures, conventions, and being certified is some of the ways to keep up with the new technology. But those labor guides don't cover all that information. You're left to figure out if it's an A, B or C mechanic at the other end of the wrench.

So you C, to B an "A" mechanic you need a variety of expertise. Some you'll gain over years of experience, others you'll pick up from other good techs or schools. It really does take some skills… just because you can hang a few parts on a car doesn't make you … … … "A" mechanic.

I've never been one to take it lightly when I run across a person who calls themselves a mechanic after they've screwed up a customers car. I'm not so pissed at the customer, because they're just trying to save a few bucks on car repair and really don't have a clue what a good tech would do to make the repairs. These "C" mechanics out there should stick to working on their own heaps rather than on the general publics cars.

Click here to view the article

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Junior
      There is a software package called Complete Auto Reports (CAR), based in NJ. Wondering if anyone is using this software or demoed it? I reached out to them a few months ago to see the software, had a very poor interaction with the representative I dealt with. I still haven't found the software that works best for me so I'm still evaluating packages. I'm thinking about reaching out again and hope my experience was just a bad apple and not representative to the company as a whole. Wondering if anyone else here has any experience with them

• By Alex
      Google has a great tool that allows you to check the mobile "friendliness" of your website. Just enter your website url at Google dedicated page: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
      You should get something like:

If you don't, time to look into updating your website 😁

• By ncsvoboda7
      So I am moving away from the automotive industry and will be staring a mobile heavy diesel repair and service business.

Does anyone have any good contacts or know of any forums that would be of benefit to me to get some mentoring and some advice from the pros?

Thanks in advance!
    • By Alex
      We all know that Google rules the internet in terms of searches that drive traffic to websites. ASO alone receives 75-80% of its traffic from Google, then Bing. So ranking in search results is very important for website traffic. That being said, Google is now going to put weight on the "mobile friendliness" of websites and rank those that have a mobile layout, better. Starting April 21st, Google will use its new algorithm to re-rank results based on how well a website renders on mobile screens.

So if your website does not have a mobile layout, get with the webmaster or company that designs your site and make sure you have a mobile version working properly.

Below is a recent post from Google this past Feb. Source: Link

Webmaster level: all

When it comes to search on mobile devices, users should get the most relevant and timely results, no matter if the information lives on mobile-friendly web pages or apps. As more people use mobile devices to access the internet, our algorithms have to adapt to these usage patterns. In the past, we’ve made updates to ensure a site is configured properly and viewable on modern devices. We’ve made it easier for users to find mobile-friendly web pages and we’ve introduced App Indexing to surface useful content from apps. Today, we’re announcing two important changes to help users discover more mobile-friendly content:
      1. More mobile-friendly websites in search resultsStarting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results. Consequently, users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.

To get help with making a mobile-friendly site, check out our guide to mobile-friendly sites. If you’re a webmaster, you can get ready for this change by using the following tools to see how Googlebot views your pages:
      If you want to test a few pages, you can use the Mobile-Friendly Test. If you have a site, you can use your Webmaster Tools account to get a full list of mobile usability issues across your site using the Mobile Usability Report. 2. More relevant app content in search resultsStarting today, we will begin to use information from indexed apps as a factor in ranking for signed-in users who have the app installed. As a result, we may now surface content from indexed apps more prominently in search. To find out how to implement App Indexing, which allows us to surface this information in search results, have a look at our step-by-step guide on the developer site.
      If you have questions about either mobile-friendly websites or app indexing, we’re always happy to chat in our Webmaster Help Forum.
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors