Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Would you price your services lower than the dealer?

We often take a customer’s car to the dealer when we discover the vehicle is under warranty. We prefer to take it ourselves, because the dealers are like vultures and too often my customers come back with a ton of service work done, much of which we already performed! Plus, it's no secret that the dealer wants my customer.

Yesterday I took a Subaru with a warranty reprogramming recall back to the dealer and as I pulled into the service drive, there was a big sign that stated: We’ve Lowered our prices! Under the headline listed these services:

• Oil change service $19.95
  • Wheel Alignment $59.95
  • Tire rotation $9.95

These prices for my area are cheap. In fact, the average wheel alignment in my area is $89 to $129.

This is more proof that the dealers are trying everything they can to increase business in their service bays. My hope is that they price themselves out of business.

Now, will many shops lower their prices to match the dealer? I hope not. If the dealer wants to position their brand on price, let them. Do not enter in that "race to the bottom."

Remember, think of your best customers. You know, those people that never question price and throw the keys on the counter and say, "Call me when the car is done". These are the customers that you need to base your business on. These are also the customers that rarely question price.

I know that the last few years have been tough on everyone, but we still need to maintain who we are as a brand. Do the things that have made you a success.

And remember, your best customers don't continue to go to for your price. Recognize WHY they are loyal and build your business around that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Hammer
      My shop is in a very rural area in South Carolina.  We are mainly a new tire dealer and we have been here for over 40 years.  We repair and replace everything from hand truck tires all the way up to large radial rear tractor tires.  We do alignments, brakes, front end suspension work, batteries, and oil changes.  We have been successful at what we do, but I see the effects of the internet and additional competition from car dealers, big box, etc. on tires and rims.  
      I took over from my dad about 3 years ago and I added oil changes and focused more on the alignment and front end suspension work, which has been great.  I have a great alignment and suspension guy.  My background is more finance and the business side of things as opposed to the mechanical side of things.
      I would like to get into doing more for our customers.  I want to get some opinions on what types of services we should offer, and how I can find a decent general maintenance tech.  I don't think that we should jump full on into engine and transmission work, but I could see doing things like master cylinders, ac work, fuel filters, general maintenance, etc.   
      I am going to have a pretty steep learning curve on this, so any pointers you guys could provide will be appreciated.

• By [email protected]
      Is there a way to get GM to pay labor warranty? I have a customer's 2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0L Automatic. Oil pan threads were stripped and we got a new oil pan from local Chevrolet dealer (very pricey) and labor intensive. When I got the oil pan new in the box, it had metal shavings from the casting marks to which we cleaned out and it was fine. We installed the oil pan and after putting some mileage on it, we noticed oil on the ground. After lifting it up we discovered that the oil pan has factory casting marks and oil was literally seeping through the bottom of the pan through the casting mark. The tech is not happy, I am not happy and I'm about to call the customer to tell them the news so they won't be happy paying for more rental car time.
      I called the parts department from the dealer that I purchased from and told them what happened and they can exchange the pan but they don't pay labor. Very frustrating cause of the labor involved and the customer who had a rental car for about a week now and already turned it in today thinking she was getting her car? Is there a way to get labor reimbursement? I already tried the GM 800 number and filed a complaint and they said it would be about 2 business days or whatever before I get a call back from a rep. Does anybody know how to find a local GM rep to come see their crappy product?
      Joseph
    • By bantar
      After looking at the ICCU shop in Mumbai India, it made me wonder how the Indians deal with Indian negotiation tactics?  I need a good strategy.  My shop is among a large Indian population and it seems that they all want to negotiate pricing.  So much so that if one doesn't try to negotiate, it throws us off our game!   There are few ways to deal with this:  1) Stand firm, 2) Have a pre-made coupon that we can use to move the price a fixed amount, 3) Negotiate, 4) Prepare for the negotiation with inflated pricing, then negotiate and settle on a job price (that is often more than the non-negotiated price).  
      We do #2 and #4 regularly, with a little #1 and no unprepared negotiations (#3).   When we are negotiating, it's always out on the shop floor so that it can be a private conversation.  They always seem to feel better when they "get a deal"!
      Any better methods or practices?
    • By priyasawant2001
      how to choose your  Car Repair and Services garages ???
    • By BNC173
      I started a business idea & funded everything to get the business going. It has boomed faster then I expected, i still own & run the shop from the outside but I have 2 family members that have grown the shop from the sales & service from the inside & have been paid a weekly check plus sales bonus checks above any local shop. I have the idea that over the long haul I will recoop my investment & time. I have told them the more we grow the more you will earn pretty simple plan. The company continues to grow every month so I'm not worried about location & all the other things that go into what is my business worth. My question is if I would sell to 1 of them how would I figure a fair price. Mind you I personally have yet to gain a profit from the business myself. I draw a small check but it goes toward bills that it took to get the company started that came out of my own pocket. My quick simple thought was Equipment+Inventory+ (Net profitx3)= Selling price to walk away. I would like to know others I feel I should gain on taking the risk & putting my personal family finaces on hold, but also feel I don't want to cause family issues that I was trying to cheat a family member that would say the business would be nothing without them.
      Thanks
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors