Quantcast
Jump to content


Recommended Posts

A good example of how the electrical age is very helpful as well as hurtful, But honestly those comments are not very far off base are they? I have been at it for over 27 years and can't say I make but a few pennies more than I did 15 years ago.. Of course a major problem is the pay , cars have become way more technical and takes a very dedicated well trained person to diagnose, fix, and confirm the repair. That brings us to the schooling which from what I have heard from many sources that it is still basically the same as when I went to school a long time ago. 

Of course it is not totally the owners faults , it is the schooling, the people ( willingness to put in a lot of hard work and learning) , the industry , and the general public. It was stigmatized as a job for the "losers" and "rip offs" we know that is not true , but that stigma has not changed why pay "losers" and " rip offs" good money ? 

The way I see it is this industry is like any other, It booms and it crashes, We are defiantly in a crash period and have been for a long time and it is only going to get worse before it gets better. There are a lot of things that need to change in every aspect from schooling, the industry , and the public. That is a huge feat to change all this and it will take a very long time once it starts, but I don't think it will start till the "shit hits the fan"  and that will be when the industry is at rock bottom and techs can't be found.. The only silver lining to this is that the ones in the field and are good will benefit since they will be more sought out and be able to make a better living for themselves.. 

Years ago I use to make money working on cars and was able to put money away and save, now I pay bills that is all !  The cost of living has gone way, way up over the last 10-15 years but our pay has only crept up. How do entice someone into an industry like that? I know I would not do it again knowing what I know now, but that being said I will not give up and I will continue to be the best I can and keep learning all the new stuff the industry throws at me.. If I never get the financial reward at least I will have the pride in knowing I was the best I could be at what I did ! 

Put simply there needs to be a HIGHER STANDARD across the board in every aspect of this business !

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, skm said:

A good example of how the electrical age is very helpful as well as hurtful, But honestly those comments are not very far off base are they? I have been at it for over 27 years and can't say I make but a few pennies more than I did 15 years ago.. Of course a major problem is the pay , cars have become way more technical and takes a very dedicated well trained person to diagnose, fix, and confirm the repair. That brings us to the schooling which from what I have heard from many sources that it is still basically the same as when I went to school a long time ago. 

Of course it is not totally the owners faults , it is the schooling, the people ( willingness to put in a lot of hard work and learning) , the industry , and the general public. It was stigmatized as a job for the "losers" and "rip offs" we know that is not true , but that stigma has not changed why pay "losers" and " rip offs" good money ? 

The way I see it is this industry is like any other, It booms and it crashes, We are defiantly in a crash period and have been for a long time and it is only going to get worse before it gets better. There are a lot of things that need to change in every aspect from schooling, the industry , and the public. That is a huge feat to change all this and it will take a very long time once it starts, but I don't think it will start till the "shit hits the fan"  and that will be when the industry is at rock bottom and techs can't be found.. The only silver lining to this is that the ones in the field and are good will benefit since they will be more sought out and be able to make a better living for themselves.. 

Years ago I use to make money working on cars and was able to put money away and save, now I pay bills that is all !  The cost of living has gone way, way up over the last 10-15 years but our pay has only crept up. How do entice someone into an industry like that? I know I would not do it again knowing what I know now, but that being said I will not give up and I will continue to be the best I can and keep learning all the new stuff the industry throws at me.. If I never get the financial reward at least I will have the pride in knowing I was the best I could be at what I did ! 

Put simply there needs to be a HIGHER STANDARD across the board in every aspect of this business !

 

Thank you for the excellent and well thought out post. Before the thread gets to far off topic, I need a new tech.  Is anyone willing to help me write an advertisement or help me with postings, over the phone or through e-mail?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes sorry didn't mean to get off topic...  I can only give my $.02 be very honest about who you are looking for and your business. Be realistic with your expectations of them and what you want from them and yourself. Don't give in and fluff an ad to get someone. I have seen many people find "greener grass" from reading an ad and then be very upset when either the employee or employer didn't' meet the expectations . Then you are looking again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the most recent add that we put up on a number of locations. It was effective for me:

Regards, Mike

Import repair Technician well versed in diagnostics.

Company Type: Independent Repair Service
Start Date: Immediate
Posted by: Michael Moench

Technician would be responsible for inspecting, diagnosing and estimating repairs while working with a top notch service manager. Technician would be trained on all shop diagnostic equipment. Training and continuing education from multiple sources is available and is paid for by employer. $18 to $30 per hour plus benefits. Vacation pay plus shared health care.

We believe in hiring the right talent and letting them make their money! Tired of working someplace where you're just a number? We are a family owned and operated shop that's looking for you!

We are looking for an experienced Technician who wants an environment where they can be the professional that they are.

Pay is based on experience and ability. Great opportunities for all Techs and we are e$pecially interested if YOU have European and Asian import experience. Why else consider J B Import Automotive Repair? How about:

  • 5 day work week
  • NO Saturdays or Sundays; our Techs make great pay without cutting into family or personal time
  • Modern shop
  • Well-maintained equipment
  • Plenty of room and lifts for our Techs
  • Bright well maintained work areas
  • All the latest software and computer terminals in our shop
  • Professional Service Advisors who respect our Techs
  • Our customers trust our shop so we always have plenty of good business for our Techs year-round

*Even if YOU have never worked in an independent shop, we invite you to talk to us to find out more about our shop, our work and our area!

*Techs, retail warranty work here. Get paid fairly on EVERY job!

*Submit YOUR resume with confidence that all contacts with us are completely confidential. Do it TODAY!

Our benefits include:

  • Health Insurance
  • Disability Coverage
  • Paid Vacation
  • Paid Holidays
  • Provided Uniforms
  • Continued Paid Training
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Several other shops recommended Indeed to me .  They  had hired excellent  technicians  from the applicants provided. My experience was not good. After several hundred dollars spent not one viable applicant was produced. After two months  I followed the directions provided on the web site to cancel our account. Yep, next Billing cycle on our credit card was another $115 dollar charge. When I called for an explanation , I felt like I got a BS response. No refund . So, lesson learned 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 5:30 PM, Topauto said:

 Several other shops recommended Indeed to me .  They  had hired excellent  technicians  from the applicants provided. My experience was not good. After several hundred dollars spent not one viable applicant was produced. After two months  I followed the directions provided on the web site to cancel our account. Yep, next Billing cycle on our credit card was another $115 dollar charge. When I called for an explanation , I felt like I got a BS response. No refund . So, lesson learned 

I have been giving Zip Recruiter a try. I had them send me an email promising a refund in writing if it does not pan out, so far nothing, I get lots of applications from folks with experience in oil fields and fork lifts.

@Mike the Mechanic  Thank you for this, I added a lot of it to my ad, hopefully it gets me more results.

 

What platforms have you guys had success with in finding new recruits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the most successful shop owners I've met gave me a basic template idea. He states what he wants, what he can provide, and how much an A, B, or C level Tech can make if they're good. He pays to move their tool chest in and will pay to have it moved out wherever it needs to go after 6 months if the Tech isn't happy. He'll pay them a healthy sign-on bonus, half on their first day and the other half after 3 months. He clearly writes no drunks, no drugs, no excuses. It works for him and it has worked for me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Transmission Repair said:

Off and on from 1999 to 2011, our shop had a booth at various technical colleges’ career fairs.  We hired several students to train as R&R techs with the hopes of moving them up to rebuilding.  We didn’t have a very good experience with ITT Technical College in SLC nor WyoTech College in Laramie, Wyoming.  The best employee we ever hired out of a technical college came from Salt Lake Community College.  Both ITT and WyoTech are for-profit colleges.  WyoTech is part of the Corinthian College system.

 
Around 2014 or so, both ITT and WyoTech filed for bankruptcy and eventually went out of business, but I didn’t really understand why until now.  The story of why these colleges failed is the subject of a half-hour documentary on PBS’s Frontline.  Before you decide to get involved with a for-profit college, I would like to suggest to watch the short documentary, A Subprime Education, online at https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/a-subprime-education/   
 
It will also make sense why our federal government has also instituted a “student loan forgiveness” program to help students who can’t find a job in the field they were allegedly educated in.  Sad, sad, sad.

yes they are more interested in attendance than training... A sad state of affairs, money money money .. I could go on and on ranting about this kind of stuff but will spare everyone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 10:42 AM, Mike the Mechanic said:

This is the most recent add that we put up on a number of locations. It was effective for me:

Regards, Mike

Import repair Technician well versed in diagnostics.

Company Type: Independent Repair Service
Start Date: Immediate
Posted by: Michael Moench

Technician would be responsible for inspecting, diagnosing and estimating repairs while working with a top notch service manager. Technician would be trained on all shop diagnostic equipment. Training and continuing education from multiple sources is available and is paid for by employer. $18 to $30 per hour plus benefits. Vacation pay plus shared health care.

We believe in hiring the right talent and letting them make their money! Tired of working someplace where you're just a number? We are a family owned and operated shop that's looking for you!

We are looking for an experienced Technician who wants an environment where they can be the professional that they are.

Pay is based on experience and ability. Great opportunities for all Techs and we are e$pecially interested if YOU have European and Asian import experience. Why else consider J B Import Automotive Repair? How about:

  • 5 day work week
  • NO Saturdays or Sundays; our Techs make great pay without cutting into family or personal time
  • Modern shop
  • Well-maintained equipment
  • Plenty of room and lifts for our Techs
  • Bright well maintained work areas
  • All the latest software and computer terminals in our shop
  • Professional Service Advisors who respect our Techs
  • Our customers trust our shop so we always have plenty of good business for our Techs year-round

*Even if YOU have never worked in an independent shop, we invite you to talk to us to find out more about our shop, our work and our area!

*Techs, retail warranty work here. Get paid fairly on EVERY job!

*Submit YOUR resume with confidence that all contacts with us are completely confidential. Do it TODAY!

Our benefits include:

  • Health Insurance
  • Disability Coverage
  • Paid Vacation
  • Paid Holidays
  • Provided Uniforms
  • Continued Paid Training

Nice Job Post!

With your permission, I would like to use it.

Best Regards.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Hands On said:

I need to find some employees fast and I am having no luck, anyone willing to help me write an advertisement or help me with postings, over the phone or through e-mail, please let me know.

Just found this, not feeling good about this.

https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/automotive-technician/can-t-do-it-anymore/t459836

So... .what are you guys complaining about a mechanic shortage for?  Do you think it's better to be in an industry with an over supply of labor forcing prices down or an industry where you're in demand? I think you should embrace the shortage. A really large computer manufacturer where I live adjusted from making computers to tech services because anyone could buy chips and an operating system and there wasnt any profit in it for them anymore. They went from being unique in the beginning to just another commodity. Now we have the chance to be more in control of our pricing because of the shortage. Dont ignore that. If you're a real pro with quality at the top of your list you're in demand. Realize it and charge for it. You deserve a good living and sometimes smaller is even better. You can purge yourself of the low quality customers while you're shorthanded, charge an amount that's more fair to you and build from there. 

That's my old and tired perspective. ........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

         0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

    • By Joe Marconi

      Premium Member Content 

      This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, NAPA TRACS, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, and Today's Class Brin Kline shares his journey from technician to successful shop owner, highlighting the crucial role of his business coach, Bill Haas. They delve into the importance of having an accountability partner, the role of coaching in reducing stress, and how personalized guidance can help shop owners reach their full potential. Perfect for shop owners looking for insights on business coaching, this episode is packed with valuable advice and industry wisdom. Brin Kline, Shop Owner, Assured Auto Works, Melbourne, FL. Brin's previous episodes Bill Haas, Haas Performance Consulting, Bill’s previous episodes HERE. Show Notes
      Coaching in the Industry (00:01:15) Discussion about the importance of coaching in the automotive industry and the value of having a coach. Accountability and Coaching (00:07:49) The importance of having an accountability partner in coaching and its impact on business progress. Financial Security and Coaching (00:09:47) The relationship between financial security, goal setting, and coaching in business development. Business Goals and Budgeting (00:11:13) The significance of setting business goals and budgeting with the guidance of a coach. Selecting a Coach (00:13:50) Considerations for selecting a coach based on strengths and weaknesses. Affordability of Coaching (00:16:05) Discussion on the affordability of coaching and the potential benefits, even for struggling businesses. Personal Growth and Coaching (00:18:41) The importance of personal growth, humility, and willingness to change in the coaching relationship. Business changes and profitability (00:20:16) Discussion on increased profitability and the ability to make changes in the business. Gaining confidence and comfort (00:21:19) Becoming more comfortable and confident in making changes and taking action. Transition from technician to business owner (00:25:28) Concerns and challenges of transitioning from a technician to a business owner. Selecting the right coach (00:34:01) Factors to consider when selecting a coach, including industry passion and adaptability. Managing time and involvement in the industry (00:39:08) Discussion on managing time and involvement in various industry activities as a challenge. Team growth and dynamics (00:41:33) Discussion about the growth of Brin's team and maintaining a positive work environment. Commitment to the business (00:44:22) Brin's decision-making process and commitment to his business. Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X (Twitter): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                                  
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By nptrb

      Premium Member Content 

      This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

    • By carmcapriotto
      Matt Fanslow discusses the importance of understanding technicians' value, open communication about compensation, and collaborative problem-solving.
      Show Notes
      Dutch Silverstein - Straight Talk to Technicians [E018]: https://mattfanslow.captivate.fm/episode/018 Dutch Silverstein - Straight Talk to Technicians - Part 2 [E046]: https://mattfanslow.captivate.fm/episode/046 Challenges Faced by Managers and Owners (00:01:30)  Demand for Better Compensation (00:02:43)  Assessing Value and Increasing Compensation (00:04:28)  Honest Conversations and Fear (00:05:54)  Hierarchy and Fairness (00:10:16)  Improving Communication and Grace (00:15:52)  Achieving Collective Success (00:18:12)  Recognizing Flaws in the System (00:19:28)  Taking a Step Back to Move Forward (00:20:58)  Accepting Criticism and Turning It into a Positive (00:22:05)   
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com
       
      Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching addresses the negative impact of pride in the auto repair industry. He offers strategies for shop owners to overcome pride, such as staying open to learning, seeking feedback, and embracing change. Cotton stresses the importance of building a strong team, networking, and setting realistic goals. He advocates for a balance between pride in one's work and humility, underlining its significance for business success, personal well-being, and family relationships. Shop Marketing Pros is also featured, promoting their marketing solutions for auto repair businesses.
      The Introduction (00:00:00) Introduction to the podcast episode and a brief overview of what to expect. The Impact of Pride on Auto Repair Business (00:01:43) Discussion on the detrimental effects of pride on business decisions in the auto repair industry. Manifestations of Pride in Business (00:02:53) Eight ways pride can manifest and cause problems in auto repair business, including resisting change, ignoring feedback, and refusing help. Strategies to Overcome Pride (00:09:51) Strategies to keep pride in check, such as staying open to learning, seeking feedback, and hiring a coach or consultant. Conclusion and Sponsor Acknowledgment (00:13:19) Closing remarks, encouragement for growth, and acknowledgment of the sponsor, Shop Marketing Pros.  
      Connect with Chris:
       
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae
       
      #autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio


  • Similar Tagged Content

  • Our Sponsors



×
×
  • Create New...