• Announcements

• AutoShopOwner

Advertising & Promoting Your Company On AutoShopOwner - Information   02/25/2017

This message is only shown to FREE members and goes away after subscribing to a paid membership. If you are joining AutoShopOwner to promote your business, service, or product to this community of auto shop owners, please subscribe to a Sponsor Member Annual Package before doing so. With the correct membership, you will have the ability to post about your company in your posts and forum signature.

You can upgrade your existing membership here.

All marketing attempts to this community without proper membership level and/or approval by staff, will be considered spam, result in topic/post removal, and a warning, which can lead up to the banning of your membership, company and/or product on all pages of AutoShopOwner.

Thank you for your support.

Pep Boys has been struggling the past few years and it looks like they may be bought out. How this will play out is unclear. Here's a thought; would Advance Auto or NAPA be interested in Pep Boys? Is more consolidation coming? And is this good for the independents?

Here's an article in the Wall Street Journal about the potential sale of Pep Boys:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pep-boys-approached-by-potential-buyers-1432077302

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Joe Marconi

Source: Advance Auto Parts Strategy of FREE undermines auto repair shops
    • By Joe Marconi
      I got a call the other day from a shop owner who happens to own a repair shop in the town I live in. He told me that a new Advance Auto Parts store has opened up down the road and they want him to buy from them. I asked him how he felt about buying from Advance Auto Parts. He told me that he really has an issue due to all the signage in front of the store: Free Wiper Blade installation, Free Battery Testing, Free Battery Installation, Free Alternator Testing and Free Starter Testing. There’s even a sign that says, Loaner Tool Sets Available!

I don’t know how you feel, but as a shop owner I cannot align myself with a company that devalues the work we do. It’s hard enough to generate a profit these days, but to compete with the same business that wants me to buy from them? That’s insane.

Advance Auto Parts claims that they target the DIY, not my customers. But the truth is, everyone sees and hears their advertising. So my customers here the “Free message” over and over. And, let’s not kid ourselves: If Advance Auto Parts can convert a few motorist to try to do auto repairs themselves; that would be just fine for Advance Auto Parts. All at the expense of the auto repair shops.

The bottom line here is truly the Bottom Line. Advance Auto Parts has to answer to Wall Street and its investors. I have to answer to one person…myself. And I will not compromise my beliefs for anyone or any company.

So Advance Auto Parts and Tech Net, say goodbye to someone that has been a life-long friend.

• By Joe Marconi
      It's no secret that Home Depot changed the Hardware Store business. Are we seeing the same thing occur with the auto parts industry? Will Wall Street dictate the future of the parts business? Main Street, not Wall Street once dominated our business landscape.

Part stores were part of the community. Did they cater to the DIY? Of course they did. But the DIYer was someone who could actually work on his car, not the weekend warrior who has no business sticking his head under the hood. And why does he attempt to stick his head under the hood? Because companies like Advance and Auto Zone tells them they belong there. Don't know how to install your alternator, no problem, click on this video and we will show you Mr. DIY.

There is no stopping big business and what mass consolidation will do to our industry. But, guys like me don't have to like it. The truth is Home Depot may have shifted their industry, but it also made a select group of business owners only stronger. The same may happen in the parts business.

Big Parts Guys, if you truly want OUR business, you need to stop catering to the DIY market and insulting us by telling us the DIYer is not our customer. The motoring public hears your commercials, they see you ads, they get your discount flyers in the mail. So, stop the insults. I would have more respect if you just come clean.

My guess, nothing will happen. The big guys won't change when money gets in the way. When home town and Wall Street collide, Wall Street usually wins. Usually, but not always.
    • By Joe Marconi
      Openbay has partnered with AutoZone Inc. to enable Boston-area consumers to comparison shop and book automotive repair and maintenance services with a network of local professionals directly from autozone.com.

I don't know how you feel, but is this really where we are headed? An online service, now partnered with a Parts Company, that gives prices over the internet and comparisons to other shops.

Am I stuck in the past, or concerned about our future???

Here's an article on the topic:
      http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/RatchetWrench/June-2015/Openbay-Partners-with-AutoZone/
    • By Joe Marconi
      We all know that Cardone has issues with regard to part quality. And I made it known how I felt about the issue. But, it would not be fair if I didn’t recognize the efforts Cardone is taking to correct their problems and regain the confidence of the shop owners.

This past week, I met with a rep from Cardone, along with two other reps from Advance/CARQUEST. The meeting was to address the quality issues I had with Cardone steering pumps, gears and steering racks. The Cardone rep was very informative and updated us on efforts they are implementing to improve their products.

I appreciate Cardone and Advance/CAREQUEST coming together to discussing this important issue. One of the key take-aways was that I really felt that they were genuine and interested in improving relations with independent shop owners.

My hope is that Cardone builds products that are up to the standards and quality aftermarket shops are looking for. But, as I stated, it was encougraing news, and I appreciate Advance/CARQUEST for setting up this meeting and to Cardone to spend time to address these issues.