Quantcast

We Need Your Feedback!

Joe Marconi

On 3/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, Transmission Repair said:

Joe, the font size in my posts isn't working.  I'm 67 and wear glasses.  I prefer a larger font for easier reading.  Is there any way you can make 12-point a default font size? -OR- Make it where if I choose 12-point, it works?

Thanks, J. Larry Bloodworth / [email protected] / (801) 885-2227

Each browser usually has a zoom function.   For Firefox and Chrome browsers, you can hold the CTRL key down and use your middle mouse scroll button to increase and decrease the font size.  If you don't have a wheel, you can find it somewhere under the browser settings.   And you can also buy a 32" monitor.  This has downsides as you must now scroll your neck from side to side and up and down to see the whole screen.  But, your font sizes would be the envy of the neighborhood!   Here's an  affordable one.

Thanks for the invitation to contribute to your new blog proposal. As a retired shop owner - now shop manager for a friend of mine, the challenge I faced in my own biz and also what where I currently am is in time management, scheduling, and relating to the demands of customers. After 28 years of my own biz, and growing up in my Dad's shop in the 60s & 70s, things have greatly changed and for sure, I do not have many answers. I do however appreciate the opportunity to hear from others and possibly we all can learn in the venue you are creating.

• Like 1

Congratulations Joe!
Hate to see you go as a shop owner, But I know you will be able to provide even more great support and knowledge to other shop owners.
I read and share in other shop owners posts as much as my time allows.
I hear so much negativity (from friends and customers, Not here) about technicians and shops ripping people off.
Its reassuring to see so many caring and qualified techs and shop owners who want to do what's right. 

What I would like to see is a place for customers to go where they can be confident they are being heard by those good techs.
Not a place for complaints, second free opinions or advice. But
Maybe a way to help them find the best shop in their area.
Help them find a reliable and fair shop they can trust.
I realize this is out of your realm, but maybe it will spark an idea.

Thank You Joe for all the support you provide us.

• Like 2

Well congratulations on your kind of retirement. Have enjoyed all your input and thoughts over the years I have been here as a reader. I sold my stripping business and "quit" at 53 and got into a RV and full time traveled for 8 years till we bought another home after we sold everything to travel. All my friends and other business owners I worked with said your too young to retire when I let them know I was going to sell everything and travel., I said I never said retire, I QUIT....have a whole different attitude. That quit lasted a total of about 5 months and I started another business while still traveling. So I do understand you selling and "retiring' Kind of.... have a Blast and hope you enjoy the new life being "retired"!!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on retirement from your own business and entering a new chapter of your life that will no doubt have less time commitment and much fewer headaches. Most of us that have been in this business for the long term would probably have a hard time to stop work altogether. I think of myself as an old work horse, my years of experience allows me to  comfortably do my job every day but put me out to pasture with no challenge, no problems to solve and I think I would lack purpose. My father instilled a work ethic that was very strong and has served me well over the years.

As to thoughts of future topics or content - Profitability is required to grow and we are living through changes that affect profitability dramatically. The cost of doing business has increased so much over the years that you could be put in the position of having worked all year but failed to make a profit. No matter where you go prices for goods and services have increased. I know that there are price fixing laws to restrict the discussion of setting prices but if there was a way to legally have discussions or surveys concerning prices it would be beneficial. I am talking about repetitious jobs that some shops post on menu boards like charge a battery, mount a tire, balance a tire, repair a tire, put on a spare tire, cut a drum, cut a rotor, flush a cooling system, etc... We all need to realize the cost of doing business today and what it takes to keep the doors open. Most of us are too busy to notice these changes and that can quickly get you in trouble financially. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.