Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

What’s your Repair Shop's “Slow Day” process?

A common discussion this time of the year is how business slows down in the mid-winter months. Not that you can always predict it. I have experienced some winters that were banner sales months. But in general, business does slow down for a number of reasons, especially in the colder climates: Credit Card bills from holiday spending, home heating bills, tax season, lost days due to storms and more.

So, the question is, how does a shop prepare?

Here's a few things that I do. Perhaps you add your owner strategies, which would benefit all ASO members:

* Prepare in advance and flood your customer base with service reminders, winter promotions and other recommended services during the slower months. Try to increase traffic to your shop during the months that are typically slower

* Review the history on all vehicles the day before the appointment. Look for previous notes and recommended service and repairs. Be prepared to discuss at write-up.

* Make sure all cars get a multi-point inspection - identify needed service and repairs

* Review the service history for all vehicles. Check for services due, services due soon and services never done. Again, this can be done prior to the appointment date and discussed at the write-up

* At write-up, don't forget to ask, Is there anything else we can do for you today? Wipers? Tire Rotation? An oil change?

* If you use email promotions, create email blasts around winter events, for example:

"Its Valentines Day! Show your car some love!" Include a few winter tips and links back to your website and to book appointments

OR...

"Winter Driving Advisory: Is your car prepared for the upcoming storm?"

Include a few tips; wipers, tires, washer fluid top off, heater working right, antifreeze, battery. And of course, links back to your website and appointments.

* Check your CRM for customers that did not show up for their recommended service or repair. CALL THESE CUSTOMERS. Here's a tip; start calling your best customers, those are the ones most likely to come in.

* Go back and review all invoices for the past 4 weeks. Look over the work orders and check service history too. You will find work that was missed, not sold and services that are due. Call these customers too.

As you can see, a proactive approach is better than hoping people will come in.

What strategies to you have?

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      We, automotive shop owners of America,  must take the opportunity of a lifetime and turn it into a bunch of success stories. What opportunity?  Look around you. The world is in turmoil. COVID-19, social unrest, uncertainty about the presidential election, the economy, how are we going to get out kids back to school, on and on and on.
      While the world is spiraling out of control, we have the power to make big changes to our auto repair shops.  And it can all be positive! 
      The Opportunity...
      First, the average age of a car in the U.S. is about 12 years old, attaining well over 200k on the clock. 
      Second, Uber, taxis and limo companies are suffering.  Guess why?  
      Third, the motoring public in the foreseeable future will be traveling by car, taking road trips like they have never did before.
      Fourth, the roads are packed with motor vehicles, as more and more people prefer their own car as their primary means of transportation. 
      Fifth, as the cars get older and older, more of them will be out of factory warranty.
      Sixth, independent auto repair shops have a vast amount of training, resources and replacement parts.
      Seventh,  the overwhelming majority of cars being build and sold today are still internal combustion engine powered cars. If you factor in the expected average age of car these days, we can safely bet that those gas engine cars being sold today will still be on the road in 2033 and beyond! 
      Eight, You need more?  That's not enough! 
      Get your plan in place.  Get your prices in line with making a profit. Don't give anything away anymore (I am mostly referring to checking, testing, diags of any sort!) Offer world class customer service. Be a leader of your employees.  Show the world what you are made of! 
    • By DiscoDave
      I am helping a growing business to be more efficient.  As part of this, I am looking at a service to maintain our general hardware and supplies.  The shop needs a manager as the owner is too involved with the shop - and rightly so as he is highly respected in his arena.  That's another discussion.
      As he moved into a larger facility and hired more people. I'm working on efficiencies.  The current goal is to have common hardware an supplies on hand, always.  I am looking for a service to handle this.  I have spoken with Rogo, Fastenal and Kimball Midwest.   Any other suggestions?  Runs to the hardware store are costly...
      TIA,
      Dave
    • By Joe Marconi
      I can't speak about all businesses in my area, but the repair shops are doing ok. In fact, most had a normal or near normal summer.  A few weeks back we had a major storm that knocked out power for nearly the week. That killed the week. But aside from that, we had a very good June, July and August.   With a miserable March and April, this was a great morale lift and financial boost.
      The only  down side is the affect COVID is having on other businesses, like restaurants, deli's, sport businesses and other businesses. Will this have a trickle down effect on our industry.  No one can tell for sure.
      I will be shoring up my finances and preparing for the unknown. 

• By JimO
      I do not want to divide our group by introducing a social/political topic but the recent situation that occurred during a Goodyear training session is interesting. I assume most of you are aware but for those that are not this is the condensed version: During an employee training session a Goodyear employee utilized a slide presentation indicating that BLM and LGBT shirts/pins/hats are acceptable while at work but All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, MAGA and other politically affiliated slogans or materials are unacceptable while at work. Another employee took a picture of this training slide, released it to the press and ultimately President Trump retaliated with this Tweet - 
      Don’t buy GOODYEAR TIRES - They announced a BAN ON MAGA HATS. Get better tires for far less! (This is what the Radical Left Democrats do. Two can play the same game, and we have to start playing it now!)
      Again I do not want to divide us but I am wondering if any of you have been faced with a customer who declined a Goodyear tire purchase because of the above information. In my shop this past Friday a husband and wife came in requesting four new tires with “Anything but Goodyear” as their only requirement. I asked if this restriction was based on a past poor experience with Goodyear tires and they quickly referred to the training slide incident outlined above as being the reason. What have you experienced in your shops?
      NOTE - The the husband and wife mentioned above did purchase four Cooper tires from me on Friday for those that are curious.
    • By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      We're excited to announce the arrival of Sales Master University, Elite's online service advisor training service that delivers higher sales and happier customers to your shop!  
      What is it? 
      Every month your service advisors will have access to the industry's top sales training delivered by Ratchet & Wrench All-Star Award Winner, Jen Monclus. Plus they'll learn from superstar shop owners and service advisors to help them with real world application, and will benefit from assignments, testing, resources and more.   Your advisors can start learning the moment you enroll them, and can complete each lesson at the pace they choose from the place they choose for only $49 per advisor per month!   Enroll your advisors in SalesMasterUniversity.com today and get ready for amazing results. 
      BONUS: Enroll before July 31st and become a Charter Member and receive Mastering Sales Objections and Phone Procedures for the Automotive Professional, FOR FREE! 
      Visit SalesMasterUniversity.com to get your advisors on the path to higher sales and happier customers today!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      Most of you probably already know what I am about to say:  The Service Advisor position is the most crucial position in the shop.  I know, I know, what about the mechanical work done by the techs?  Well, that's important too, of course. 
      For the most part, customers spend their hard-earned money and most of time don't really know or see what was done to their car.  Let's face it, the customer can't see the water pump or T-belt. And most of the time, the customer does not feel any difference with the car as they drive out of your parking lot. 
      What the customer does see (or experience) is how she was treated.  And that makes all the difference in the world.
      Plus, great service advisors also motivate the technicians, because great advisors are also great leaders of people. 
      Think about this...Six months from now, your customer will not remember the fuel injection relay or the mass air sensor that was replaced....but she WILL remember how she was treated. 
      And trust me, that OE-quality fuel injection relay install by a certified A-level Master tech using Snap On tools and a Launch Scanner IS NOT the reason WHY your customers return to you....She returns because of the level of service your provide.

• By Joe Marconi
      I know it's not going to be Back to School as usual this year, but there will be increased traffic on the road as more people perform school-related errands.  It's your obligation to your customers and the community to make sure the roads are safe.
      Many people have neglected their cars the past few months, making a lot of opportunity for your shop.  
      Get your Fall/Back to School marketing plan in place today!
      Want to share ideas?  Even Better! 

• By Joe Marconi
      As part of our debt reduction, I revamped all of our usual marketing and advertising and put those dollars into customer service and social media. For example, we ramped up our shuttle pickup and delivery service, extended our hours of service, made sure we spend a lot of time with each customer and made sure we called as many customers as possible.  We also stepped up our meet and greet process and made sure will followed up with customer after the repair. Lastly, we increased our social media posts and increases ads and boosting. This has made a huge impact on our customer and already starting to pay dividends.
      What changes have you made to your marketing strategy since the Virus Crisis hit?
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors