Quantcast

Yellow Pages

I agree with xrac. Yes, there's that "iconic" part of Yellow Pages but when you think about it, the PHONE is the remote control to everyone's life. The last time (about a couple of years ago) that I had a client book any YP listings, the push continued to get them listed in their on-line app, etc. Sorry, don't recall all the details - and I can find out if you want - but it was more of a push to sell you everything else. Sorry - that's the truth. 

Hope this helps!

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"
PS: Hey, just opened registration to my new FREE training course - How to Double Your Car Count in 89 Days 

• 2 weeks later...

You have to look at it from the numbers. Yes, it's true the majority of yellow page users are at least 65 if not 70 and up. And it's true that listings are virtually worthless.

BUT, it's really inexpensive to have a large display ad these days, and guess what...the competition is almost zero there because all the shop owners are saying the same thing..."Nobody uses the yellow pages any more." So here's the thing, if it's only people that are say 70+, and you have no competition, then with the right ad, designed for THAT specific demographic, guess who's going to get those car owners looking for service? The way the yellow pages are selling ads now is usually in a bundle with their online programs, which can be very effective at driving traffic to your website. It makes the cost almost nothing to have a good size display ad in the phone book in some of those programs.

One of our oldest clients (25+ yrs) runs a full page ad under Auto Repair, and one under Transmission Repair, in four YP phone books in San Diego. Why would he do that if it didn't work, or give him a positive ROI? I can tell you why...the ads are tracked, and the numbers prove it.

Now this is a guy that has 3 locations, just getting ready to open a 4th. He's one of the most successful shop owners in the country. What does he know about branding and marketing that you don't? If your shop is doing healthy 7 figures than maybe you already have the branding and advertising formula down. If you you're not doing those kinds of numbers, maybe there's some things to learn that can help you get there.

A few of the ads are shown below. Notice the branding consistency, and the focus on the demographic. He gets calls from that older group every month, month in and month out.

So there ya have it. A different perspective. Hope it helps.

Robert Gould

West Auto YP Ad Samples.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Robert! Nice ads... and yes, I can see the consistency (and imaging). Nice work! I know you said they get calls - and I don't doubt it at all - but have you considered using "tracking" numbers?? Not necessarily to understand which one is pulling better - but as a way of recording the calls, tracking SALES (ie Revenue) and even use a "whisper" message so that the person ANSWERING the phone knows that "this call is from your yellow page ad". 

Make sense? Being that it's in print, you don't have to be concerned as much about having all the company NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number) data "match" - but just a good way to actually know what the ROI is. 

Hope this helps!

Matthew
"The Car Count Fixer"
PS: Join me on YouTube and Grow Your Car Count, Income & Profits!

Thanks, Matt. Brian has been been my client for over 25 years. He's opening his 4th location now. He's got one of the most successful shops in the country. And yes, tracking numbers are important. They have them. That's why we know they still work and exactly what demographic they work for. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable.