Quantcast

The person answering your phone may be killing your repair shop

Joe, I agree with you 100%! I'm actually surprised you made THAT MANY CALLS! But one thing I'd like to add is the fact it's not just the person on the phone - it's the FIRST 59 SECONDS. Really! We host countless website for auto repair shops, and always use a tracking phone number (so the shop owner knows what phone calls are generated from the site). But what we see that's interesting is that an overwhelming number of INBOUND calls to our repair shop clients are UNDER 60 SECONDS. 

So as much as I agree with having the right person on the phone - I believe you have to go even further - because in so many cases, you've got less than a minute to make that (all too important) first impression. 

Hope this helps! 

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"
Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers or just Google #CarCountHackers

• Like 1

Having been in telecommunications for over 25 years, I can't agree more with Joe. It is easy to have the 'newbie' answer phones and when they get really good at it, they end up getting moved to something more 'valuable' and a new neebie takes over. It's difficult not to do that but can have a major impact.

Make sure to occasionally 'mystery shop' your number. Have a friend or call while you are monitoring and make sure the experience is one that you would feel good about if you were calling a business.

A very old trick is to put a mirror by the phone or attached to the computer screen. Take a look when you're on the phone. If you're smiling it comes through in your voice and your attitude. It also helps you have a better day.

Keep Smiling!

• Like 1

Good article, Joe. Unfortunately, good phone skills don't come naturally, it takes a little training. One of my pet peeves is long phone answering scripts, which sound way too impersonal and end up getting spoken so fast that the caller doesn't even know what was said, and even if they called the right place. Smile, speak slow, company name and your name, listen, connect.

• Like 4