Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.

We all know that Cardone has issues with regard to part quality. And I made it known how I felt about the issue. But, it would not be fair if I didn’t recognize the efforts Cardone is taking to correct their problems and regain the confidence of the shop owners.

This past week, I met with a rep from Cardone, along with two other reps from Advance/CARQUEST. The meeting was to address the quality issues I had with Cardone steering pumps, gears and steering racks. The Cardone rep was very informative and updated us on efforts they are implementing to improve their products.

I appreciate Cardone and Advance/CAREQUEST coming together to discussing this important issue. One of the key take-aways was that I really felt that they were genuine and interested in improving relations with independent shop owners.

My hope is that Cardone builds products that are up to the standards and quality aftermarket shops are looking for. But, as I stated, it was encougraing news, and I appreciate Advance/CARQUEST for setting up this meeting and to Cardone to spend time to address these issues.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Technicians have been working very hard during tough times the past few months.  And I am not just referring to maintaining production levels. The emotional strain is also a factor. They have been true heroes and have not let up with their commitment to their jobs, the companies they work for and the people they help each day.
      We need to recognize what they do and say thank you to our techs and let them know how much we appreciate what they do each and every day. 

• By Joe Marconi
      As a result of COVID-19, most business realize the need to enhance their crisis planning. For example, I have  always set aside funds to offset any downturn, but my worst-case scenario fund accounted for a 25% decline in business. That was not enough.  In addition, securing a line of credit, to only be used in a economic crisis is another way to shore up a business financially.
      What changes have you made that will prepare your business for the next crisis?

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      Complimentary Webinar - Handling Staffing and Unemployment Issues During COVID-19

Guidance from Top Employment Experts 
      We know how difficult it has been for shop owners to navigate through the employment issues that have come with COVID-19, so we decided that we needed to help. Elite has arranged for SESCO Management Consultants, the top experts in HR and Employment Law when it comes to auto repair shops, to hold a special session to help shop owners through the greatest COVID-19 employment challenges. 

In light of what the industry is going through, we've arranged for this session to be held free of charge.  

Join us next Tuesday (4/7) at 10:00 Pacific Time, and learn: 
      How to ensure you're complying with the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (Paid Family Leave). 
        Everything you need to know about employer and employee coverage 
        The most important considerations when it comes to leave use and pay requirements 
        How to sort through staffing, unemployment and other operational issues 
        The answers to any questions you may have Seating is limited, so Click Here to reserve your spot today.

Wishing you the best,

Your Friends at Elite
    • By hello5555
      I currently employ a mechanic and friend who has been with me for about 20 years. He was formerly a transmission rebuilder, but we have switched to mostly reman units and have no need for a rebuilder. His pay has remained the same despite his value declining. I am currently paying him roughly $100,000 a year. The problem i'm having is that his skill set is not near that pay level anymore. He does light diagnostic and basic managerial work, but I am not confident enough for him to run the shop for more than an hour. With the current state of the industry our numbers have gone down a bit over the last two years. While still being profitable, I can't help but think about the extra income that would be available by terminating this employee, I just dont know how to do it. Any advice on how to do this? I like him as a person and have known him a very long time, but I feel his is paid about twice as much as he is worth. Any help wouldbe greatly appreciated.
    • By Joe Marconi
      With Mother Google literally tied to our hands, through our cell phones; are part margins becoming more difficult to achieve?  Traditionally, shops use a 50% part margin, which they deserve.  But, we live in a world today where part prices are so transparent that maybe we need to rethink this.
      Consider this: What  if we concede on prices?  Hold to a suggested list…BUT…raise our labor rate to offset the loss in overall profit. In other words, keep your parts prices at a margin the consumer will not question,  but raise your labor to make up the part profit? 
      This is being discussed around the country and there are shops that have implemented this strategy.  We can’t give up our overall gross profit, so is this a viable option?
      Your thoughts?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      Source: Advance Auto Parts Strategy of FREE undermines auto repair shops
    • By Joe Marconi
      I got a call the other day from a shop owner who happens to own a repair shop in the town I live in. He told me that a new Advance Auto Parts store has opened up down the road and they want him to buy from them. I asked him how he felt about buying from Advance Auto Parts. He told me that he really has an issue due to all the signage in front of the store: Free Wiper Blade installation, Free Battery Testing, Free Battery Installation, Free Alternator Testing and Free Starter Testing. There’s even a sign that says, Loaner Tool Sets Available!

I don’t know how you feel, but as a shop owner I cannot align myself with a company that devalues the work we do. It’s hard enough to generate a profit these days, but to compete with the same business that wants me to buy from them? That’s insane.

Advance Auto Parts claims that they target the DIY, not my customers. But the truth is, everyone sees and hears their advertising. So my customers here the “Free message” over and over. And, let’s not kid ourselves: If Advance Auto Parts can convert a few motorist to try to do auto repairs themselves; that would be just fine for Advance Auto Parts. All at the expense of the auto repair shops.

The bottom line here is truly the Bottom Line. Advance Auto Parts has to answer to Wall Street and its investors. I have to answer to one person…myself. And I will not compromise my beliefs for anyone or any company.

So Advance Auto Parts and Tech Net, say goodbye to someone that has been a life-long friend.

• By Joe Marconi
      Pep Boys has been struggling the past few years and it looks like they may be bought out. How this will play out is unclear. Here's a thought; would Advance Auto or NAPA be interested in Pep Boys? Is more consolidation coming? And is this good for the independents?

Here's an article in the Wall Street Journal about the potential sale of Pep Boys:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pep-boys-approached-by-potential-buyers-1432077302

• By Joe Marconi
      So, what's worse than AutoZone and Advance doing free check engine light scans? You know the answer, installing the part that was sold by these part stores without performing your own diagnostic tests first.

I was at an affair the other day sitting at a table with a few people I did not know. And then the question I never want to answer comes up, "So Joe, what do you do for a living?"

This person told me a 15 minute story about going to AutoZone to have a check engine light scanned, then buying an O2 sensor, bringing it to the repair shop that was recommended by the AutoZone, only to have the check engine light come on the next day. I am sitting at the table attempting to eat a really bad steak, and now I have to save the world.

The more I tried to explain the more distant this guy became. So, I gave up and suggested he go back to the shop and pay to have the problem tested and diagnosed. His eyes lit up, "Pay for something they do FREE at AutoZone?"

We are evolving into an industry where standards are being re written. And, it's not good. This guy went to AutoZone because of all the ads he hears on the Radio, and also speaking to a few of his coworkers at the office.

Is it me or is there a real problem brewing here? Bigger than we have imagined before?

• By Joe Marconi
      My wife was having lunch at her job the other day and a conversation started regarding a check engine light. One of the ladies at the lunch table had a check engine light on and was fearful of the cost before bringing it to a repair shop. Another lady responded by saying, “Take it to either Advance or AutoZone, across from the Putnam Plaza on route 6, they’re right next to each other and they will diagnose your car for free.”

My wife cringed when she heard this but did not say a word. We all know how some people think that pulling codes is an analysis, and how tough it is to charge what we need for Diag time. This perception about Advanced and AutoZone does not help.

I am going to make it a point ASAP to meet with Advance, since they will be the primary part supplier in my area, and have a discussion on this topic. Some may call me naive, but I have to try.

Pulling a code and making a judgment without performing tests is like a druggist at Rite Aid coming around the service counter, taking someone’s blood pressure and then selling them pills based on the readings. To me I see no difference.

You?

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50