Quantcast

sparkerauto

Anyone have a repair plate ?

I’m just curious what people are paying for insurance to cover the repair plate ? I’m in ma. And my insurance company is charging me 5k for the year to have insurance on the plate. My regular shop coverage doesn’t cover it. 

not sure what other states call them or even have them. But in mass we have repair plates (license plates) we can attach to cars that are not registered and drive that vehicle legally. 

I have maybe two cars in my shop a year without license plates on them - meaning 99% of my in-shop vehicles are registered to the owners. I couldn't justify $5k on that little prospect of business. Do you take in that many unregistered vehicles? 

To my knowledge Indiana doesn't have anything like that. You can get a temporary delivery permit that is good for 96 hours and of course dealers can get dealer tags. 

I'm also here in Michigan and my Insurance Company really balked at my shop having two "In-Transit Repair Plates" a few years ago (wanted over $1000.00 to cover the second one) so I just have one now.  It is more or less included in my Shop Liability / Garage-keepers Coverage.  Every now and then (5 or 6 times a year) someone will tow in a car that hasn't run in a year or two for us to revive.  This plate allows me to legally Road Test that vehicle before the customer renews the plates...  My guess would be that since I see some of my peers driving around with one of these plates on their daily driver (not really LEGAL!) some Insurance companies have figured it out.

Ya in MA they are not covered under our garage keepers insurance it’s almost like having car insurance on the plate. But we can attach it to whatever vehicle we want even personal to drive around. 

In NY the dmv rejected my request for a transport plate. I had to get dealer plates. Worked out good because I'm a dealer now and that generates more income than the plate costs. A lot more.