Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Jay Huh

Do you guys think about the future of automotive business?

Saw a Tesla the other day at the mall with it completely stripped down.

Has tires with tie rods connected to the steering column and a self contained motor at the rear.

No oil, no spark plugs, no moving components.... everything electronic.... NOTHING to replace but tires and possibly brakes every 100,000 miles.

Is this the future? How long, in 20 years? 15 years? I'm 30 and I think I will be good by the time I retire but a completely different story for the next generation. Gotta think too, as we start transitioning over, there will be less and less work for the numerous number of automotive shops out there. Just in my shopping center alone, there are 5 major shops and 1 more across the street. In our 5 mile radius, there has got to be more than 20

• Like 1

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By autoguy
      I was browsing Amazon looking for something had no idea that they have privately branded motor oil now. What caught my eye was the 5W-30 full synthetic dexos 5 quart jug at $17 for high mileage cars. Thought it was interesting. Wonder who makes it for them.

So I did a little research online and found this youtube review

Here's another:

• By insomniac
      Iv noticed over the years there are times when business/car count drops off by a huge amount all at once. Last year it was brutal in January and got worse in February. It got busier the 2nd week of March and was pretty steady the rest of the year with my best month ever in November then even topped that in December. But this year its back to the same. January came leads completely dropped out, February came and it got worse, just like last year. Now I know its just a waiting game and business will pick back up. Its not just me every shop in the area is completely empty. --- What triggers these pattern down turns? Has anyone ever figured that out? Thought?
    • By Denise Thiel
      Hi,

I am a small auto shop owner;  I am trying to see if we are competitive or low in our prices for mounting, balancing etc.

Mounting 9.99
      Balancing 9.99
      Disposal 2.00
      Vlave stems 2.99
      tire rotation 10.00

We are in central New Jersey
      Thanks 
      Denise
    • By 5 Star Auto Spa
      Interested to see what brands of conventional / semi synthetic / full synthetic oil shops are selling to customers?  Do you think the average customer cares or has a preference for brand?  Do you think as long as it meets the vehicle specifications the customer doesn't really care what brand of motor oil is being put in their vehicle?  We are currently using Mobil products and they are so much more expensive than other products such as Cam 2.  Thoughts?
    • By skm
      I had a customer come in this week wanting the snow tires "HE" put on in November taken off. Not a bad Idea since we have had no snow this winter. When I saw his car I started to laugh, he had studded snow tire on his older buick. Take a look at the picture and you will see why I laughed. Not where the snow tires are !

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors