Quantcast

I'm trying to make a decision whether or not to buy a brake lathe. Since brake rotors are not very pricey do you think is better to just sell complete brake job pads and rotors instead of turning them? One of the independent shops I used to work for did not have a brake lathe and it worked out pretty good for him. Does anyone else use this approach, or is a brake lathe needed?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By spencersauto
      What are you charging for tire rotations and brake inspections if brakes are not done?
      We charge $16.00 for a rotation and a general brakes check for .50hr or $48.00
    • By Alex
      Automotive Brake Pads

What is your preferred brand of automotive brake pads and why?
      Who is the supplier of that brake pad to you?
      What is the warranty on those pads?
      Who manufactures those brake pads?
      What grade are those brake pads, low end, mid, high end?
      Are they ceramic, semi-metallic, organic, or blend?
    • By Joe Marconi
      I met the Pro Cut Brake Lathe rep at a TECH NET, CARQUEST conference. I know of Pro Cut (on the car brake lathe) and know a lot of new car dealers use the machine. I just don't know how it makes sense these days. We replace more rotors now than any time in history.

Any thoughts on this????????

Is the link to the web site: http://www.procutinternational.com/lathes.aspx
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      Any of you have seen this deal from Mavis?

http://imgur.com/l6g8PMB

http://www.mavistire.com/?kmas=1&kmca=91770970572-mavis-e-g&kmag=AN:MAV|PB:G|TT:SN|CD:Branded|GT:New_Jersey&kmkw=mavis&kmmt=e&gclid=CIa2mNnH6cwCFRRZhgod1-gFdQ

Talk about doing the desperate thing to bring people in through the door.
    • By IntegrityAutoCare
      Ok, before you all begin assaulting and attacking me for being a half ass mechanic...let me explain:

I AM NOT posting this because I make a practice of replacing only one brake rotor or because I want to argue a case in favor of such practice. I, like most of you I imagine, have always been taught and trained to replace/refinish brake rotors ONLY in pairs. NO EXCEPTIONS. Or else the world will explode! haha...ok, well, maybe not the world I guess. But presumably something really bad will happen.

But do any of you ever get asked by the customer WHY you had to replace both rotors when only one was "bad"? What do you tell them? Do you just make something up, spout off the same generic response that your old boss/instructor/teacher/mentor, etc. told to you about how you need rotors of the same thickness for equal stopping force blah blah blah or do you actually KNOW the concrete scientific reasoning behind this "universal truth"? I myself am a little fuzzy on the details. It seems like I am constantly having to explain to customers that I had to replace BOTH brake rotors, but when they ask me why, I don't really know exactly. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with either a detailed explanation or a link to some technical artical that will explain it.

I will also accept personal experience as evidence such as "I tried replacing only one rotor one time and the customer was back the very next week in a full body cast with his lawyer pushing the wheel chair."

Ready: GO
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors