Quantcast

Joe,

It takes some backbone to handle it the way you did, but I think you handled it the way that was best for you and your shop. I still struggle in that situation, but I've found that by trying to be all things to all people only makes me miserable. If we release these customers into the wild they often come back with a new found respect and appreciation for what we do.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's stupidity most of the time.

This is how customers have been conditioned to think for the last decade or so.

If you take the time to educate your customer about value and the good work you do, and they still don't respect it (they just care about the almighty dollar), then I do believe it's time to fire that customer.

I believe that firing a customer is a tactic that is underused in this industry, and if most of the "problem" customers got fired by a shop or two, it would greatly benefit everyone (especially you and your employee's morale).

I'd be willing to bet it follows the old 20/80 rule: 20% of your customers cause 80% of your problems. The same 20% also most likely cost you money and your valuable time, rather then making you money from your time.

Edited by bstewart