• Announcements

• AutoShopOwner

Advertising & Promoting Your Company On AutoShopOwner - Information   02/25/2017

This message is only shown to FREE members and goes away after subscribing to a paid membership. If you are joining AutoShopOwner to promote your business, service, or product to this community of auto shop owners, please subscribe to a Sponsor Member Annual Package before doing so. With the correct membership, you will have the ability to post about your company in your posts and forum signature.

You can upgrade your existing membership here.

All marketing attempts to this community without proper membership level and/or approval by staff, will be considered spam, result in topic/post removal, and a warning, which can lead up to the banning of your membership, company and/or product on all pages of AutoShopOwner.

Thank you for your support.
Joe Marconi

IMPORTANT! It's November: Time to get your Auto Repair Shop Ready for 2018

Each year at this time I advise shop owners to set aside time to look back at the current year and start planning for the year ahead.  The more due diligence you perform, the more successful you will be.  Below is a short list of things you need to do.  Remember, the time you spend now, will pay off next year.

1. Review all your numbers, year to date - Did you hit your goals? 
  2. Arrange a meeting with your accountant and review your projected sales and determine any tax implications
  3. Speak to your accountant about investing in any end-of-year equipment purchases or any other large purchases in order to save on taxes. Please do not listen to your tool truck guy or equipment reps. Sometimes having cash reserve is much more important that reducing taxes
  4. Have a meeting with your key employees; determine what you will need in the coming year and begin to create a budget
  5. Set your new goals for 2018 and beyond, both personal and business
  6. Create a Wish List, those things your would like to accomplish, both in business and personal - This will help keep you focused 
  7. Consider needed future training for all employees
  8. Review all insurances: Life insurance, liability, etc.
  9. Perform a facility inspection: Identify any needed work, upgrades, OSHA concerns, etc
  10. Create an emergency crisis plan in case something happens to you or a key employee; and make sure your loved ones and family have a copy of the plan 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Joe Marconi
      The day to day operations of running a business can take its toll on anyone.  To be a business owner means to address problem after problem and finding the right solutions. Sometimes the decisions we make will be the right ones, sometimes not.  If we are not careful, this emotional roller coaster we call being in business, can make us focus too much on the negative, and not the positive things that happen in our lives.
      With nearly 4 decades as a business owner, I can say with certainty that one of the basic building blocks of being successful in business is having the right team of people around you and getting yourself in the right frame of mind. 
      You need to find and hire great people. But once you have them, you need to do all you can to take care of them, train them and make them successful in order for you to be successful. Is it easy? No. But it is essential.
      Most important; you need to treat each day as if it were a gift from the heavens and base your entire perspective from a position of strength and remaining positive.  I know it’s not easy, but I can tell you, it works.

• By Joe Marconi
      This is not new topic for me, but I need to revisit it again. And I will keep revisiting this topic for the sake of our industry. 
      For independent repair shops to "thrive" today, you must take a proactive approach with regard to business.  If you only want to "survive" you can stop reading now.
      Waiting for the phone to ring, or for cars to breakdown, or for a customer to drive into your shop asking for a repair or service is business suicide. The days of broken cars lining up in front of your bays are over.  Sure, cars still breakdown, but you cannot thrive with a wait-and-see strategy.
      Make sure you perform multipoint inspections on all cars in for any type of service. Yes, any type of service or repair.  Look up vehicle history on all vehicles. Let the customer know of needed services, missed services and services due. And lastly, book the next appointment.   Yes, I know....Joe's been preaching this over and over and it does not work in your shop. Fine, then let me focus on those shops that do book the next appointment.  Because those are the shops that are adopting a proactive approach...and I will see those shops in the future.

• By Joe Marconi
      One thing I often repeat over and over again is this; "Back in the 1980's, there were three things that made repair shops successful; General Motors, Ford and Chrysler."  Those cars broke down a lot, and there was an endless supply of cars that required a lot of profitable work.
      Well, those days are gone.  Cars today are build better, last longer (thankfully), and have ever-increasing service intervals. Consumers are also conditioned to think that their cars don't need maintenance.  It wasn't that long ago when your customers were coming to you 4 to 5 times a year for service. Now, you are lucky to see those customer twice a year for their routine LOF service. 
      The point here?  You must take a proactive approach and promote preventive maintenance.  You must inform your customers of their next service and any other future service recommendation or repair. You must do all you can to get your customer to return to you. Which means providing the absolute best customer service with quality repairs.
      Even the term "repair shop" needs to redefined.
      Be proactive and you'll be successful!

• By Joe Marconi
      As we close the first quarter of 2017, it’s time to review our strategies and goals.  Did we hit the mark? Did we achieve our goals? These are some of the questions we will ask ourselves.  Business planning and looking forward is something that all shop owners must do.  We review data, make projections and set goals.  But, there are times when adjustments must be made to any set of objectives. Why? Life has a way of getting in the way at times.
      In the world of business, there is one thing you can count on: Everything changes over time.  Think of it this way.  You plan a road trip across the country.  You plot out the number of hours per day you will be driving, where you will stop, times for rest and refueling, etc.  On day two, you hit a pothole and damage a tire; putting you behind by half a day. On the third day, unexpected construction forces you to make a detour. This also puts you behind a half a day.  The takeaway: There will always be things in life that will test your resolve and force you to readjust and realign your plans. Business is no different. 
      Create your strategy, create clearly defined written goals. But know that life does get in the way at times. So be prepared to make course corrections on your journey.

• By Joe Marconi
      If there is one thing I have learned in my 36 years in business, it’s that people make the biggest difference in terms of success. No matter what equipment you have, or tools or information system. It’s the quality of your employees that will determine your success.
      Think about this. If you were the coach of a football team and your goal was to win the Super Bowl, what would be your first goal?  To assemble the best players possible, a team of superstar athletes. The fanciest stadium on the planet does not win games. It takes great players and a great coach.  And a great coach understands that he needs to surround himself with superstars.
      Your repair shop is no different. If you want to attain great success, it will be achieved not only by your work, but by the work of others around you.  Your success is truly determined by the having the right people and then by bringing out the best in them.