Quantcast

The person answering your phone may be killing your repair shop

A few weeks back I had a problem with my refrigerator.  I got a referral and called an appliance repair company. I called three times and each time I called this is what happened: "C and E appliance, please hold."  I was put on hold three times for about 5 minutes. After being put on hold each time, a women would say, "What's the problem?"  No engagement, no sign of interest for me the customer, no signs of caring.  I gave the women a brief description of the problem and each time she told me someone would call me back.  Well, no one did.

So, I called for the 4th time, and as the person answered the phone I said, "DO NOT PUT ME ON HOLD."  There was silence, so I continued.  I explained to her that she has spoken to me three times,  I left messages three times and three times you told me that someone would call me back.  She replied,  "You are talking to the wrong person, if you have any complaints, write a letter to my boss, after all he won't listen to me anyway."  I hung up the phone and called another company.

The lesson and takeaway here is simple: Who's answering your phone?  The wrong people on the phone in your shop can kill your business.  Have meetings with your people. Make sure you review your phone skills policy. If you don't have one, create one.  Empower your people to people to handle issues. And make sure you log every phone call. If you feel you have a problem, start recording phone calls. 

Your phone is your lifeline to future business.  So, please ask yourself....Who's answering your phone? 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Obsidian Motors
      Has being approved by an insurance company made a difference to your bottom line? I had a vehicle towed in recently and the customer's insurance company was to pay for the work done. About a day or two later an insurance adjuster showed up to the shop, gave an inspection and approved our location. The caveat was that the invoice he eventually submitted was a complete lowball. I'm wondering if it was that particular company (small and regional) or would a major insurance company provide a more realistic approved quote?
      Also, do you guys think it's worth it to request to be on all area insurance companies list of approved shops in the long run?
    • By Auto Fidelity Group
      Are you asking the right questions Are you overthinking the problem. At the body shop level most problems are very different than the seemingly similar problems in ADAS service. The difference might be that the car in the Bodyshop had something pulled, twisted, stretched or ripped.  

Experienced techs have stories and examples that shows even they can spend hours to find a repair that takes minutes  

Because things happen you gain knowledge but with the boss nipping at you buttocks you might want to describe your problem. If I or any other techs can help we will give you a leg up. 

• By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Word of the year: Execute  Doubled size in 2021 with employees and a second location Goals- what is your execution plan with deadlines?  Task lists Keep both locations on the same page- bring both stores together for a meeting, unifying  Be involved in associations Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. By always innovating, Dorman has led the way in growing the aftermarket. Here you will see a few examples of a Dorman OE Fix. An OE FIX is a Dorman repair solution you can’t get from the original equipment manufacturer. It means they found a situation where they believe the OEM wasn’t giving repair professionals what they wanted, so we fixed it. Everything Dorman does is centered around providing customer value, both in the quality of products, and the creativity of solutions. Our engineers and designers go out of their way to save repair technicians time and save vehicle owners money. Want to really go under the hood? Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour
      Travis Troy, Owner, Honest Wrenches, Des Moines, IA with Josh Mullins. Travis and Josh met while in college together, and after hearing about the bad experiences of others working within the automotive industry, they decided they wanted to open their own business. With the goal of providing customers with quality service and 100% honesty, Travis and Josh opened the shop in 2011. Since then, Honest Wrenches have continued to provide quality automotive repair to customers and their families in Des Moines and the surrounding communities.  Listen to Travis' Previous Episodes HERE

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      ASOG Podcast LIVE from AAPEX 2021 - Listen To This Before Building A Shop with Dan and Tara Topel
    • By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Hybrid training- virtual training brought in a new group of people with free videos and easy access to top instructors. The median income for technicians is $45,000. It starts with the business owner raising rates and paying for training.  Participate together- get the team together for online webinars  Cons of virtual- you can’t read the audience virtually, dead air. Live classes- make it interactive and fun. If you don’t make it fun you’ll lose them especially if it’s their first time going to training. Create a short ‘post test’ for after the training.  Implementing training immediately or it will be lost- recorded videos can be rewatched.  Consider signed agreement/reward system for training to hold employees accountable. Basics are the most important or you won’t be able to grasp the high-end training Sponsors- brand exposure, the content is led by the trainer Do the salespeople need to be the ones to elevate shop owners?  Classes vs seminars- in classes you are learning in order to implement Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  AAPEX 2021 is in the record books and lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm
      Pete Meier began writing for Motor Age magazine in 2006 as a free-lance contributor and joined the magazine full-time in 2010 as Technical Editor. He is an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician, with over 35 years of experience working on a wide variety of brands. He is experienced in the classroom and training center, both as a training developer and presenter. His ten years of experience producing video content and streaming webinars have also helped develop skills in video production from concept to final product. Listen to Pete's other episodes HERE
      G Jerry Truglia is well known for his automotive training through his company ATTS: Automotive Technician Training Services, where he covers topics ranging from hybrid vehicles, electricity, to Heavy Duty Truck repair. G is also a very proud founding member of the non-for profit Technician Service Training group. G Jerry Truglia Previous Episodes HERE.

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi, in Automotive Management,

By champtires, in Automotive Industry,

• Our Sponsors