Quantcast

I am running a tire shop, but we also do some auto repairs. I hope to eventually do a lot of repairs, but right now we're only doing a few here and there.

My question is this- how do I get a scanner for my mechanic without spending thousands and thousands of dollars.

Our last mechanic had a $4000 scanner, and now we had to fire him for stealing money, so I am about to hire a new guy. I'm wondering how I can get this done without spending a ton of money. We are cash flow NEGATIVE right now, so I gotta get it done cheap.

I've seen stuff on the internet for $100, are these any good? What would you recommend?

thanks guys for the advice.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Extracareman
      Hello, 
      We're in the market for a new scanner and figured I'd ask fellow shop owners their ideas and experiences. I did search the board archives and didn't see much within the past year or so. 
      We are a general repair shop servicing most anything, according to customer attitude. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙂
    • By Superman
      I am not an auto shop owner. Originally signed up on here because I was considering starting my own shop. With that being said, should a tech buy his own scantool? We have 3 techs using 1 Verus Edge. Sometimes it can be aggravating having to wait on the verus. I do have a scanner that will read codes and view data but no bidirectional. Can't decide if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of spending $2k on a scantool. Part of me thinks if I'm going to be a serious diagnostician, I should have my own. But then I think a tool that costs that much plus the yearly updates should be a shop tool
    • By Joe Marconi
      Does anyone use a VIN code scanner. And, if so, does it speed up the write up process.

I have Mitchell, and my rep told me it can used with Mitchell.

We do 20-30 cars per day and looking for ways to speed up the write up process.
    • By RWI
      Hi, just found the site and joined. I run a speciality shop repairing primarily limousines. I get lots of late models due to problems caused by the oonversion that I must repair. I have a Ford IDS, and a GM VCI which both work well but I need to find something good for Chrysler and the other odd foreign car that roll into the shop. Sadly Chrysler seems to be out of their mind with the oem tool prices so that's out. Can some one recommend a scanner with good late model coverage and that works on all systems like abs, airbag, etc and has good pids coverage. Thanks for any suggestions!
    • By DUFRESNES
      Well, one more scanner and tool, a DREW J2535 Scanner. This one sounds really good and not to expensive using manufacturers sites. Have any of you used it and how do you like it. It makes all the difference if people that use it, recommend it. Instead of sending the cars back to the dealer, we can reflash and fix. What are you charging for these procedures. Thanks to a great group. Nancy
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors