Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Cardone Part Failures: Rack and Pinions

We have seen an unusual high failure rate of steering racks recently; three in the last few months. The rebuilder of the racks is Cardone. Sorry Cardone, you may not like this post or my opinion. But I have had it with doing jobs over again and over and damaging my reputation in the process.

I know these are rebuilt units. I know Cardone has a long history in the industry. I have bought their products for decades; but not anymore. The cost of comeback is too great these days. The loss of revenue is one thing; the loss of a customer's confidence is even greater. And let's not forget the customer's safety.

I was on vacation in Chicago when I got a frantic email from my customer, a women who lost her steering over the Labor Day Holiday. We installed the rack last week and she picked up her car this past Friday.

Again, Cardone, are you listening: "Lost her steering".

There have been other issues with Cardone steering racks in the past. And I don’t think this is an anomaly. Other shops are experiencing the same issues.

We need to have faith in the parts we purchase. The motoring public must have faith in us; if that the trust is broken we all fail.

There’s no other way to put it: Comebacks kill.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Mechanic Faces Manslaughter Charges; failure to perform a proper inspection leads to fatality

Below is a link to a news video. It's about a mechanic that failed to do a proper inspection, and is now faced with manslaughter charges.   Investigators said Jalbert inspected Donald and Elizabeth Ibey's 1992 Chevrolet Corsica in May 2014, but didn’t inspect the car well enough before passing it. Elizabeth, 83, died in a car crash two months later. Her death could have been prevented, investigators said.   http://www.wptz.com/news/dmv-mechanic-charged-with-manslaughter-in-drivers-death/34659076

By Joe Marconi, in Workflow Management

• 9 replies
    • Waiting for Cars to break down leads to repair shop failure

One thing I often repeat over and over again is this; "Back in the 1980's, there were three things that made repair shops successful; General Motors, Ford and Chrysler."  Those cars broke down a lot, and there was an endless supply of cars that required a lot of profitable work. Well, those days are gone.  Cars today are build better, last longer (thankfully), and have ever-increasing service intervals. Consumers are also conditioned to think that their cars don't need maintenance.  It wasn't that long ago when your customers were coming to you 4 to 5 times a year for service. Now, you are lucky to see those customer twice a year for their routine LOF service.  The point here?  You must take a proactive approach and promote preventive maintenance.  You must inform your customers of their next service and any other future service recommendation or repair. You must do all you can to get your customer to return to you. Which means providing the absolute best customer service with quality repairs. Even the term "repair shop" needs to redefined. Be proactive and you'll be successful!  

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 4 replies
    • Guess what I saw in this months Ratchet &Wrench?

"The Net Result" "You have to check your numbers everyday. If you're not... you cannot be profitable." Nice to see a familiar name and shop in this months issue!!  Awesome average RO stat btw. Someone contacted me today actually from R&W for one of the "solutions" articles. 

By Jay Huh, in General Automotive Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Hello just recently joined!

Signed up not too long ago for premium membership. Found out about it from Joe Marconi at the RW conference.   Glad to be here. My shop is in Westmont Illinois...if there is any body close to my location give me a shout out!  

By Trealubit, in New Member's Area

• 7 replies
    • Opinion On Pro-Cut Brake Lathe

I met the Pro Cut Brake Lathe rep at a TECH NET, CARQUEST conference. I know of Pro Cut (on the car brake lathe) and know a lot of new car dealers use the machine. I just don't know how it makes sense these days. We replace more rotors now than any time in history.   Any thoughts on this????????   Is the link to the web site: http://www.procutinternational.com/lathes.aspx

By Joe Marconi, in Technician Corner - Discussions

• 35 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors