Quantcast

"I "NEED" air"

We have a beef with the general public and their (lack of) manners and respect. In this case it relates to tire checks. When a customer walks in the door and looks at us and says "I need air", and then walks out to their car. Um, excuse me.... where did manners go??? Do you walk in a restaurant and say "I need food", no, at least not mean it like the way some customers do. I never mind checking and adding air when a customer shows appreciation for my free (law enforced) service. Treat me as you would prefer to be treated, with manners and at least a "thanks". Minor bitching here, but it just erks me, probably asking for the moon. :huh:

• Like 1

We started charging for air a few years ago as TPMS systems became popular. $1 if you do it yourself, $5 if we do it. If they are good customers I often don't charge. It became way to much of a burden to no longer charge a fee. Plus we have to reset the TPMS light in the IP and know which systems need resetting. So far its ok. Especialy when the weather gets cold I could use a kid running around doing this all day, it becomes quite a hinderance but we deal with it.

We are not required to offer air unless you sell gas in NYS.

• Like 1

I think that Southards should follow procedure. Write the customer up. Pull the vehicle in and diagnose why the tire needs air. Air doesn't just disappear. Most likely the tire needs a $25 flat repair.

It is a WIN WIN. If the customer had a nail and you fixed it then you may have just gained a customer.

If the customer just wants a free quick service then you may have just became less attractive to him because there is a check in and out procedure.

• Like 3

Looks like another opportunity to sell, I mean the tires low for a reason right? just putting air in the tire could open you up legal issues, like the tire has a nail or glass in it they leave your shop with it like that and the tire blows out and kills someone, the owner of the car states he was just at your shop and you just filled it with "air" (if he's still alive). If he doesn't want it looked at or fixed send him on his way. Law or no law I'd rather deal with fighting the fine from the state than a blood thirsty ambulance chasing attorney.

Looks like another opportunity to sell, I mean the tires low for a reason right? just putting air in the tire could open you up legal issues, like the tire has a nail or glass in it they leave your shop with it like that and the tire blows out and kills someone, the owner of the car states he was just at your shop and you just filled it with "air" (if he's still alive). If he doesn't want it looked at or fixed send him on his way. Law or no law I'd rather deal with fighting the fine from the state than a blood thirsty ambulance chasing attorney.

That's being a little to paranoid, an attorney would have to prove gross negligence on your part in order to have any type of case. If you aired up a tire, made a recommendation to put the spare on or replace the tire and the customer refused the service you have performed your duty. If you refused to air the tire despite being required to by law to do so you will would easily be held negligent as it fits the legal description perfectly.

As for an opportunity to sell, most of the time the tire is only down a few psi, just enough to set the TPMS light off, usually its because they went to a quick change oil place that never checked/adjusted and rotated the tires, that or its turning to winter and the weather is colder.

Some folks are just testing you - looking for a reaction. Maybe they feel defensive about about needing your help. What does it hurt to say "Yes sir, somebody will take care of that right now"? You might make a friend for life. Kill them with kindness.

• Like 2

I've adopted a new policy because of this post and I want to thank usedtireshop. They pull up "I need air" now I respond no problem we'll get you right in and check your tires. Car goes on the lift. If they are all uniformly down a few psi we top them up, check the condition, take a look in at the brakes and suspension and out it goes. "No charge" and the customer feels like we care, we even got a tip yesterday. If something's wrong its a great opportunity to sell a tire, the car is already on the lift. Filling tires in the parking lot was a loser for us.

• Like 3

We are a small shop just around the corner from a 7-11 (convenience store) that sells gas and used to have a FREE air pump. Now, in the past year they have changed to a $1 charge for air, just pop in a dollar and the compressor runs long enough to top off all your tires. What has happened is that we now see all of the people who are to "thrifty" to spend a buck to top up their tires... Much as you describe they have a "I need air - serve me" attitude without so much as a thank you. I am seriously considering one of those self serve dollar a pop air compressors to put on the outside of the building and then inviting those people to "help them selves - it's right out there for you to use"

I find that people are becoming more and more demanding of service at no charge - like it is our responsibility to take care of their every whim.

Get real people! In the "old days" people had respect and common courteousy for those who would go out of their way to help them out.

I know, it sounds like a minor thing but when it pulls techs off of jobs and delays getting the work done for "paying clients" it really does get under your skin after a while.

Thanks for seeing this...

Curtis

• Like 4

We are a small shop just around the corner from a 7-11 (convenience store) that sells gas and used to have a FREE air pump. Now, in the past year they have changed to a $1 charge for air, just pop in a dollar and the compressor runs long enough to top off all your tires. What has happened is that we now see all of the people who are to "thrifty" to spend a buck to top up their tires... Much as you describe they have a "I need air - serve me" attitude without so much as a thank you. I am seriously considering one of those self serve dollar a pop air compressors to put on the outside of the building and then inviting those people to "help them selves - it's right out there for you to use"

I find that people are becoming more and more demanding of service at no charge - like it is our responsibility to take care of their every whim.

Get real people! In the "old days" people had respect and common courteousy for those who would go out of their way to help them out.

I know, it sounds like a minor thing but when it pulls techs off of jobs and delays getting the work done for "paying clients" it really does get under your skin after a while.

Thanks for seeing this...

Curtis

Myself and my husband love this post!!! Hit's so many points dead on!! Excellent reply!! Thanks, I've really enjoyed all the thoughts and some of the suggestions since starting this. Had no idea it was such a pain in the a$$ to other shops as well.

That's being a little to paranoid, an attorney would have to prove gross negligence on your part in order to have any type of case. If you aired up a tire, made a recommendation to put the spare on or replace the tire and the customer refused the service you have performed your duty. If you refused to air the tire despite being required to by law to do so you will would easily be held negligent as it fits the legal description perfectly.

As for an opportunity to sell, most of the time the tire is only down a few psi, just enough to set the TPMS light off, usually its because they went to a quick change oil place that never checked/adjusted and rotated the tires, that or its turning to winter and the weather is colder.

Yes, maybe just a little paranoid, I see your point not filling the tire on that one too for sure. So it seems your damned if you do and damned if you don't and as things go when your work for yourself and as for the attorney proving negligence seems like anymore you have to prove your innocence and that could cost you 5-10k or more for your own attorney, yes I know i'm being paranoid, lol...

I've adopted a new policy because of this post and I want to thank usedtireshop. They pull up "I need air" now I respond no problem we'll get you right in and check your tires. Car goes on the lift. If they are all uniformly down a few psi we top them up, check the condition, take a look in at the brakes and suspension and out it goes. "No charge" and the customer feels like we care, we even got a tip yesterday. If something's wrong its a great opportunity to sell a tire, the car is already on the lift. Filling tires in the parking lot was a loser for us.

Great job turning what appears at first glance to be a situation where it could seem like

the customer is trying to get over on you. And understanding it as an opportunity to get a new customer.

Adopting this new policy can add thousands to your bottom-line.

Think about it...

They're showing up at the door and you didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars in marketing

to get them there. That person now views your shop as the shop that cares and is trustworthy.

There's a really good chance when they need service or tires, they're going to think of you

because you took care of them.

And... if they're like most people... they're telling other people about how they were treated.

You taking care of them is like throwing a stone in the pond. You just don't know who they

know or how many people they will tell, about their experience with you and your shop.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Darren Mclea shares his passion for tires and offers valuable insights on how tire sales can significantly boost a shop's profitability and customer loyalty. He discusses strategies for shop owners to incorporate tire sales, the support available from tire distributors, and the benefits of creating a one-stop-shop experience for customers. Darren McLea, DMJ Solutions, LLC. [email protected] Show Notes
      The importance of selling tires (00:04:15) Darren emphasizes the significance of selling tires and the impact on customer loyalty and profitability. Selling tires vs. oil changes (00:06:32) Darren compares the profitability of selling tires versus oil changes and highlights the potential for increased profits. Tire distributors and support (00:10:18) Darren discusses the support provided by tire distributors. The inspection process (00:12:29) Importance of including tire inspection in the service process, mindset, and training. Customer's tire shopping experience (00:13:34) Comparison of tire shopping to buying a washing machine, customer's lack of knowledge, and the need for guidance. Understanding customer needs (00:15:49) Customer inquiries about tire warranty, driving style, and price comparison. Customer's perception and experience (00:21:12) The impact of new tires on customer experience and the potential for future sales. Additional services and offerings (00:23:41) Opportunities to recommend alignments and road hazard protection along with tire sales. Tire Price and Profitability (00:24:41) Discussion on setting the price of tires and the potential profitability for shop owners. Tire Sales Strategy (00:25:42) Exploration of the number of tires that need to be sold to maintain profitability and minimize road hazard exposure. Tire Sales Goals (00:26:30) Setting targets for tire sales and road hazard coverage for a successful shop. Training and Implementation (00:28:32) The process of implementing tire sales into the business. Service Advisor's Role (00:30:14) The importance of service advisors in understanding and selling tires to grow the business. Getting into the Tire Business (00:31:56) Initial steps and considerations for shop owners interested in entering the tire business. Partnerships and Rebates (00:39:13) Exploring distribution partnerships, rebates, and the potential for profitability in the tire business.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Changing The Industry
      Can You Have Heart In A Business? #podcast #automotivebusiness #carrepair #autorepairbusiness
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, NAPA TRACS, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, and Today's Class Our panel discusses and debunks car maintenance myths from an online article titled "15 Car Maintenance Rip-Offs You Should Avoid." They cover topics such as engine flushes, air filter replacements, fuel additives, tire shine, headlight cleaning kits, extended warranties, coolant flushes, oil additives, oil enhancers, undercoating, custom exhaust systems, dealership oil changes, and professional detailing. Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast Justin Morgan LMV Bavarian Technical Support and Trainer, ASE-Wave Technical Ambassador. Justin’s Previous Episode HERE. Bryan Pollock, Willco Auto Care, Sanborn, NY, and Lockport, NY Show Notes
      Engine Flushes (00:04:12) Debunking the necessity of engine flushes for well-maintained vehicles and the importance of following manufacturer's guidelines. Air Filter Replacements (00:09:50) Discussion on the necessity of replacing air filters at every oil change and the impact of environmental factors on air filter maintenance. Air Filter Size and Replacement (00:15:25) Exploring the impact of modern engine technology on air filter size and the need for evidence-based professional inspection for filter replacement. Cabin Air Filters (00:17:01) Discussion on the condition of cabin air filters and the impact of leaves and bugs on air quality. Airflow Issues (00:18:30) Addressing airflow problems caused by neglected cabin air filters and the potential damage to blower motors. Windshield Wiper Fluid (00:20:00) Debunking the effectiveness of costly windshield wiper fluid and discussing the difference in quality and impact on visibility. Octane Boosters and Fuel Additives (00:24:33) Debating the use and effectiveness of octane boosters and fuel system additives in modern vehicles. Tire Shine and Nitrogen Filling (00:29:48) Discussion on the impact of tire shine and the benefits of filling tires with nitrogen. Headlight Cleaning Kits (00:31:13) Debunking the effectiveness of expensive headlight cleaning kits and discussing alternative DIY solutions using household items. Restoring Headlights (00:33:01) Discussion on the process of restoring headlights and the potential cost-prohibitive nature of the restoration. Extended Warranties (00:38:06) Debunking the effectiveness of aftermarket extended warranties, with insights on their limitations and coverage issues. Redundant Coolant Flushes (00:43:15) Discussion on the necessity of coolant flushes, signs of coolant issues, and the importance of proper maintenance. Oil Additives for Engine Safeguard (00:47:44) Contradictory information on oil additives and frequent oil changes, with a focus on the composition of oil and the need for thorough upkeep. Oil Enhancers (00:49:17) Discussion on the use of oil enhancers for cold starts and their conditional application. Undercoating (00:49:41) Debate on the necessity of undercoating for modern vehicles and its effectiveness in preventing rust. Custom Exhaust System (00:54:33) Debunking the performance gains of installing a custom exhaust system on ordinary vehicles. Dealership Oil Changes (00:56:19) Comparison of the cost and quality of oil changes at dealerships versus local mechanics or aftermarket repair facilities. Professional Detailing (00:59:55) Debate on the cost and benefits of professional detailing versus DIY cleaning with quality supplies. Misleading Presentation (01:01:48) Critique of the 15 car maintenance rip-offs presentation, discussing the lack of relevance and stereotypes in the content. The stereotype of being ripped off (01:05:06) Discussion about the stereotype of being ripped off and its impact on the automotive industry. Consulting and expert articles (01:05:59) Debunking consulting and expert articles in the automotive industry and their use of clickbait and buzzwords. Educating clients on vehicle maintenance (01:07:30) Importance of educating clients on vehicle maintenance and the need for evidence-based decision-making. Importance of ADAS calibration (01:12:16) Discussion on the importance of ADAS calibration and its impact on vehicle safety and performance. Potential risks of skipping calibration (01:15:28) Exploring the potential risks and consequences of skipping ADAS calibration in vehicle maintenance. Legal implications of skipping calibration (01:17:32) The legal implications and potential consequences of skipping calibration procedures in the automotive industry. Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X (Twitter): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                                  
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Customer service is the backbone of any successful auto repair shop. Tom Petty discusses the critical role of clear, effective communication with customers. And guess what? It all starts with your internal team and company culture. Tom Petty, Petty Motorworks, Waretown, NJ Show Notes
      Watch Full Video TST Seminars: https://www.tstseminars.org/ NAPA Auto Care Gold status (00:01:24) Tom Petty discusses NAPA AutoCare Gold status and its significance. Technical training and progression (00:03:13) Tom Petty's technical training and progression through the years. Family business and technical training (00:04:22) Tom Petty's decision to start a family business and his involvement in technical training. Engaging technicians and setting shop culture (00:05:44) Discussion on setting the culture for a shop and engaging technicians in training. Apprenticeship and mentoring (00:08:13) Tom Petty's approach to apprenticeship and mentoring young technicians. Automotive vocational education (00:11:10) Discussion on the need for a specialized automotive charter program in vocational education. Challenges in the automotive industry (00:13:03) Challenges faced by young technicians in the automotive industry and the need for development and support. Starting wage and labor margin (00:14:36) Discussion on starting wage for technicians and the importance of labor margin for business sustainability. Post-education career advice (00:15:31) Tom Petty's advice for students coming out of a two-year automotive program regarding starting wage expectations. Structured Raises (00:15:37) Discussion about implementing structured raises for technicians to prevent wage suppression. Setting Technician Wages (00:19:06) Discussion on the importance of setting technician wages based on experience and productivity. Communication and Customer Service (00:23:53) Importance of effective communication, especially through digital inspections, and its impact on customer service. Training Alliance (00:28:00) Formation of an independent training alliance to improve technical training in the local area of New Jersey. Kidney Donation (00:30:44) Tom Petty's kidney donation. Life Post-Surgery (00:33:14) Tom Petty shares his experiences after kidney surgery and discusses the minimal impact on his daily life. Avoiding NSAIDs (00:33:53) The importance of avoiding certain pain medications for kidney health, with a cautionary example. Recovery and Kidney Function (00:34:31) Insights into the recovery period after kidney surgery and the remarkable adaptability of the kidney.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections  
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching addresses the negative impact of phone trees on customer service in auto repair shops. He emphasizes the importance of the human touch and shares his frustration with complex phone systems that deter customers. Chris offers practical advice for revamping phone systems, such as auditing current setups, matching staffing to call volume, and soliciting customer feedback. He advocates for a balance between technology and personal interaction, stressing that each call is an opportunity to showcase excellent service and stand out from competitors. Chris concludes by inviting listeners to contribute to the conversation on maintaining a personal touch in customer service.

The importance of human touch in customer service (00:01:05) Chris discusses the negative impact of phone trees on customer service and the need for a human touch. The drawbacks of using phone trees (00:02:07) Chris explains how phone trees can frustrate customers and lead to missed opportunities. The value of personal interaction in customer service (00:05:21) Chris emphasizes the importance of human connection and empathy in the customer service experience. Balancing automation and human interaction (00:07:31) Chris discusses the need to strike a balance between technology and human interaction in the auto repair business. Practical tips for revamping phone systems (00:09:33) Chris provides practical suggestions for improving phone systems to better serve customers and enhance the overall customer service experience.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook

• Our Sponsors