Quantcast

impatient customers with selective hearing - vent

I need to vent, lately we've had a rash of selective hearing cases. The latest one is this guy comes in about 4:30 and needs his rotted brake lines replaced real quick. I explained that its not a real quick job and we don't have time this week, but we could do it next week. Well he needs his car now and its not driveable, and it's a quick job so what can I do. I offered that he can leave it with me and I'll try to work on it between appointments if we get some time, but we are very busy and its going to take a few hours at best. Maybe we can get to it, most likely it will be next week. OK so he leaves it, sure enough he calls 8am the next morning. Done yet? This repeats every couple hours until his representative (step dad or uncle or someone) shows up wanting to see the manager. He doesn't like my manager's facts so he asks who I am, maybe he's going to call my boss and get me fired. I told him I'm the owner. He then bashed us for not fixing it as fast as promised. Really?

Just as soon as he leaves another kid comes in at 4:45 - i need a valve stem real quick. Keep in mind its 1/2 hour before closing on friday and i have 2 waiters in the office already getting tires and about 8 people to bill out. I'm Sorry sir I can't do it today, can you leave it and run the spare for now? Maybe try the place down the street. Nope, he needs it now! So while I'm billing a lady out he barges in the shop, demands my tech air up his spare, badmouths me, then uses my jack and swaps his spare in the lot. WTF? I can't take it. It's like going out to eat, not wanting to wait for a table, and going into their kitchen and making a hamburger. Bizarre.

The worst part is I feel bad about it. I would like to help the kid, but there's only so much work a person can do. I'm sure even if I had 10 guys working somebody would expect me to have 11.

• Like 1

Encountering this crap is part of the job. What helps is your gut feeling. We are getting really busy as of late. Busier than I have ever been. I am getting a lot of customers that need stuff done right now right! Well the fact of the matter is that yes people have choice however if they want to do business with you because you are competent and honest (very rare these days any customer will tell you) they will understand they have to wait. The ones you don't want as customers are the pushy ones that don't understand that you have a shop full of cars and they are not god's gift to your shop. I learn this lesson every day as a shop owner I want to intake as much business as possible. That is my heart talking to me. My brain is telling me RED FLAG DON'T TAKE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE TROUBLE CARS! Usually my heart wins out. Then when things go south I feel even worse.

Welcome to the club!!!

• Like 1

Never let a customer demand when their vehicle gets worked on. Pushy customers just need to be put into there place sometimes. I liked the idea to record. This would shut them up if there ever was a discrepancy in what was / wasn't promised. Sometimes people like that need to be taught how to treat other people. I have no problem in letting them know that.

• Like 1

Talk about vent. I have a problem customer that is a first timer, challenges our integrity at every corner, wants a discount, and demands his car be worked on once he authorizes work however will make us wait 1-3 days before deciding on what he wants to do. Most recently his vehicle was parked right outside of the shop on the street and a boot was placed on it by the city for unpaid parking tickets. COMPLETELY not my problem. Made the customer aware of the issue. He does nothing about it. 3 days later tow trucks comes to take the car. I box the car in with another car and I notify him. He scrambles to pay the tickets. Here is the kicker. He has to come down with a code provided by the city to remove the boot and it is his responsibility to return the boot. I believe it is thursday at this point last week. Of course irresponsible POS person that he is doesn't do anything about after I even called to remind him. Come in this morning, car is GONE. city probably took it for the tickets or the boot. I notify this guy and he replies back via email that the city doesnt have it and the car must be stolen so its my responsibility. LOL I blew on this guy. I told him the car is probably in some city lot, go take care of your tickets, you owe me money i have your parts here bring it back and let me finish the job dont call me until you find your car *CLICK!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am loving? this thread. Keep telling my other half that it's like this everywhere when he starts to complain about customers. He thinks he's going to come up with a magic solution. He usually blames me, claiming I didn't explain the repair/wait clearly to the customer - it always seems to be my fault. Then I love it when he implodes when HE has had a conversation with the customer to the effect of we are busy, call you when you're ready, etc. and they call back end of day or next morning asking if it's done. The Great Communicator is having the same problems that I have with customers?

I think it's a combination of the lost art of communication - listening is key component. No one listens anymore. Also, the reality we live in- one of immediate gratification. No one wants to or thinks they have to wait for anything anymore. I don't have 6 techs and 6 lifts/bays. There are still only 24 hours in a day (we usually work 12-18 of those as it stands). You can only do so much on a daily basis. No one "gets" it. I joke all the time that they think they can drop their motor sway off at 9am and pick up at 5pm, ready to go. Most think that their car is the only one you have to work on.

We schedule by appt only - obviously we have break downs to deal with as well. But we literally pick and choose the customers. I have told people that we can't get them in because they are a known PIA or slow pick up/pay. We have enough good customers that we can do that - a few sneak in here and there - but we red flag them for the future. We already have no personal life and spend more time at the shop then at home, it's getting old and we're tired of the selfishness of people. They need their car because their other car is down and they have practice/work/doctors/interview, yadada. Well guess what? We have those same appointments, errands, etc. that you have and we would like time to do them. We miss parties and funerals and get togethers because we are working on your car.

We have a fenced in facility where we keep gates shut and "fake" lock it. Delivery drivers are aware we are here, etc. But we have had customers open gates and even remove the unlocked lock???? WTF? It's crazy. Who enters a facility where the gate is closed without permission?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad to read some of this. Being a new shop owner and new to the business I have been surprised a few times by people. 99% of my customers are honest and decent folk. But some of them will be dishonest to get out of paying and find a hole in the communication process somewhere to their advantage. EG - "$1400 for four struts and an alignment? You said $400! No way I would have approved this when the car isn't worth that much!" Ironically, we also did a sway bar link for free and some brake clean and adjust while telling them that if you're spending nearly $1500 with us we can take care of these things for you. No memory of that conversation.

Get it all in writing if you can.

Why not make a referral partner relationship with a shop that isn't as busy as yours? You can send the customer down the street and pick up a piece of the bill for doing it. They get a customer, customer gets work done, You're a hero.

In manufacturing, buying someone else's excess capacity is frequently done.

Hotels refer people. Doctors refer people. Why not shops?

But, that isn't to say you can't gain something from the situation.

When its money in your pocket for the referral and somebody else gets the "pleasure", who cares?

The greatest lesson we learned after joining MS was to never be afraid to fire a customer. Go with your gut. It's not worth the extra hassle and stress to deal with unreasonable customers. I'm all for great customer service, including going above and beyond, but you cannot hurt yourself for the extra dollar.

Define the type of community you live in, decide what type of customer your want, and stick to your guns. It makes for greater moral and greater peace.

• Like 1

You cannot be all things to all people. If you try, you will fail. You feel bad because you care, that's a good thing.

The other day a car was towed in late afternoon. The customer pumped diesel into his Prius. We told him that we would not start on the car until the next day.

He called 6:30 the next morning to see if the car was done! I know, I picked up the phone!

When I tried to explain that this not a routine repair, he got angry. In fact he came by around 9:30 and DROVE his car away. Mind you, he did not start the car up at the gas station after realizing he filled it with diesel. We told him that was good, and advised him to NOT drive the car. Well, he did.

I feel bad too, but you know...he is the issue, not me.

All part of a day's work...right?

I would have done the same thing as you did Joe. I have no problem telling somebody that I won't... not "can't"... help them. Either because of their attitude or their flaky story that doesn't add up. Ya can't judge by the cover of course, sometimes the worst heap of junk comes in and the owner wants to spend a fortune on it, but at the same time a MBenz can come in needing a light bulb and the owner goes ballistic over the price of a tail lamp bulb. ... .... go figure.

The greatest lesson we learned after joining MS was to never be afraid to fire a customer. Go with your gut. It's not worth the extra hassle and stress to deal with unreasonable customers. I'm all for great customer service, including going above and beyond, but you cannot hurt yourself for the extra dollar.

Define the type of community you live in, decide what type of customer your want, and stick to your guns. It makes for greater moral and greater peace.

I completely relate to every vent here. My husband needs me to be the front "man" to the customers, especially the selfish, impatient rude ones. We too don't have to many of them, but BOY it doesn't take but one to just impale a good mood for the week (if you let it like my husband does)

Here's my 2 cents..... Something about an impatient customer just brings out the calm evil in me, "well sir, I understand you need everything now, and it's the day before you leave for a trip, and it's a Friday, and you don't have the $$, but (with a prideful smile) we're very busy and I just don't have a man to work on your vehicle for at LEAST a couple days". Now had he not been a DICK about it, I would have (maybe, if even possible) considered how to strategically work him in to the schedule. But that went out the window when his a$$hole attitude walked in the door.

And, don't get me started about the Yelp reviews that somehow leave out THEIR unrealistic demands and out-of-context recollection of the encounter.

Even after 10+ years some customers (the good and the bad) still shock me, but I am sure that will never change.

• Like 1

I need to vent, lately we've had a rash of selective hearing cases. The latest one is this guy comes in about 4:30 and needs his rotted brake lines replaced real quick. I explained that its not a real quick job and we don't have time this week, but we could do it next week. Well he needs his car now and its not driveable, and it's a quick job so what can I do. I offered that he can leave it with me and I'll try to work on it between appointments if we get some time, but we are very busy and its going to take a few hours at best. Maybe we can get to it, most likely it will be next week. OK so he leaves it, sure enough he calls 8am the next morning. Done yet? This repeats every couple hours until his representative (step dad or uncle or someone) shows up wanting to see the manager. He doesn't like my manager's facts so he asks who I am, maybe he's going to call my boss and get me fired. I told him I'm the owner. He then bashed us for not fixing it as fast as promised. Really?

Just as soon as he leaves another kid comes in at 4:45 - i need a valve stem real quick. Keep in mind its 1/2 hour before closing on friday and i have 2 waiters in the office already getting tires and about 8 people to bill out. I'm Sorry sir I can't do it today, can you leave it and run the spare for now? Maybe try the place down the street. Nope, he needs it now! So while I'm billing a lady out he barges in the shop, demands my tech air up his spare, badmouths me, then uses my jack and swaps his spare in the lot. WTF? I can't take it. It's like going out to eat, not wanting to wait for a table, and going into their kitchen and making a hamburger. Bizarre.

The worst part is I feel bad about it. I would like to help the kid, but there's only so much work a person can do. I'm sure even if I had 10 guys working somebody would expect me to have 11.

WOW, I was frustrated at the first part of the story, but the second guy??? OMG me and/or my husband would've gone off. A few things we have always told every tech out in the shop, 1) NEVER let a customer talk down to you, feel free to stick up for themselves or the shop, and 2) NEVER EVER LET A CUSTOMER TOUCH A SINGLE TOOL! Even an air hose, the customer must have permission first.

Both of these situations suck, and they (the customers) make this line of business impossible sometimes. Just a suggestion, be prideful for being busy, because it's great to have that problem.

• Like 1

I love this topic too. Refreshing to know we aren't the only ones who get these type of customers.

My most recent story related to this topic. Had a customer who did have an appointment at 2:00. At 2:20 I get a phone call demanding to talk to the manager. He tells me he had an appointment at 2:00 and it's 2:20 and his vehicle isn't in the shop yet. I explain to him that my alignments are running just a few minutes behind. (Mainly because I had 2 customers come in 10 mins late. One added service beyond what I had scheduled on ect.) But, that's not his problem so I just apologize and assure him I have a Tech coming for his car as we speak. He tells me he is standing by his car and no one is coming out for it. Demands for me to come out to the parking lot. I step out to the lot to appease him. He then continues his rant about us now being 22 mins late and how this is grounds for a lawsuit. Just as he said that my Tech walks out the door toward his car. I called him over and told him to give me the customers keys. I then hand the customer his keys and tell him unfortunately I dont think we will be doing business today. He then pulls out his phone and starts taping me. Going off about how he is now going to sue me for discrimination for not working on his car and how being 20 mins late getting to his car was a breach of contract. Again, I apologize and tell him I'm sorry he had to wait so long and tell him to have a nice day !

Also had two customers who needed " Quick " work done this week. One had a Chevy 4500 that someone had already done the brakes on , they couldn't get it fixed right so they smashed the brake line shut so he could drive it. Brakes are smoking , but all he needs is for us to pull the wheels off and fix what they messed up. It has all new parts. This guy also didnt have much money and wanted to know how much it was going to cost him before even getting it into the shop. He had already called around and no one else could work on it this week and quoted him $1000 - $2000. We told him the same. Cant and wont estimate out in the parking lot

The other had a a 4 Runner and the track bar bracket had rusted and fell off. Tells me it just needs to be welded back on and the job should only take 20 or 30 mins.

I love this topic too. Refreshing to know we aren't the only ones who get these type of customers.

My most recent story related to this topic. Had a customer who did have an appointment at 2:00. At 2:20 I get a phone call demanding to talk to the manager. He tells me he had an appointment at 2:00 and it's 2:20 and his vehicle isn't in the shop yet. I explain to him that my alignments are running just a few minutes behind. (Mainly because I had 2 customers come in 10 mins late. One added service beyond what I had scheduled on ect.) But, that's not his problem so I just apologize and assure him I have a Tech coming for his car as we speak. He tells me he is standing by his car and no one is coming out for it. Demands for me to come out to the parking lot. I step out to the lot to appease him. He then continues his rant about us now being 22 mins late and how this is grounds for a lawsuit. Just as he said that my Tech walks out the door toward his car. I called him over and told him to give me the customers keys. I then hand the customer his keys and tell him unfortunately I dont think we will be doing business today. He then pulls out his phone and starts taping me. Going off about how he is now going to sue me for discrimination for not working on his car and how being 20 mins late getting to his car was a breach of contract. Again, I apologize and tell him I'm sorry he had to wait so long and tell him to have a nice day !

Ya Know...... Some customers are just plain unreasonable & stupid and others are just laughable. This goes for every service oriented industry, my daughter tells us some real doosies in the restaurant business (you think we've got it bad!!!)

Ya Know...... Some customers are just plain unreasonable & stupid and others are just laughable. This goes for every service oriented industry, my daughter tells us some real doosies in the restaurant business (you think we've got it bad!!!)

Also had two customers who needed " Quick " work done this week. One had a Chevy 4500 that someone had already done the brakes on , they couldn't get it fixed right so they smashed the brake line shut so he could drive it. Brakes are smoking , but all he needs is for us to pull the wheels off and fix what they messed up. It has all new parts. This guy also didnt have much money and wanted to know how much it was going to cost him before even getting it into the shop. He had already called around and no one else could work on it this week and quoted him $1000 - $2000. We told him the same. Cant and wont estimate out in the parking lot

The other had a a 4 Runner and the track bar bracket had rusted and fell off. Tells me it just needs to be welded back on and the job should only take 20 or 30 mins.

I just love it when customers determine the time, some even go as far as suggesting a price for our service. I have to hold my tongue and giggling to a minimum.

• Like 1

This thread is refreshing. I know we are not the only ones with unrealistic people walking thru the front door; or in my case the back door.

I had a person walk thru the "DELIVERIES ONLY" door, which is the back door to my office, walk thru the back rooms to the sales floor. The sign on the outside door is very obvious. He interrupted me speaking with another customer and is holding in his hand a side mirror that he said he got at the auto strip lot and he just wanted someone to "just pop this on". I told him all of my guys were working on other vehicles, but I would be happy to make an appointment for later that afternoon. No he needs it done now and someone can "just pop this on". After explaining that my guys were working on vehicles that had appointments and deadlines, they would be available later that afternoon to help him. Nope, he didn't like that answer and turned around and started to walk out thru my office, complaining all the way.

I tried to redirect him to the front door, but he was mumbling to himself. My other customer laughed (a regular customer).

I have just one thing to say to him -- hey dude, don't wear your work shirt some place and be rude and demanding. I now know where to not shop, or (which I will not do) I can go in and be rude to you.

I'm not shocked at all. I've been writing about these type of customers for years. The restaurant biz is even worse as South Side Tire commented about. I'll give you an example. Sometime back my wife and I were at a restaurant when we noticed that a lot of waiters and waitresses were coming over to this couples table, then it was the managers turn at the table. The couple got up and left shortly after that. When our waiter came over I asked what was going on. He said that it was a typical situation. A customer eats the entire meal, orders drinks, etc... then complains the food was terrible and the drinks were watered down. Even though they ate every bit of it and drank all their drinks. The manager wasn't about to give the meal to them free but their policy is to always make the customer happy no matter what. The manager had to abide by the restaurants owners policy.

The waiter went on to tell me that this happens all the time and there isn't much they can do about it. This got me to thinking... "Hey, ain't this the same sh&t customer try to pull at the repair shop?" Yep,..... but I'm the guy who sets the "policy" so ya ain't getting a repair free or think you're going to get me to jump through hoops cause you "think" you as the customer deserve something for nothing. Just sayin' ---- There's jerks everywhere ya go ---

• Like 1