Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Cardone Part Failures: Rack and Pinions

We have seen an unusual high failure rate of steering racks recently; three in the last few months. The rebuilder of the racks is Cardone. Sorry Cardone, you may not like this post or my opinion. But I have had it with doing jobs over again and over and damaging my reputation in the process.

I know these are rebuilt units. I know Cardone has a long history in the industry. I have bought their products for decades; but not anymore. The cost of comeback is too great these days. The loss of revenue is one thing; the loss of a customer's confidence is even greater. And let's not forget the customer's safety.

I was on vacation in Chicago when I got a frantic email from my customer, a women who lost her steering over the Labor Day Holiday. We installed the rack last week and she picked up her car this past Friday.

Again, Cardone, are you listening: "Lost her steering".

There have been other issues with Cardone steering racks in the past. And I don’t think this is an anomaly. Other shops are experiencing the same issues.

We need to have faith in the parts we purchase. The motoring public must have faith in us; if that the trust is broken we all fail.

There’s no other way to put it: Comebacks kill.

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Like 1

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

Edited by mmotley

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      Elite's AMI accredited Online High Impact Course, sponsored by Jasper Engines & Transmissions, starts October 16th!
      This industry acclaimed online service advisor training course is delivered by 2019 Ratchet & Wrench All-Star Award winner Jen Monclus, and has been proven to generate both happier customers and higher sales.
      Here are a few of the topics that will be covered:
      - Selling multiple repairs & big ticket items
      - Selling diagnostic testing & maintenance
      - Building powerful relationships in 60 seconds
      - Overcoming the most challenging sales objections
      - Generating more repeat and referral business
      - Presenting service recommendations in a way that makes customers want to buy
      - Note: Course will come with a workbook, homework assignments and testing to ensure accountability and lasting results
      It's only $179 to enroll, and seating is limited, so call 800-204-3548 or visit our Online High Impact page to secure your advisor's spot today!
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      Labor rate from $115 to $150 car count down 1/3 revenue up 6%.

Going on the third month that we raised our rates. Our best customers have stayed, trouble nickle and dime customers seem to have disappeared. ARO from 380 to 628.
    • By Alex
      We now have a nice tool available to all premium and platinum members under the tools menu, where you can view labor rates entered by our members on an easy to use map, similar to our member map. This is designed to give you an idea of where you are vs the market in your area. As you zoom in, the circle averages open up to more specific areas.

If you aren't currently a subscribed premium or platinum member, you can upgrade here.
    • By Alex
      We've created this section here for you to post your shop website. This is a great way to get some feedback and suggestions from your peers.

Please post relevant automotive shop websites only. Any posts including non automotive shop websites will be moderated and removed.

Thank you.

• By Ron Ipach
      CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SUCCESSFUL SHOP OWNERS FACEBOOK GROUP
      [transcription]
      Could Auto Repair Flat Rate Be Dead?
      TECHNICIAN shortage today is real. Last study that I saw said, for every eight shops that’s looking for a technician, there’s only one tech available so I know many of you watching this are experiencing that same thing. And I’ll also say one thing that I found: most technicians, when I mention flat rate, their cheeks kind of pucker up. They hate it. Why? There’s risk. They’ve been burned before. So often in the technicians starved market, what’s a shop owner left to do but put technicians on hourly or even maybe salary? And what that leads to is, really what I’m going to call an “uninspired performance.” Why? They get comfortable, they’re able to pay their bills without exerting a ton of effort.
      So what’s a shop owner to do? The answer I’ve uncovered recently in my shop is to have a Win Number. For every single employee. See one of the truths I discovered in my 30 plus years of being a shop owner is that often we don’t get the most out of our employees because we never really sat down and told them what we expect. I know that’s been one of my mistakes.
      So one of the things that I’ve done recently is I’ve given each employee a weekly Win Number, and that’s why it’s so important. For example, I recently sat down with each of my technicians and shared with them their Win Number. What do I mean by win number? What I expect out of them in parts and labor production for each employee. The numbers are based on my desired technician cost as a percentage of sales. It’s worked so well with my technicians that I now sent it out and established that win number with both my CSR and my service advisor.
      I’ve got to tell you the results have been incredible. Not only are my sales and profits up through the roof lately, it’s led to believe it or not, happier employees. Why? They drive home at the end of the day or at the end of the week knowing that they hit their goals. Knowing that they’ve contributed to a successful week for the shop and that certainly led to a happier shop owner!
      So, let me leave you with a question. Does each and every one of your employees on your team clearly know what you expect of them?
      If your answer is not a resounding YES, it’s time to put a pencil to paper and figure out each team employee or each team members weekly and daily Win.

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors