Quantcast

Just wondering how many of you all sub out jobs vs recommending other shops and if you do sub it out how do you markup the service?

For example, we don't do transmission work at our shop and have a trusted shop that we refer all of the work to.  The only time we sub the work out is for our fleet account and we just do a flat $ markup which is decent in my opinion.  We do send that shop a lot of business but not sure I want the hassle of being the inbetween person and potentionally impacting my shop reputation based on someone else's work (no matter how much I research and trust a shop).  At the same time by not subbing out I feel like I am leaving money on the table.  Currently we refer most transmission, intensive electrical and exhaust work out to local specialty shops.

A shop owner friend of mine on the other hand handles everything car related for his customers.  From windshields to wheel repairs, electrical etc.  His philosophy is he wants to be the only shop his customer needs to know about for anything car related even if he makes no markup (not sure how often that happens) and he is a very successful shop making over $1mil a year.  I get the concept but for me to be involved I want to make some money on it and if its something that requires diagnostic not sure I would want to be the middle man not knowing a price to tell the customer from the get go.  For some of these situations I know he just wings it.  (For example he had a customer with an electrical issue and just told them it would be $800 not knowing what was wrong.  He took it to an electrical shop and the problem was fixed for $200...good profit for him.). He also subs out motor jobs and pays $500 for the install but I know of some instances where he had comebacks and it ended up costing him.  

Curious how you all handle sub work, how you mark it up and if the risk is worth the reward?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Workshop for service writer training?

Anyone know or recommend a company that offers a 3-5 day workshop to train a service writer/manager to learn how to SELL and manage tech workflow? Not looking for a consulting firm wanting thousands of dollars. We have an awesome personable approachable person who was one of our techs and wants to move up front but needs help. Thanks so much for your input

By babyhydro, in Workflow Management

• 14 replies
    • Consider Joining Family Service Day!

At the Ratchet + Wrench Conference last month, I met Charlie Marcotte, owner of Amerian Pride Auto in Virginia and the founder of Family Service Day. After doing a little research, I joined the organization.   Family Service Day originated in 2009 with a Williamsburg, Virginia based company, American Pride Auto. The idea was simple: offer support to single parent families and deployed military by offering the gifts and talents we have been given, the ability to repair vehicles, for free. There are really no limitations — if you have desire to make an impact in your community, Family Service Day is a great way to get involved.   Getting involved in your community is the best way to make your shop stand out as the business that cares about people. Plus, it will get your staff involved which will boost morale. You can reach out to your vendors for help with parts and also get major businesses in your area to help sponsor the event.   Shop owners, I recommend that you find out more about Family Service Day. Below is a link for more information:   http://www.familyserviceday.org/

By Joe Marconi, in Banner Programs & Franchising

• 18 replies
    • Online Service Advisor Sales Training Course Begins April 4th

We wanted to give all shop owners out there a heads up that Elite’s Online High Impact Sales Course begins on April 4th. There are only 100 seats available on a first come, first served basis. Because the course is sponsored by JASPER Engines & Transmissions, JASPER customers receive an exclusive discount! Please find the course details below, and if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact us or give us a call at 800-204-3548. Hope to see you there! Online High Impact Sales Course details: Course web page: http://www.eliteworldwide.com/event/633/online-high-impact-customer-care-sales-course-april.html  Content that will be covered: Selling multiple repairs & big ticket items Selling diagnostic testing & maintenance Building powerful relationships in 60 seconds Overcoming the most challenging sales objections Generating higher sales and happier customers Generating more repeat and referral business Presenting service recommendations in a way that makes customers want to buy Note: Course will come with a workbook, homework assignments and testing to ensure accountability and lasting results Presenters: Jen Monclus and Doris Barnes of Elite
      Price: $179 (JASPER customers receive a $50 discount)
      Course Dates and Times: Session #1 – April 4, 10:00am–10:45am PST Session #2 – April 11, 10:00am–10:45am PST Session #3 – April 18, 10:00am–10:45am PST Session #4 – April 25, 10:00am–11:00am PST (optional AMI testing at end of session)

By Elite Worldwide Inc., in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 1 reply
    • Service Packages. Can they be sold successfully?

We've been in business since 1995, steady growth year over year by doing what we know works. I also am aware it can be a mistake to do the same thing, over and over, just because it works without being open to change. Late last year my son joined the company as General Manager. He graduated from Virginia Military Institute with a degree in economics in 2014 then worked for the Target Corporation to develop his own style of leadership. When he joined American Pride Automotive he immediately looked for ways to implement meaningful change. After reading an article in Ratchet & Wrench he came to me toi discuss selling annual service packages to customers.  Has anyone had any success selling such packages? If so, what is the incentive to the customer? I learned many years ago that two things motivate a sale, price or terms. We don't want to erode our margin but some say this idea has merit, hopefully we can learn a lesson or two from you other shop owners.

By Charlie, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Just Being Nice is not Great Customer Service

I recently made a call to my Internet provider to discuss and issue I was having. After multiple attempts at trying to explain my problem, the customer service rep on the other end of the phone had no clue how to solve my problem.  She was nice, extremely polite, and had the voice of an angel.  She was well-trained, but not in the art of problem solving. Great customer service is not about being nice to people, it’s all about understanding the customer’s needs and coming up with solutions to their problems.  Train your service personnel in the art of proper etiquette, but also in the art of problem solving.  Empower your people to also make decisions.  Set limits, but give them the authority to solve issues without every problem reaching your desk.  

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 1 reply
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors