Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.

I am planning a soft opening in mid to late January and have started looking for insurance quotes. I did not realize how difficult this may end up being. I have only spoken with two offices so far. The first could not cover a new venture(without previous experience) and the other wants all the info of all the employees up front before they can quote(we are hiring one mechanic and do not have that info yet). I understand cost will be higher fora new business but am having a hard time budgeting for this expense. I know there are many factors involved but if anyone that has started in the recent path could shed some light on this topic I would appreciate it. I did search here and did not find alot but online i found quite a few quotes for detail shops that seemed very reasonable(under 200/month). In my business plan I budgeted for $900 for Liability and Garage keepers.

any advice is always appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By jfuhrmad
      I sold a set of aftermarket wheels and tires to a customer yesterday.  When I picked the wheels up the warehouse loading dock was packed.  I've never seen it so full in the past 3 years.  There were 3 other customers at the dock waiting to pick up wheels, which I've never seen before.  Usually it's just me, or maybe one guy waiting for me to leave the dock.  All of the sales staff was on the phone at the same time and I had to wait in line which has never happened to me before.  Typically, there are at least 2 guys that I can stroll up to and chat with.  When I walked into the warehouse to pick up my wheels, I talked to the warehouse staff and they said this week it is back to normal.
      Is anyone else seeing an uptick yet?  We should start reporting upticks on this thread so that we can see how it spreads across the nation.  That way we can be prepared to bring staff back asap and get our marketing rolling again.  I know it takes 2 weeks between when I order postcards and they land.
      Let's help each other get ahead of this thing.
    • By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      By Bob Cooper
      We all know that these incredibly challenging times are impacting businesses and people all around the world. To help maximize your shop's sales and profits in the face of these difficulties, here are 3 simple and cost-free tips that you and your service advisors can start implementing today. 
      1. Pick up the phone and call your customers. However, this is not a sales call and shouldn't involve discussion about the customer's vehicle. Rather, this is a chance for you to check in on your customers and their families, let them know you are thinking about them, and offer to help in any way you can. By giving them a call and speaking from your heart, you are showing your customer that you not only care about their well-being, but that your company truly values people over profit. 
      2. Set up call forwarding during your commute to and from work. By having incoming calls forwarded to your cell phone rather than to the shop's voicemail during your drive to and from the shop, you are essentially extending your hours and allowing more customers to reach you if they are in need. There may only be a couple of calls that come in during these times, but it can make a world of difference for those calling customers. 
      3.  Adjust your 2020 sales and car count goals so that they are broken down to daily targets, and track these daily goals in a descending manner. Instead of feeling discouraged if your shop is far from reaching a monthly or weekly goal, having daily sales and car count goals will allow you and your advisors to look at each morning as a brand new opportunity to accomplish the goals for the day. 
      Tracking these daily goals using a descending method helps your team focus on what they still have left to accomplish, and motivates them to reach the targeted numbers. For example, if your daily car count goal is 10 cars, and 7 cars have come in, a descending method of tracking will have your advisors saying, "We only have 3 cars left to meet our goal!" rather than, "We've had 7 cars come in so far." When I first began coaching, my average client saw a 15% increase in sales just by making this simple switch from an ascending to a descending method of tracking goals, so this tip is sure to help! 
      For additional help increasing your shop’s sales, learn more about Elite’s Online Masters Service Advisor Sales Training, or give us a call at 800-204-3548. 

View full article
    • By JustTheBest
      We're in strange times. 
      I've published this video in hopes to help shop owners in these difficult times

Matthew
      "The Car Count Fixer:

• By Dr.Dave
      Help i need shop keepers insurance now. I have no claims in the last 3 year and 1 for $400 5 years ago. We went thru a rough time and paid the premium on the last day of when they sent notce. They won't renew .on going through Keller Stonehenge for pen n national .I have a 2 bay shop for over 10 years what a shock
    • By Mark Johnson
      Have you ever done a Tax Planning exercise? Do you know the difference between Tax Preparation and Tax Planning?
      Tax Preparation is the backward-looking process of using your income to produce a tax return for the IRS. It is done after the fact and its main purpose is compliance.

Tax planning however, is a strategic and proactive look at your business and personal finances in an effort to Legally minimize your tax exposure while ensuring that you are in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).

Not knowing the difference between the two can cost you thousands of dollars in unnecessary over payments, fees, penalties, interest charges or even jail time.

I am a Tax Strategist who helps Auto Shop owners to reduce taxes by as much as 50% and eliminate financial risks.

To learn more please free to reach out.

View full article

• Similar Tagged Content

• By spanner
      Hi all, 
      First time poster and glad to be here.
      I'm a 40 something entrepreneur not currently in the auto repair business but I've been exploring shop ownership for several years.
      Unfortunately, I've come up short using traditional business brokers to find a shop worth purchasing. To date, all that I've looked at have been overpriced and/or have some serious issues.
      As shop owners and managers, do you have any tips for finding a solid, well-run general auto repair shop (EBITDA/SDE of $250k-$2MM) to acquire?
      I would be grateful for any insights.
      Thanks,
      Mike
    • By Dr.Dave
      Help i need shop keepers insurance now. I have no claims in the last 3 year and 1 for $400 5 years ago. We went thru a rough time and paid the premium on the last day of when they sent notce. They won't renew .on going through Keller Stonehenge for pen n national .I have a 2 bay shop for over 10 years what a shock
    • By Biff Tannon
      I am a mobile mechanic currently with safeco, but my local agent quit using them because their prices went up substantially.

• By Ernie
      Hello Would anyone have a suggestion for an insurance company in Indiana for a shop insurance qoute?
    • By bluelimos
      Hello to all members,
      I came across this forum, and I was happy to see a good supporting community here. I am a Mechanical Engineer, own a limousine business for about 10 years with a fleet of 8-10 vehicles here in Edison NJ. I take my vehicles to Newark NJ, to get it fixed at a commercial repair shop that specializes in Lincoln repairs. Our repair bill is about 25-30k per year.

I can almost do most repairs my self, but not having the tools, lift, and the time, I give all my work to this commercial repair shop. I can do brakes, rotors, all to do with radiators, catylic converters, (brake-coolant-Tranny-engine-differential) all liquid flush, belt change, ac repairs, and many more. Just keeping up my 10 cars as 100% perfectly work horse for 10 years, I have learnt a lot and now I am burning too much time and money.

In my area, there is a huge Indian and Chinese community and there are a lot of Indians who own a repair shop but not a single Chinese owned repair shop. I am kind of second generation Indian, and I see all the Indian repair shop brutally ripping off their own country men, senior citizens and lot more. I would even call them terrorist at repair shop, they are that bad.

Since I have my own work to manage, I am kind of leaning to open my own shop, like 2 bay shop. This will save me a lot of time and I will get things done my way, which will also save me more time and money. I talked to a lot of friends and to get numbers, I have a good 250 cars committed to bring me their work, some are retail, some are commercial vehicles. Once I open, I know I can get that number to 600 cars within 3-4 months. I tend to have good friends who have large organizations.

Now getting to reality.... I can design a differential but can't repair it, that's two different things...I don't want to work on cars personally, I am good at presentation, explaining and convincing clients and more as a manager. I will have to hire technicians and labors to get the work done. Besides that I will buy bays, wheel balancing and changing equipment and many other things. I want to try this for 2 years to see how it works out and I have spared 100k to try this. Rent goes around 2500-2800 for 2 bays around my area... So I assume the rent, equipment, insurance and some small things will suck up my spared fund for this project. For the technician, I will have to earn or brake even to another 60 per year...

I am a very honest and reliable business person, I wouldn't cheat just to make profits like many other shops do. I rather have a good relations with my clients that will go for longer term. I see the community here is open to such business that I plan to establish. My limousine business is profitable, but I am getting tired of it as it is a 7 days/14-16 hour work. I would love to have a 8am-7pm 5 days per week for my remaining life

Should I risk this plan, should I go for it or wait....I would love to have your opinion on this...

Thanks for reading this long post, brain storming, and possible help.
      ~Dave.

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors