Quantcast

TTP

How Do YOU Handle Receipts?

I was wondering what is the best way to organize receipts. By Vendor? By date? By Job?

Which way do you do it and is it working for you?

I want to be able to put my hands on any receipt when called upon. Like if a customer calls about the warranty on a part. I am looking for the simplest

way to accomplish this.

I am currently using Quickbooks and we recently purchased a Neat Desk. Both of which are great, but I gotta figure out the best way to organize this stuff.

PLEASE HELP

I was wondering what is the best way to organize receipts. By Vendor? By date? By Job?

Which way do you do it and is it working for you?

I want to be able to put my hands on any receipt when called upon. Like if a customer calls about the warranty on a part. I am looking for the simplest

way to accomplish this.

I am currently using Quickbooks and we recently purchased a Neat Desk. Both of which are great, but I gotta figure out the best way to organize this stuff.

PLEASE HELP

Every receipt must have a PO number on it. We use the job ticket number created in Mitchell. We have instructed all our vendors to not send a part unless the person calling for the part has a PO. If the part is order electronically, the PO is put on that order.

We use Mitchell, In the part field, we put the vendor name and the part company ticket number. So, if you pull up a customer's invoice from 6 months ago, you know who you bought the pump from and THEIR ticket number. I think you can do this in QB too. Right?

Every receipt must be signed and then marked, "OK to bill". All the receipts are then sent to the office where the office person doubles checks them (checks and balance process) before they are sperated and tracked. All reciepts are then matched against the monthly statement for accuracy.

We do the same with cores and returns. There are mistakes all the time, lost recepits, etc. You need to have a tracking system or you may be losing money.

George, thanks for the reply. I just became a Mitchell user, signed up last week. I like that idea, going to give it a try.

When you say that the office person double checks them before they are separated, How are the "seperated" by vendor, date, customer???

Please elaborate

George, thanks for the reply. I just became a Mitchell user, signed up last week. I like that idea, going to give it a try.

When you say that the office person double checks them before they are separated, How are the "seperated" by vendor, date, customer???

Please elaborate

We do the same as Joe has said above, in the main office the invoices are stored by Vendor, each vendor has a folder and inside that folder the invoices are separated by month, and in sequence by invoice number.

We store all invoices by vendor. Each vendor has a file. As we pay the month invoices we have another drawer that has each vendor and we file the paid invoices in it. We also use Mitchell.

I prefer to keep my system pretty simple. I have a file box with copies of all outgoing invoices organized by date with the parts receipts used for that particular repair stapled to the invoice.

The electronic copies of the invoices are saved in my computer with the name and date as the file name so that they are automatically organized for me by name and then date of repair (example file name would be "Smith, Jerry 2013-07-02").

This system seems to be working very well for me. If I need to look up warranty on a part or pull a customer's previous repair invoice I simply find their name listed on my computer and the repair date linked to that file name tells me exactly what file folder to pull the paper invoice from my file box out of.

I am opening my first shop in a few weeks and have been sifting through the seemingly endless list of management programs. Protractor, rowriter, mitchell, bay master, a few others. Mitchell seems like the most user friendly program. Although I could not get a very good demo of it do to the sales guys lack of knowledge of his own program. The social module of it seems like a great advertisement tool to propel the business. Someone please just tell me which program to pick! LOL.

That is a tough choice. I have Mitchell and been using it for about 10 years. It's a good program, and easy to use. I don't think Mitchell has kept up with the times, sorry to say. There are many things that were promised to us a decade ago, but never really happened. Well, maybe I should not say "promised", it was more like shop owner suggestions to enhance the program.

I am looking at a new product from Advance Auto Parts. Yes, that's right, Advance. It looks like a winner. I will be testing it soon and will give feedback soon.

Also, check out Maxxtraxxs, http://www.scottsystems.com/ and good luck!

I use Mitchell. I am looking forward to adding their "pro pack" which is an additional cost. But with pro pack it appears to give you a much better defined set of reports and a huge follow up program.