Quantcast

I don't know about your state but here in Rhode Island we are struggling for Auto Techs. Every dealer is looking for qualified techs. This makes it even more difficult for smaller shops like mine to find qualified people. It seems that every applicant I get is either in between binges or a felon.

I am not at the level yet to offer medical, dental or 401k. I am willing to offer top dollar to the right person.

Does anyone have a classified ad they use that works well or some input to help me find a good tech?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• GM Dealer Parts Warranty??? What Would You Do???

Is there a way to get GM to pay labor warranty? I have a customer's 2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0L Automatic. Oil pan threads were stripped and we got a new oil pan from local Chevrolet dealer (very pricey) and labor intensive. When I got the oil pan new in the box, it had metal shavings from the casting marks to which we cleaned out and it was fine. We installed the oil pan and after putting some mileage on it, we noticed oil on the ground. After lifting it up we discovered that the oil pan has factory casting marks and oil was literally seeping through the bottom of the pan through the casting mark. The tech is not happy, I am not happy and I'm about to call the customer to tell them the news so they won't be happy paying for more rental car time. I called the parts department from the dealer that I purchased from and told them what happened and they can exchange the pan but they don't pay labor. Very frustrating cause of the labor involved and the customer who had a rental car for about a week now and already turned it in today thinking she was getting her car? Is there a way to get labor reimbursement? I already tried the GM 800 number and filed a complaint and they said it would be about 2 business days or whatever before I get a call back from a rep. Does anybody know how to find a local GM rep to come see their crappy product? Joseph

By [email protected], in Automotive Products & Services

• 0 replies
    • Recording requirements & special fees in your state. A little survey

I'm just about to settle on a software package to run my shop. I've found looking at a number of them that there are a few that don't seem to tick the basic boxes in information gathering that we as registered repair shops are required by law to do. I'm wondering if this is a New York specific issue or if this issue happens everywhere. Would you guys comment on your state requirements.  I'd like to pass some more information to the software company I'm working with in hopes that they motivate to make some improvements to satisfy these requirements. Example, in NYS we are required to capture a signature or document approval with the customer complaint to begin work on the vehicle before we touch it. We must record mileage when the vehicle enters the shop and when it is finished. We must state the warranty for each item and the terms and time limit for any guarantee on repair work. We have to collect a non taxable $2.50 waste tire management fee for every new tire sold. We have a state safety and emissions inspection that is varies in fee and is non taxable.

By Junior, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 0 replies
    • Where to find mid-level techs?

I'm trying to hire, and literally cannot find anybody. Ideally I'm looking for a full time parts hanger. Somebody that has little or no diag experience or isn't comfortable with electrical work, but can do the basics on their own. Where do I even try to look?  I've tried CL and Facebook to no avail. I've called both of the local community colleges with automotive programs, and it's just crickets. I don't even want to pay them flat rate, I'll more than happily pay them hourly.    And PLEASE, for the love of god, I don't want to hear the lecture on 'you need to hire nothing but master techs'. That doesn't help me, nor fix my current problems. I know what I need. I just need help trying to figure out how to find it. Nobody becomes a mastertech without doing basics first anyways.

By OTPAuto, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 7 replies
    • Explode Profits In A Difficult Time...

Discover The Top 3 Sales Techniques To EXPLODE Profits In Your Auto Repair Shop. CLICK TO REGISTER NOW  

By Ron Ipach, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
    • Hi Y'all...from the Volunteer State!

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.  I am Natalie Spears from Savannah, Tennessee.  My husband, Tommy, and I have a goal to open an auto body shop in the future.  We are spending a lot of time researching EVERYTHING before we take that leap.  I hope to gain a lot of additional knowledge on the business end of things by joining a few forums and getting involved.  Currently, he is working out of our home garage which is not optimal, but is certainly better than nothing.  Like many of you, he was taking things apart and putting them back together before age 10.  He is unbelievably talented and has amazing skills with anything mechanical in nature.  I, on the other hand, will handle the business end of the company.  My background and current profession is bookkeeping so we hope this combination will lead to a successful business partnership.  I look forward to learning great things on here!

By Natalie Spears, in New Member's Area

• 7 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors