Quantcast

• Joe Marconi changed the title to What Would You Do When A Customer Crosses the Line?

In my 10 years of ownership in my little business, I told a few different people to leave and never return. One guy started crying, begged and pleaded to please not ban him from the shop...I relented and said you give me one ounce of problem and your gone. He returned many times and was a perfect customer, I guess he really needed my services. A couple of guys I didn't chagre them for what I had done, and said your all done here, find another shop to take your money. I worked hard to give everyone the best possible workmanship for what I was charging and didn't I need a jerk to make the job any harder that it was. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have several male customers who have stated openly to my face that they hate women or think they're stupid.  I usually tell them that shouldn't matter, because they aren't going to have to deal with any of my girl stuff anyway.  I have told 2 to get the heck outta our shop, and they did.  One keeps coming back.  So I told him he can keep coming back, but here are the rules...if he is insulting, I add labor because it takes work to put up with him.  (He thinks that's funny).  He kept it up, and I just started calling out numbers.  He asked what that was, and I told him that was the rising stupid tax I was adding to his bill because he is insulting the very person giving him an estimate.  Yes, he escalated it.  Turned into a standoff.  I also added $50 to the estimate.  When he was given the total, he was told that the extra $50 was added because of his abuse.  He laughed and had no problem paying it.  So hey, he thinks it's funny, I have thick enough skin to tolerate him, and I get to buy a new something for myself every time he's in, because he can't resist nasty comments about women.  I won't change him, but I can make it worthwhile!  (And no, $50 is not the going rate to insult me...shop joke now!)

• Like 2