Quantcast

Reggie

Holiday/vacation pay for flat rate employees

We recently switched from hourly to flat rate for our techs. I am having a hard time figuring out what to pay an employee if they have taken vacation times. What rate do I pay them at?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Hands On
      I need to find some employees fast and I am having no luck, anyone willing to help me write an advertisement or help me with postings, over the phone or through e-mail, please let me know.
      Just found this, not feeling good about this.
      https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/automotive-technician/can-t-do-it-anymore/t459836
    • By Joe Marconi
      As shop owners, we sometimes feel that we need to answer every question and handle every situation. While you need to be proficient as a business owner, you also need your employees to think for themselves. 

Empower your people to solve problem.  Ask them for their opinions and don’t be too quick to jump in on every situation.  The more you jump in and solve their problems, the more they will rely on you. This is not to say you don’t have their back; but a team functions best when everyone takes ownership of their position and takes responsibility to take care of problems.

Will employees make mistakes? Yes.  But there isn’t a shop owner on this planet that has a perfect record at making decisions.  We all make mistakes.

As a shop owner; teach, mentor and coach.  Include your employees in on decisions that relate to their job position.  When employees feel you trust them, they will begin to solve their own problems. This will set you free to work on the things that will bring you greater success.

• By spencersauto
      What's your houlr labor rate and where are you located? We're currently at $95 in Texas
    • By Joe Marconi
      There has been a lot of controversy recently with flat rate pay plans.  Below is a link to an article about a technician's strike that was held in Chicago. Although the strike and issues in the article centered around dealerships, the article brought up good points about flat rate pay, and the low hourly pay many techs receive.  It points to reasons why many techs are unhappy, leaving the industry and why we have issues attracting quality people to our industry. 
      I don't want to start a firestorm, and there are many forms of flat rate pay...but, is it time to rethink flat rate pay plans?  And also, we really need to compensate our employees at a standard that is in line with the training, the tools that are required and skills needed these days. 
      I think it is worth your while to read the article and start a conversation on this topic.
      http://www.autonews.com/article/20171023/RETAIL05/171029996/

• By ncautoshop
      We've been running adds for months, (AdWords, facebook, monster and many other sites) and just can't find quality candidates! I was thinking it was just us, be it the shop, methods or maybe am unsaid reputation but I've been talking to other shops and folks who frequent other shops (tool dealers, part suppliers etc) and they say everyone in a 100 mile radius is hiring but can't find help.
      Any insight? Are we alone in this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors

• Similar Tagged Content

• By TallmadgeTire
      I'm curious to hear about pay structures out there that are successful.  We pay all of our techs hourly, regardless of what is billed, and then offer a bonus program based on productivity each week.  Ie, they bill 60% of the time they were paid for, they get $xx additional dollars per hour, bill 70%, get $x, bill 80%, get $x etc etc.
      Anyone have any pay structures that are working well for them that they would want to share?  I've debated flat rate, but not sure how other non-billable tasks would get handled - ie unloading tire deliveries, cleaning up the shop, shuttling customers, etc.  
      Our current structure seems difficult for the techs to track, so I'm hoping to simplify as well as motivate them.  
    • By Reggie
      How do you spit time when one of your flat rate team members is off for part or all of a day?