Quantcast

R134a prices doubled?!?!

Last year I got a 30lb tank of R134a for $69 at Advance. NOW it's $149! I found $138 at Autozone. Cheapest is Sam's club for $120 but gotta pay sales tax...

What gives? I wasn't in the business when R12 got phased out. Same thing happening to r134a?

• Like 1

For me, refrigerant is a high profit margin item. Most cars don't hold that much of it, and I sell it by the ounce. I can't remember the last time someone complained about the price of refrigerant because in the overall scheme of things, it's an insignificant part of their A/C repair bill. We track how much refrigerant comes out of the car, and how much goes back in, and charge the customer for the difference at $1.96 an ounce. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, carolinahigear said:

I bought 6 jugs today at $99 each from AutoZone. We charge $19.95 per pound. If the car holds 1.7 pounds we charge for 1.7 no matter how much came out. We love A/C work!!

did you have to buy 6 in order to get that price?

Always curious how others do things. Do most of you have a set price or menu price for a "standard" evac and recharge for a car that comes in and the system is just not cooling sufficiently but the compressor is on? This has always been my starting point as it allows me to confirm the proper amount of freon is installed, fans working, condenser's clean, etc. I also add dye at this point, especially if it was low, giving me the ability to locate leak if necessary at a later date. I can then assess pressures and advise of condition overall and if additional service or repairs are needed.  I charge $139.95 for this service (up to 2 lbs. - extra for high capacity front and rear systems). Wondering how some of you approach it.

Oh, I know NAPA has 30lb's on sale for $99.99 but I just purchased 3 tanks from a local independent wholesaler at last years price of $79.00 but was told that prices are going up when they get their next order. Glad I saw this post as I wasn't aware that 134 price was on a significant rise. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Freon is starting to go up and will continue to go up so get it now if you can from your supplier.  30lb is going anywhere from $132-$159 and forecast to go over $200. There will be limited supplies which will drive the costs up. Biden's EPA rule limiting production will drive the prices up.

• 4 weeks later...