Quantcast

How do you handle tech's with side jobs ? He's my best tech, but he think's he run's the show. I want to allow as much freedom as possible but it's getting out of control. I don't want to be brutal with him but am not going to tolerate this kind of aboardance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• DREW TECH RAP

How many of you flash computers?  We do and it has been a headache sometimes.  There is a new program, or at least I just heard of it, Drew Technologies RAP.  It is a kit that you pay a monthly fee.  It has everything you need, including the battery tender.  Then you pay $125.00 per flash.  If there is a problem, they take care of it.  My question is, If you have this equipment, how do you like it. and what do you charge the customer.  Of course, it will now be in house.  We have always charged like a fee for the flash and a hour of labor.  Thank you for your information.

By DUFRESNES, in Automotive Shop Tools & Equipment

• 11 replies
    • Video Chat | Voice Control

Hey guys,  We're always looking for ways to improve the flow of information between the repair shop and parts counter. PartsTech just announced a technology we've built and plan to launch later this year involving voice control and video chat in the parts ordering process (here's a link to the blog). Could you envision using this type of technology in your shop? - Erik    

By PartsTech, in Management Software, Web Sites & Internet

• 2 replies
    • Scanner shop tool or tech tool

I am not an auto shop owner. Originally signed up on here because I was considering starting my own shop. With that being said, should a tech buy his own scantool? We have 3 techs using 1 Verus Edge. Sometimes it can be aggravating having to wait on the verus. I do have a scanner that will read codes and view data but no bidirectional. Can't decide if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of spending $2k on a scantool. Part of me thinks if I'm going to be a serious diagnostician, I should have my own. But then I think a tool that costs that much plus the yearly updates should be a shop tool

By Superman, in Automotive Shop Tools & Equipment

• 5 replies
    • FINALLY: learned first hand- the right tech makes ALL the difference

I started out cheap, I price things cheap, and I used cheap labor.... until now. Hired an ASE master tech whom I thought was out of my ability to pay. Last week was his first week and he knocked out 63.5 hours of work!!!!!!! Previous record to that was like 43 hours? Had the highest grossing week in 2 years of business. I didn't give him 63 hours of work.. HE FOUND IT. My car count wasn't different, still the same customers, just a different attitude. He brought his prodigy so I took 2 of my old guys to my new shop and hired these 2. We open at 8:30 am and expect techs to get there around 8:20, they show up at the shop at 6:45 am.... I had to give them a key lol Haven't been excited about my business in a while. I pay him flat rate- he was making $28 before but I got him at $25 and promised him $28 in 2 months. I think a big factor was me being able to hire his friend as well. So far so good. Looking back, cheap labor ended up costing me more money with comebacks and inexperience.

By Jay Huh, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
    • How Do You Handle Down Time w/ Your Technicians?

So we are a shop that pays our technicians hourly. We have an incentive built into the pay that rewards technicians a percentage based on performing detailed vehicle inspections that are sold but the bulk of the pay comes from a straight hourly wage. Because we pay our technicians hourly, the expectations we have of our technicians are different then say a dealership or independent repair shop that pays flat rate. When there are no vehicles to service, because our technicians are paid hourly, we expect them to stay busy. We have an extensive To Do List that we have our technicians perform during down time which consists of cleaning and maintenance tasks around the shop. The technicians are expected to come into the front office area and sign off of the To Do List as they complete each task. This helps the CSA know what the technicians are doing at what time. We have noticed that most of our new technicians that end up leaving seem to have great difficulty or dislike to adhere to this policy. I almost think they feel as though they are being micro-managed and they should be able to self direct themselves. The problem with not having a specific set of tasks for a technician during down time is that beyond just sweeping and moping, nothing of significance gets accomplished during the down time.   Are there any other shops that pay hourly/salary and if so, how do you deal with down time? I'm not sure if we just have to change our pay to flat rate with a guaranteed minimum base.......

By 5 Star Auto Spa, in General Automotive Discussion

• 12 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Stevens Automotive Service
      How many of you have a four bay shop ?
      If you do how many techs do you have ?
      What is your average sales weekly , monthly ?
      What do you spend in advertising ?
      What was your sales in 2017 ?
      I am using this shop as a guide for those who would like to follow and see real time progress.
      For those interested just answer the questions so you and I can see what your strong points and if and where you may have areas for improvement.   
    • By tasr
      How do you hire techs? Regular Employees (W2) or Contractors (1099)?