Quantcast

Ever Had A Customer’s Wheel Fall Off?

We center the wheels and install the nuts by hand and then torque the nuts by hand to oem spec with a torque wrench. We repair many stripped lug studs/nuts that were run up with torque sticks.That creates a different problem in which people can't remove the wheels when they need to for a flat or service. Many european models use lug bolts that screw into threaded holes on the hub's that are expensive to replace when the threaded holes are stripped out. I see that on most tire shops invoices it is noted that the serviced vehicle's wheels be retorqued in 50 miles or no warranty whatsoever.

Happy Daylight Savings time to all- I feel an hour younger. B)

Edited by FROGFINDER

Its not if you have had a tire fall off, its when. I won't say anything other than I have had it happen. Fortunately, no one was hurt and my insurance took care of the repairs. I really think it has to do with how well you take care of the "mistake" All the best processes in the world, can't prevent all accidents. I sent a customer recently to one of the largest tire chains in our area (yes, I didn't have a tire machine so I had no choice). The customer had a tire fall off, causing damage to the car. Fortunately, the customer was turning into a parking spot so it didn't hurt anyone. Even though all the "processes" had been followed it still happened. The manager at this tire store bent over backward and took care of everything. This customer was so impressed, they personally told me so.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had a wheel fall off, but other mistakes occur due to stress, pressure, productivity, and just trying to get things done in general. I think sometimes as owners, managers, mechanics etc... we need to just take a step back, slow down, and recheck our work before it leaves the lot. There is a lot going on in an auto garage, and the pressure from owners, productivity goals, and customers can cause us to over look the most simple things.

The fast paced society we live in today contributes to these errors, we just have to learn how to minimize them while staying productive and safe at the same time.

Joe, I do like your torque method with a coworker in sight. I may consider doing this in my shop when I hire in help.

Edited by Mario

I have never had a wheel fall off, but other mistakes occur due to stress, pressure, productivity, and just trying to get things done in general. I think sometimes as owners, managers, mechanics etc... we need to just take a step back, slow down, and recheck our work before it leaves the lot. There is a lot going on in an auto garage, and the pressure from owners, productivity goals, and customers can cause us to over look the most simple things.

The fast paced society we live in today contributes to these errors, we just have to learn how to minimize them while staying productive and safe at the same time.

Joe, I do like your torque method with a coworker in sight. I may consider doing this in my shop when I hire in help.

Asking that wheels be retorqued and then watching it being done helps alot. B)

We use torque sticks then- hand torque .

We have a stamp that informs the client to come back in 200 miles for retorque and have them intial about 90 % come back.

We still have clients complain to tight when they try to remove the tires , but with the o/e equipped or handiman tools it is hard on some.

hope this helps

I have only had one wheel fall off. It was this year on a Volvo XC70. Brilliant me, I was doing brake work and putting her summer tires/rims on. Well one front lug bolt was missing so I decided to be nice and replace it, no charge. So I ordered up another. The bolt had been missing so long the threads were badly rusted and wouldn't take the bolt with out force so I "dressed all the threads in that hub with a rethreading tap, not a thread cutting tap. I ALWAYS install the wheel nuts/bolts with a torque stick and then hand torque them to the manufacturer's recommendation in AllData. She talked to me about a week later. She had driven it about 50 miles before the tire came off. Luckily she was still on a slow back country road. She said her neighbor who was kind of a car guy snagged a lug bolt from each of the other wheels and put the tire back on and TIGHTENED, she emphasized very tight, the wheel bolts. She drove back home and the next day started back to town, a total of about 4 miles and the wheel came loose again. So she stopped, tightened the bolts herself and drove back home to get her truck. So I towed the Volvo in, replaced the wheel bearing/hub assembly, replaced all the missing wheel bolts and the ones that looked damaged and she's been driving it for four months now with no issues. Just another reason I hate eurotrash. I don't really blame the car, but the problem was on a euro car after all.

I review all of my work orders with my customers before I have them sign and I put a disclaimer on all work orders where the tires were off,

"Improper, uneven or excessive wheel nut (or lug nut) torque can contribute to brake rotor distortion and eventually brake pulsation. Care must always be taken to properly and evenly tighten wheel nuts when rotating tires or when a tire is removed for any reason.

Wheel nut torque MUST be rechecked after approximately 50 miles."

I know 50 miles is really soon, but when the average customer comes back, when the remember it, which is typically 100-200 miles later I don't see a problem.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

We implemented a system where EVERY wheel is hand torqued, we modified our repair orders to show a line item at the bottom to show wheel torque and

the tech writes down the value he torqued the wheel to. At the end of the day I scan each and every repair order so I have a copy of this information. Comes

in handy sometimes. I had an old guy last month tell me he was doing his own brake job at home and couldn't get the wheels off. He accused us of

tightening his wheels too tight when we installed tires on his car the previous month. I pulled up the scan that showed what the tech torqued them to.

Come to find out he was using a tiny 1/2 ratchet.

In my 45 years of dealing with Gomer And Goober or the very best mechanics that I knew NEVER leave loose lug nuts. Then the phone call and the unexplained wheel fastener failure. I have seem more failures with the Euro cars, customer universal mount wheels, and vehicles parked outside in apartments or townhomes. Thus far no injuries or major property damage thank God.

A wheel fall off...since I've been in business...ah, no...BUT back when I was young and dumb (got thru the young part) I was changing the wheels on a Triumph for a used car lot I was working for and had to take it down to get it aligned next. I left the lot turned onto a busy street and in the middle of the intersection the right front took off down the street leaving me blocking traffic. I managed to get it to the corner and called the boss. He was more concerned about the car, me...I was scared shtttless. LOL

These days, it's torque sticks and a torque wrench. Safe instead of sorry...besides, getting stuck in an interescetion isn't high on my list of things I want to do again.

:)

We hand torque all wheels, generally the cars we service have center caps so that's a good indicator that they still need to be torqued after its off the lift, another problem I have seen is people torquing them while the car only is park which allows movement that can create an under torque condition, I instruct all techs to leave the lift slightly raised so that there is no movement of the car.

I like the chalk idea, I may try that. I do not under the torque stick usage if your hand torquing, We run them up lightly, then hand torque.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”