Quantcast

Is a Web page worth the investment?

Quick Answer: They are crucial and well worth it.

Long Answer: Websites are vital in this day and age. However, just having one is not enough. I used to think, "I'm paying $50 / month (I used to have motorev too), for this website. Why would I do that if I can make my own for $150 / year?"

Now, don't get me wrong, if you love SEO, building your own site, keeping up with it weekly, if not daily and have all of that time on you hands then by all means go for it. I don't.

That being said, a website is USELESS if it doesn't do anything for you. You have to treat your website as a marketing piece. You have to know that your website is working for you. My problem with motorev was that I didn't know what it was doing for me. How do you know how many calls your website is bringing in? Out of those calls, how many people came in? What did they bring in terms of revenue?

A website, you have to track just like any other marketing piece. Right now I'm paying about $190 / month for my website. But I have a tracking number on it, I know how many calls I get from it, how many of those come in, and that my INVESTMENT is well worth it, so I have no issues paying that much.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Quick Answer: They are crucial and well worth it.

Long Answer: Websites are vital in this day and age. However, just having one is not enough. I used to think, "I'm paying $50 / month (I used to have motorev too), for this website. Why would I do that if I can make my own for $150 / year?"

Now, don't get me wrong, if you love SEO, building your own site, keeping up with it weekly, if not daily and have all of that time on you hands then by all means go for it. I don't.

That being said, a website is USELESS if it doesn't do anything for you. You have to treat your website as a marketing piece. You have to know that your website is working for you. My problem with motorev was that I didn't know what it was doing for me. How do you know how many calls your website is bringing in? Out of those calls, how many people came in? What did they bring in terms of revenue?

A website, you have to track just like any other marketing piece. Right now I'm paying about $190 / month for my website. But I have a tracking number on it, I know how many calls I get from it, how many of those come in, and that my INVESTMENT is well worth it, so I have no issues paying that much.

CarER

This is a great insight. A website is essentially the new phonebook. Many customers find shops through services like Yelp and Google searches/reviews. So if your site is dialed in to reach your preferred customer it will be well worth the investment.

I would also add that social media can be a benefit as well- although it should be part of a long-term plan because it will take some time to see results. Maintaining a social media presence can contribute to your image as a business and boost your reputation. You can post special offers but otherwise just reposting existing content such as car care tips can educate your customers, add value, and give them the feeling that you care which, in turn, will increase the amount of repeat business and customer referrals.

I use sitebuilder.com, $77 prepaid for one full year. The templates you can use to choose from are sweet and really easy to use. I buy all my domain names from go-daddy. I own almost 40 names that are all forwarded to our site. It's still under development here:

http://www.nealeyauto.com

AJ

Checked out your web page, and it looks good overall but I would consider removing some of the text over your main image on the home page. It is a bit overwhelming and it is also all information that could be on your about page. If you simplify it will resonate more effectively with a customer. You can sum up everything there with your second paragraph...

"We are a purpose driven, professional and full service auto repair facility. We pursue excellence in everything we do. From the moment you make that phone call or arrive at our business all the way through picking up your vehicle and follow up phone calls, you'll know you have made the right choice when it comes to your automotive service needs!"

If you change the first sentence to read "We are a purpose driven, professional and full service auto repair facility located in beautiful Edgewater, MD." You can effectively reduce your text, it will be more visually interesting because the image will not be completely covered and your message is still the same.

Your website is extremely important this day in age. But not only the site, you need to be easily found while searching for service in your area. It is worth it to spend a little extra to have a company that can handle it all effectively for you. We use net driven and have been very happy. Www.autodrx.com

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      In this episode, Hunt sits down with Jay Huh, a down-to-earth auto repair shop owner from North Carolina who's also a skilled public speaker, coach at Shop Fix, and even a pilot. Jay spills the beans on how he landed a speaking gig at the VISION Hi-Tech Training Expo with just a month's notice and why he's all in on making the auto repair industry better for everyone. His real talk and practical advice are not just about fixing cars but fixing the business side of things too.
      Here's a quick rundown of what Jay shares:
      • Passion Over Profit: Jay opens up about his journey from the brink of personal and professional disaster to finding his purpose in the auto repair world. He's all about giving back, stressing that making a profit shouldn't be a taboo topic.
      • Work-Life Balance: He dives into how he restructured his business to not only be more profitable but to also have time for what matters most — family. Jay is proof that you can have your cake and eat it too, running a successful shop without sacrificing every waking moment at work.
      • Financial Savviness: With a straightforward chat about managing finances, from rebate checks to navigating economic uncertainty, Jay offers his two cents on keeping your shop afloat and thriving, no matter what the market throws at you.
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.

Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      This week on Business by the Numbers, I want to talk shop and share insights that hit close to home for every garage owner out there. Today, I’m talking about an often overlooked aspect of your business - the true cost of inaction. Not just the dollars and cents you count every day, but the opportunities you might be missing out on.
      • The Hidden Expenses: The not-so-obvious costs tied to decision-making in your shop. From choosing between internal work vs. retail work to the long-term effects of quick fixes
      • Opportunity Cost Explained: Ever wondered about the cost of sitting on your couch instead of grabbing that $100 helping a buddy out? Opportunity Cost: It's all about what you're missing out on by choosing one option over another.
      • Real-life Examples: From loaner cars to hiring decisions, I aim to illustrate how overlooking opportunity costs can have a tangible impact on your bottom line.
      And hey, if you're hitting up Kansas City for Vision 2024, swing by and say hi. I'll be there, ready to chat and share insights in person. See you out there!
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching discusses the critical role of gross profit per hour as a performance indicator for auto repair shops. He explains how to calculate it and its importance in assessing efficiency, pricing, labor, training needs, and financial health. Chris also highlights its value in staying competitive. The episode includes a nod to the sponsor, Shop Marketing Pros, endorsing their services.
      The importance of gross profit per hour (00:00:05) Chris discusses the significance of gross profit per hour as a key performance indicator for independent auto repair shops. Formula for calculating gross profit per hour (00:01:56) Chris explains the formula for calculating gross profit per hour and its role in pricing strategy and efficiency. Labor utilization and financial health (00:03:00) Chris emphasizes the importance of labor utilization and how gross profit per hour directly affects a shop's financial health. Calculating gross profit per hour (00:05:24) Chris provides examples of calculating gross profit per hour using a spreadsheet and discusses the importance of this metric. Measuring efficiency and pricing strategy (00:11:48) Chris explains how gross profit per hour helps measure efficiency, productivity, and pricing strategy in an auto repair shop. Competitive edge and conclusion (00:14:48) Chris discusses how a healthy gross profit per hour gives a competitive edge and concludes with a message about the podcast sponsor, Shop Marketing Pros.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode of "Business by the Numbers," Hunt takes a look at the current state of government spending, the intricacies of the debt ceiling, and how this affects businesses and taxpayers.
      • Current State of Government Spending and Debt Ceiling: The ongoing negotiations and potential outcomes if a spending deal isn't reached.
      • Impact on Businesses and Taxpayers: Important fiscal policies like the Child Tax Credit, Employee Retention Tax Credit, and R&D Credit, and how they affect U.S. businesses and individual taxpayers.
      • Political Dynamics and Future Projections: Analyzing the political landscape, including key figures and parties, and predictions on the government's fiscal direction.
      • Practical Implications and Advice: Hunt’s insight on navigating the uncertainties in government policies and their impact on financial planning and business strategies
    • By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Similar Tagged Content

• Our Sponsors