Quantcast
Joe Marconi

Why Are Some Shops Afraid of Charging for Analysis?

Sometimes I feel like I’m alone on a deserted island. I charge for diagnostic analysis. Why? Because I know what cost is to buy the tools, equipment, information systems, training and pay a technician to professionally and accurately diagnosis a check engine light, air bag, ABS or any other complicated problem. But, I feel a lot of shops are willing to give this up in hopes to get the work. In my opinion all they are doing is digging themselves in a hole.

And, I have heard all the reasons:

“If the customer gives me the job, I waive the analysis”.

“I package the analysis into the repair, so the customer does not see the diag charges”

“I will lose customers if I charge analysis”

And the best yet: “It only took me 10 minutes to diag the O2 sensor, so I can’t charge diag labor”.

Waiving the analysis is the same as a doctor waiving the x-rays and blood tests. They don’t do it, we should not either. I will also challenge those who “package” the analysis into the repair. You mean to tell me that after taking 1 hour to find a faulty mass air sensor, you will add the 1 hour to the 5 minutes it takes to install a new mass air? Come on, we all know the truth.

And let’s address the 10 minutes it took to find the failed O2 sensor. Did it really take 10 minutes? NO, it took years of training, years of experience, the investment in the right equipment and the investment in the right information systems. Why we sometimes diminish what we are truly worth is amazing. No other profession does that.

Sorry for being so tough on this topic, but business is hard enough these days and people question everything. If shops don’t realize what they are giving up, it makes it bad for all of us.

Please tell me what you think. Agree? Disagree? Or any other thoughts....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mail Shark
      It’s critical that you understand the pain points of your targeted prospects in relation to the products and services you offer in order to be able to strategically choose the marketing content that will be most compelling for them.  This will enable your client to react and consider you for their next repair or maintenance service.  

For example, in a 2017 Survey from AAA, the findings show that one-third of drivers in the US could not afford a repair bill that was unexpected. 33.33% is a pretty significant number of vehicle owners that have tight budgets.
      With that in mind, if you offer any type of financing options for repairs, it’s important that your marketing message contains content that informs your prospects that you have options.   These options will help them get financing for their repairs or maintenance and get them back on the road fast.
      Depending upon how much content and space you have available on your marketing, there are a few different ways to promote your financing.
      Below are a few ideas to promote financing options on your direct mail marketing.
      1.    Create a burst or some other type of call out that promotes your financing option.
      2.    If you are listing other benefits your shop offers, you can include financing info here.
      · Financing Options Available
      · Quick & Easy Financing Available
      · NO Credit Check Financing
      3.    Utilize your financing company’s info, logo, etc. to create a larger impact.
      Below is an example of a new project that just came by my desk demonstrating one of the many ways to promote your shop's financing. This example shows one side of a Jumbo 8.5x10.5 postcard.
      Included is a bullet point calling out “Quick & Easy Financing Options” under the: Why Choose Auto Clinic? section.  Since this is a critical message, we placed it first in our bulleted list based on the Primacy/Recency Effect, in order to drive home to the consumer . In other words, people tend to recall information provided at the beginning of a list (Primacy), and end of a list(Recency) better than information presented in the middle of the list.
      We then reinforced this with another message addressing their customers' potential problem: “Unexpected Repair”, & our Solution “Fix it Today! $0 Down”.  In addition, we incorporated the EASYPAY FINANCE branding. 

Finally, knowing that 33% of drivers may be struggling financially is also a compelling reason to have a strategic coupon offering. Giving prospects the ability to save on repairs, in conjunction with providing them financing options, can help position you as the best option for their repairs.

Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/AutoDirectMail
    • By Mail Shark
      There’s an old adage in marketing: “features tell and benefits sell.” This is critical to keep in mind when you’re promoting your auto repair shop. If your prospective customers don’t understand the features your shop offers, how they’ll benefit from these features, and why they should consider your shop for their next repair or maintenance service, you may lose them to your competition.
      The main constraint you’ll encounter when emphasizing benefits on your direct mail is usually space. There are a lot of important elements an effective direct mail advertisement should contain, all of which are fighting for valuable space. Furthermore, putting too much information on an ad can make it cluttered and hard to read, which could diminish your return. A great solution to this problem is to provide a clear, concise, and organized list of your shop’s features that can easily be scanned by your prospects.
      Depending on the available space, there are two ways you can do this. If you have limited space, you can simply list your benefits out in a bulleted list. If you have extra space, you can list them out in conjunction with an icon to help illustrate the benefit and call additional attention to them.
      Here’s a starting point to help you develop and build a list of your shop’s features and benefits.
      Quality
      -Are your technicians ASE certified?
      -Do you offer a warranty on your work?
      -Do you offer a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee?
      Affordability
      -Do you offer any financing options?
      Comfort
      -Do you offer any amenities in your waiting room?
      Convenience
      -Do you offer any type of shuttle service or loaner car service?
      -Do you offer same day service on most repairs?
      -Do you offer early drop-off and/or after-hours pick-up?
      -Do you offer roadside assistance?
      -Do you offer online appointment scheduling?
      Trust
      -Are all repairs approved by your customer before any work is done?

Pro Tip: Make sure you give your list of benefits a header. Something like: “Why Choose XYZ Auto” or “Our Benefits For You.” or “10 Reasons to Choose XYZ”

Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/Auto-Direct-Mail
    • By Dakotaj96
      Hello everyone, some of you may have seen me around already and know I’m in the process of opening a new shop. Was wondering if any of you would be willing to share your monthy expensives with me to help me get some ideas for my business plans? Not asking for all your personal info mostly just fixed cost such as rent, insurance, equipment lease, etc. I know everyone may not want to share this but I think it will be neat to compare what other shops have to shell out each month depending on there size or location. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      With Mother's day approaching soon, plan on a Mother's Day promotions.  It could be an individual flower, like a rose, to all the Mom's a few days before Mother's day, or little boxes of candy. It does not have to be a big deal, just something that tells your customers you are thinking of them.  So, think about a small promotion and trust me, it will be a hit.
      Another marketing tip: Father's day is coming; so don't forget the dads!

• By AutoShopOwner
      Six metro Detroit auto repair shops and dealerships are under fire by the Michigan Secretary of State for allegedly not being in compliance with state regulations.
      Two repair shops were ordered to cease and desist from conducting business. The agency also summarily suspended the business registrations of four other facilities.
      According to a news release from the agency, the cease and desist orders were issued to:
      Star Motor Auto Repair, 21579 Schoenherr Road, Warren, owned by Jack Musa. The facility allegedly performed brake, electrical system and tune-up repairs without a certified mechanic. A regulation agent discovered Musa’s mechanic certification had expired, the agency said, but he was continuing to repair vehicles. Star Motors' telephone number has been disconnected and Musa could not be reached for comment. MC Auto Repair, 1650 Waterman St., Detroit, owned by Michael Castro, for allegedly operating without certified mechanics. A regulation agent completed an inspection at the facility Dec. 11, the agency said, and found Castro, whose certification had expired in July 2005, performing repairs. Castro met with department staff at a preliminary conference in January, and the temporary cease and desist order was issued Feb. 8. Castro could not be reached for comment. MC Auto Repair's number is not in service and the facility is marked "closed" on Yelp. The cease and desist orders prohibit the businesses from performing any more repairs until the facility complies with state law.
      The agency also suspended the registrations of the following businesses:
      VAN Car Co., 7101 E. Eight Mile Road, Warren, owned by Nadhem Shaiya, was suspended March 15. The dealership no longer is operating at its registered address and failed to notify the department’s Business Compliance and Regulation Division of a change of address. A preliminary conference was scheduled for Feb. 12, but the dealership owner failed to attend. Shaiya could not be reached for comment. Witko Group Inc., 33457 Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township, owned by Don Witkowski, was suspended March 18. A regulation agent attempted to conduct a lot and records inspection Feb. 6 and again Feb. 7, but the dealership was closed with no sign or hours posted. Witkowski told the Free Press on Friday that a dealership is not at the site. He said he owns the building, in which there is a separately operated auto repair business. Witkowski also said he is unaware of any suspension and has not been contacted by the secretary of state.  Mogul Trading, 2801 S. Beech Daly St., Dearborn Heights, owned by Milton Small, was suspended March 8. Lot and records inspections were attempted Jan. 16 and again Jan. 28. The dealership wasn’t open during posted business hours and couldn’t be inspected. Small could not be reached for comment. Superior Plus Auto Sales Inc., 10614 Joy Road, Detroit, owned by Ghada Chokr, was suspended March 8. A regulation agent attempted a lot and records inspection Jan. 16 and again Jan. 28. The dealership wasn’t open during posted business hours and couldn’t be inspected. Chokr could not be reached for comment. The dealerships may regain their license if they show they’ve complied with the law.  Consumers can verify whether the repair shop they are using is registered with the state by using the online search tool at ExpressSOS.com and clicking “Business Services” and then “Repair Facility Services.”
      News Source: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/03/29/michigan-auto-repair-shop-dealerships/3301802002/
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors