Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. By always innovating, Dorman has led the way in growing the aftermarket. Here you will see a few examples of a Dorman OE Fix. An OE FIX is a Dorman repair solution you can’t get from the original equipment manufacturer. It means they found a situation where they believe the OEM wasn’t giving repair professionals what they wanted, so we fixed it. Everything Dorman does is centered around providing customer value, both in the quality of products, and the creativity of solutions. Our engineers and designers go out of their way to save repair technicians time and save vehicle owners money. Want to really go under the hood? Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Sue Dickson, Owner of Closs Tire & Auto Inc, Waukegan, IL. Sue is trying to change the face of the industry to empower woman to be a part of the automotive industry. Sue has 37 years of experience in retail automotive market and has partnered with her community to grow her business. She is directly responsible for overall profitability, sales and service for this independent auto repair facility. She continues to work with the Lake County Tech Campus, College of Lake County, to bridge the gap between school based work and hands-on work experience. Sue has written and implemented a Lake County Tech Campus internship which has been in place since 2019 and served over 50 students.  She also has partnered with Lake County Workforce Development to take her internship program to the next level. This relationship has given students the opportunity to gain work base employment and grant opportunities for education at the local community college.
      Key Talking Points
      “Give Me 10” Internship Program- 10 hours broken up 2 hours for 5 days. Job shadowing 2 hours the first day, after that they will be working for the remaining 8 hours. Oil changes, brake work, tires, etc. Insurance is covered by the school because it is work-based learning Break the stereotype that young adults can only be successful if they have a 4-year degree What is the biggest competition with independent repair shops? Dealerships. Local shops started coming together for networking meetings, they also visit each other’s shops to critique Sue volunteers at the local car show and she registers classic cars. They wanted the tech campus to be involved and see the older cars. She went to the independent group and asked to donate a car to the tech campus. Tech 1 kids do steering and suspension. Tech 2 kids rebuild the motor. Collision painted it. Will be showcased at the advisory meeting. The car will travel to locations that have an internship program. Raffle tickets to win the car. Donate money to a non-profit Grant opportunities through the workforce development- over 4 years the networking group has received almost 200K  University of the Aftermarket Leadership 2.0 Class- AAP Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      As a member of the NAPA family, AutoCare Center owners can take advantage of the NAPA National Health Program from the NAPA Insurance Center. This “NAPA only” program gives you and your employees access to national “large group” rates on medical insurance with premiums discounted up to 30 percent. These rates are based on the collective purchasing potential of 22,500 NAPA locations including both NAPA AUTO PARTS stores and NAPA AutoCare Centers. The NAPA Insurance Center can help you with a variety of other insurance benefits too. For more information about The NAPA National Health Benefits program as well as all of the insurance benefits available to your AutoCare Center and your employees, visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.

• By bantar
      Started a new thread based on a comment from:  Are you paying your employees what they deserve?
      Thanks to CTC who warned that we need to be Compliant in our pay plans, I called the Dallas Office of the Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division to check on my compliance.   Very friendly and knowledgeable.  Didn't even ask who I was.  I encourage you to call.  However, what she said was super-complicated if it's the first time that you've heard it.  It still hurt my head on today's call.   The goal of this message is to explain OT calculations and then to explain the flat rate pay as related to OT.   I'm only presenting this to give you background before you call W&H yourself.    I'm not an expert on W&H.
      This focuses on non-salaried employees who are eligible for OT payments.  
      Background:
      In general, OT pay is more complicated if you have variable pay plans (bonuses or extra payments).   Regular hourly folks working OT get 1.5 times their "regular rate" (which is the same as their hourly rate).    If they don't get any extra pay, this is easily computed.  
      When variable pay is involved, we need to know how much the employee is really making this week.   That is, we must calculate their "Regular Rate" because the variable pay (bonuses) increases their normal hourly rate.   When we pay OT, we must pay 1.5 times their "Regular Rate".    This is a protection for the employees to ensure that they are being fairly paid even though their pay rate varies week to week.
      Regular Rate Computation:
      Figure out the employee's total compensation for this week (we are ignoring OT for this calculation).  Divide this by the total hours worked this week. This is their regular rate for THIS week. For example:   Joe makes $10/hr and earned $100 bonus this week while working 50 hours.   His total pay for the week is $10 * 50 hours + $100 bonus = $500 + $100 = $600.   His Regular Rate is $600/50 hours = $12/hr.   When you pay him OT, you will be paying him 10 hours * 12 Regular Rate/hr * 1.5 = $180.   This is added to his base rate of 40 hours * $10/hr, so this week, he makes $400 + 180 = $580 + $100 bonus = $680 total pay.
      There is a shortcut to computing regular rate that I find faster to compute.   Just take the variable pay (bonus) and divide it by the hours worked.   $100 bonus/50 hours = $2/hr   Joe's Regular Rate is $10+$2=$12/hr.   His overtime rate is $12 * 1.5 = $18 (instead of $15). 
      Using ADP (and other payroll systems):
      For employees that are getting OT with variable pay, I create a separate pay line in my payroll.   Line 1 is 40 hours at their normal hourly rate.  Line 2 is OT hours at Regular rate.   The payroll software multiplies the regular rate * 1.5 to calculate their OT pay.
      Regular Pay Line:  40 Hours @ $10/hr OT Pay Line: 10 Hours @ $12/hr Flat Rate:
      Per W&H, Flat Rate still requires OT pay if more than 40 hours are worked.  Therefore, we are required to compute a "Regular Rate" to pay OT.    This means we need time clock records.   W&H suggested a few different ways of computing it for Flat Rate employees (one was a weighted average, but I didn't dig into this).   Also, minimum wage must be adhered to as well.
      I threw a few examples of pay (flag bonuses, incentives, make-up hours, etc) at W&H and in the end, it didn't matter what the mix of payments were.   All payments are combined to compute a Regular Rate.  This can be bonuses for flagged hours or bonuses for sales or it could be 20 hours of flag and 20 hours of guaranteed pay (to equal 40 hours).   What mattered was how many hours did the non-salaried worker work?   What is their regular rate?   Pay OT using the Regular Rate.

• By carmcapriotto
      It all started when Jennifer Filzen decided to become a singer/songwriter and created her first pop music album, Sirena. Her marketing and sales talents afforded her the opportunity to get her music heard around the world, including India, China, Europe, Australia, and the United States.
      Her writing talents launched her into writing SEO content for websites, social media marketing posts, and custom blogs. Today, many auto repair shops around the country choose Rock Star Marketing to put their businesses in the limelight.
      Jennifer Filzen Previous Episodes HERE. Rock Start Marketing Website HERE.
      Link to the new book on Amazon HERE.
      Key Talking Points:
      “The Giveth to Get Principle: How Relationships & Reciprocity Build Raving Fans. 5th book for Jennifer Filzen. See link to book above. Not only attract ideal customers but surprise and delight them so they are excited to see you and want to tell others about your services Give before you think of receiving Jennifer’s passion- she loves making the world a better place by spreading joy, bringing people together, and share ideas, teaching about marketing Helping one person sends a ripple effect that comes back as a wave of abundance Discovering your three most important principles in your life your ‘why’, your superpower, your attitude Finding your superpower- realize you have one, you ARE a big deal Rockstar MarketingFocuses on what makes you unique, who is your target demographic, what is your “why” and what are the cities you want to serve Focus on your strengths, delegate your weaknesses Flexing your confidence muscle Speaker at Vision 2021: Video marketing. What to say, how to edit etc. Loving your customer- verb, the action of caring Resources:
      Thanks to Jennifer Filzen for her contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• By xrac
      I haven’t been around much but I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a better New Years. 

• Our Sponsors