Quantcast

5 Star Auto Spa

Cheap Oil Change Coupons Attracting Wrong Type of Customers?

We advertise in a number of different channels (Valpak, Radio, House Hold Savers Magazine, Internet, etc.) with coupons and specials we are running. For about 1 year we ran $19.99 Oil Change and $24.99 Oil Change Tire Rotation coupons. We saw increased car counts from these coupons but also noticed that we were getting customers that were not interested in hearing about anything wrong with their vehicle or preventative maintenance related. For the most part it seemed as though these types of customers were only interested in getting the "cheap" oil change and getting out as quickly as possible. For the last 2 months we have gotten rid of these types of coupons and added different coupons. We have noticed a drop in car counts related to this course of action. Just wondering how many of you all use these types of coupons and if you have any luck converting these customers?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Creating coupons/ Pictures

What are you guys using to create coupons and deals for your shop ? Is there a software that can be bought to create automotive specific coupons ? Also looking to see how to make professional looking pictures with shop logo and what not on them. Thank you!

By sparkerauto, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 2 replies
    • The $19.95 Oil Change Offer

Yesterday, went for a drive through North Jersey, was very concerned to see that independent shops are putting permanent signs with the $19.95 oil change offers, the $59 A/C recharge, and the $5 dollar flat fix. This reeks of desperation, clearly the industry is coming due for a strong correction. At my shops this month we are starting to see price resistance from the lower income segment, we are having to exert price flexibility for price discovery which we are finding to be 10% to 20% from list pricing. The mid to upper segments are still going strong.

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 95 replies
    • In-House Training is needed too, sometimes more

We know the value of technical and sales training, but what about in-house training.  What I am referring to is review policies and procedures.  By reviewing in house written procedures gets everyone on the same page, improves production and also improves quality in the repair process. A simple process such as everyone following the same procedure for a cooling system problem will add to the overall shop's production and in the long run procedure a better quality job.     

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 0 replies
    • Radio Advertising

Recently moved to a new town, about 30,000 here and with the surounding towns about 100,000 folks. There are many radio stations I can listen to but have narrowed in on a conservitive one that is all talk radio. Many local businesses advertise in 30 second spots. I have had the pleasure of meeting some of these business owners and letthem know I heard their spot. I then ask how the radio is doing for their business? Everyone said they are or have seen a tremoundous increase in business and for the cost they are paying per month is a no brainer. The one fellow gets other local business owners that use his auto repair shop to to give in their own words how they have been treated and what a great service this shop provides to the community. The battery shop i was in yesterday said his business has increased 40% in the past 2 years after using the radio station. Are any of you advertising this way?

By weighit, in General Automotive Discussion

• 3 replies
    • Cell phone and internet distractions

How do shops handle the use of cellular phones by their technicians during work hours?

By cmautocare, in General Automotive Discussion

• 13 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors