Quantcast

New All the help I can get

Dr.Dave

Hey members I,ve been looking at this site/forums for weeks now I,m getting to see alot of info. thanks I,ve been a Dodge /jeep/used car and general repair for over 25 yrs. .I have recently recieved a oppertunity to open my own shop from scratch.I have a busy location traffic wise 35mph next to a large Sheez gas station.I,m a little srared thers so much I don,t know and so much I,ve leared in the last few months.I only have 2 bays that worries me.I,m hoping to offset that by offering wheel straightening which I,ve been doing on the side for my former employer(so far I,m the only one that can do this until I can find the right one to train)And I,m thinking of investing in the latestest and greatest TPMS too and offering resets and ID and diag to local body shops as well as gen public.And I,m looking in to air bag diag seems like another hit or miss area.The real problem I,m having is I wish ther was a instructin manaul on how to start this venture .I,m still not sure on pay roll vacation warranty parts and laborand much more I can,t think of now or don,t know of.Thanks any input would be welcomed

• 1 month later...

Dr. Dave, any updates, thoughts, comments, questions?

Hey I,m not in my building yet but I think its real close.But I am in the equiptment and resource gathering mode.Ive been wondering what shop owners thought of Nitrogen.I just attended a class hosted by Shrader put on by Napa.Very interesting lots of selling points.I can afford 7K for a genarator but maybe a bottle and filling station could be swung? But what is the market like out there is it worth it?

I would not spend that kind of money on nitro machine. I currently use Nitrofill which has a great program and they will supply you with the machine and each fill allows you to sell a roadside assistance package with the service. Check them out at www.nitrofill.com

I decided to give it a try because only the wholesale clubs have it and dealers are starting to offer it. No independents that I know have it. The Nitrofill program seemed like the least expensive and had the other selling points that came along with it. My investment was $500 plus the rental of cylinders. To answer your question there is not a big demand for it here at this point. They say that you must educate customers on its benefits. I also thought it would be good for vehicles with TPMS. I hear that in Florida where the company is from it is big. It is not easy to sell although the program with the Auto Club is a great deal for the consumer. I used it on all my personal vehicles and used the towing service on my wife's vehicle once. You really do not have much to lose if you go with Nitrofill.

Please keep us informed. If this is a lucrative profit center, we all need to take a look at it.

I've been to a class and talked to reps selling equiptment I've read the sales pitch I would buy into it I can see how young mothers and most peaple could see the saftey factor and I can see the TPMS factor.The dealership I work for intruduced it to its costomers unfortunly I was at a diferent location when they did it but all the techs did there cars and they initally sold alot I,m not sure how they marketed it but I was told that the service advisors sold it up front.I was also told they paid for the equipt. fast.But I just asked about it recently and it seemed to be a lost art.And everybody seems to be incorperating a road hazard subscription with the service?Must not be confident it would be a easy sale?aND THE equiptment can be very pricey even it you just use the bottles you must arrange a sevice and need at least 2-3 bottles on hand.But if you guys arn,t doing it and the dealers costomers base is dwindling to to older cars and high dealer pricing than it may be safe to assum the aftermarket is going to have its day too with this?

I wanted to mention you can get more info on the Nitrogen and TPMS at a few of our websites, there is good clarification on all the ideas that are floating around out there. Additionally, I would be happy to help any member of the group with technical questions and training on these items.

We just put on a full day training program at UTI in Orlando, for their trainers, as TPMS is the hottest service coming this year. The biggest problem though is training, do not attempt this service without a serious understanding of the technical side. For example, each sensor can have a different torque rating even on the same vehicle. Likewise, all Schrader valves need to be torqued and putting on seals requires special tools. If you miss on even one of these, the liabilities can be incredible.

Please check these sites...

www.PremierNitrogen.com

www.ateqTPMStool.com

www.universalTPMSsensor.com

In closing I'd like to mention that we would be glad to offer everyone in the ASO group a special discount on any equipment or system. We currently have nitrogen inflators below $1000 and our Road Hazard program is half the price of all the others on the market. GWR wants to support the group members as I ran a shop for years and know what it's like in the real world.

Please call me any time,

Gary

www.GWRauto.com

1(800) 266-4497

I agree, some things take off on their own. It's almost like a fad. It the public starts to think of this a benifit or safety feature, they just might be more inclined to pay for it. I also think that including it with some sort of package makes sense. If a shop can tie it into a maintenance package to get the customer to return to your shop, that would even better.

Ya the more I find out about it its really not just the initial service (that I don.t thinks theres tons of profit ?) but its the costomer will get free nitrogen in that set of tires for the tires life.That means that when they get a nail in it they will come to you first or all there services because we always ck tire inflation and if there low we can nitro them up for free

When I was working for Honda a few years ago, they told us to avoid the Nitrogen fills because some of the poor quality systems were not getting all the moisture out causing the TPMS sensors to rust and ruining the sensors. If you didn't know, TPMS was required by the Feds on every car 08 and newer if I am not mistaken so if you haven't invested in the computer software/hardware to work on these systems, you will have to soon enough. I have started looking myself for the best option for me.

When I was working for Honda a few years ago, they told us to avoid the Nitrogen fills because some of the poor quality systems were not getting all the moisture out causing the TPMS sensors to rust and ruining the sensors. If you didn't know, TPMS was required by the Feds on every car 08 and newer if I am not mistaken so if you haven't invested in the computer software/hardware to work on these systems, you will have to soon enough. I have started looking myself for the best option for me.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it but I can tell you by design air out of your compressor will always have oil and water in it thats why we use seperators that do not take it all out .How many times have you felt water out yor impact gun.If you rent tanks the nitro will be close to pure no moisture 99.9% the genarators are said to be the same .It starts with your air suply and is forced thruogh filters.I don,t see how you could be getting water but if you did couldn,t you add seperators for added protection?

Let me understand this: the shop sells the nitrogen fill for "X" amount and what happens to future refills or pressure adjustsments during a routine LOF service? Is it free from then on? And, what if tire centers give it away? How will that impact smaller shops?

I glad this has not hit my area yet!

From my understanding (I,ll find out the details Mon. and post anything diff.) You pay for the inital service or throw it in to sweeten the deal,or use the road side asstance membership (that costs you about $10 a card) to sweeten or get more money out of a service.Then any air adjustments is no charge for what ever lenght of time you think will work.Now the people will come back to you for services thinking that the Nitro is free if they need it or any flat repairs too .Just another way to get the costomer thinking of you.

So, if new customers come in for nitrogen air becuase they here you have it, they get it free too? I guess is a form of marketing, but I need to think it through a little more.

No I,m not sure who's giving it away? They pay for the sevice first, or its thrown in with a road side assistance package.In order to sell somthing bigger and entice them to keep coming to you .You can limit the free nitro to a set time or that tire or only with a service .You make your own deal

As Joe mentioned, keeping up with technology is vital to our success. Regarding the comments on TPMS and N2, I'd like to emphasize how extremely important understanding the technology really is. In our training classes we always stress the importance of not only know how to do it correctly, but also why a particular process or procedure is necessary. I think we all have little respect for the technician that won't take the time to research and get training for a service, before blasting into it.

Regarding Nitrogen, some of the comments above are correct... N2 has virtually zero moisture and therefore is the perfect companion for TPMS. No matter how many dryers you put after a compressor, within economic reason of what a shop can spend, you will never get close to what Nitrogen can do for you. Additionally, the older generator systems did not create as pure of a gas as they do now. Our newest unit can produce 12 cfm with 99.75% moisture free gas and at a purity of about 99%. You can not afford to buy bottles when this type system is now available. (I.E. The cost per vehicle is only about .50 cents with a new style generator, whereas the cost of bottled N2 can be as high a $4 per vehicle.)

When you discuss why someone would want to sell Nitrogen, think about it as service but more so as a tool to bring the customer back to the shop. What is the number one item that "needs" on going service, although most drivers don't every think about it? The answer is of course tire pressure! So forget the cost of getting into Nitrogen, the customer will come in more often and that gives you the opportunity to sell other services. Additionally, if you don't have Nitrogen available, how will you service vehicles that come in with it? You won't be able to balance, rotate, align, etc and that could put you out of business on some services.

NOTE: "A recent study by the European division of tire maker Bridgestonefound that 93.5 percent of cars in Europe have under-inflated tires, wasting some 2.14 billion gallons of high-priced, polluting fuel every year. Analysts believe that a similar percentage of North Americans are driving around on under-inflated tires as well."

What an opportunity for shops that are on the ball!

GWR has taken the wide approach and has developed simple systems for small shops staring at only about $500, so there is really no boundary to having this service at every shop. We likewise have the most advanced N2 systems on the planet, if your operation wants the fastest and most economical service options.

www.PremierNitrogen.com

Regarding the Road Hazard Protection Programs there were seveal comments, so this may help clarify. Factory direct resale Motor Clubs are greatest value to come along for the shop, since disc brakes. You can use it in a multitude of ways to further enhance the value of your operation and to again, bring the customer back to the shop more often. I constantly try to teach owners they need to use their head and not their hands to make a shop more profitable, Nitrogen and Motor Clubs are some of the newest and easiest ways to do this.

i.e. Some scenarios where our Premier Motor Club "ERA" cards can be used...

1. Mrs. Jones, you have been a loyal customer for 10 years and I want to say thank you again. Additionally I'd like to give you a valuable gift that I believe should be in every drivers wallet or purse, our Premier Motor Club program. I know you drive alone sometimes so I would feel better knowing that you are protected and that you have away to easily get your car towed back to us if any unexpected trouble occurs.

2. Mr. Smith, your brake service today is going to be a little more extensive than we initially discussed, here is what my technicians found after inspection...... I realize this is more than you anticipated so we would like to give you a free gift, to help offset some of the additional costs. Our Premier Motor Club will bring you a full year of protection, just like AAA, but will in addition give you up to $150 worth of tire replacement protection and an additional10 miles of towing. This is our gift to you for your patronage and loyalty over the years.

3. Joe, I understand you are concerned about the repair bill for the new cooling system as it was unexpected. Unfortunately we need to replace the radiator, water pump and hoses to get you back on the road. If we could add in a valuable, unique, vehicle protection program for no additional cost would you be OK with allowing us to do the work today? Our Premier Motor Club offers you services that companies like AAA charge over $100 for, or don't offer at all. Not only does ours have unlimited battery jumps, key lockout service, gas and fluid deliveries, tire repairs and more, it also has additional free towing miles and $150 worth of free tire replacment. And again, we would be included this free of charge with your repair.

4. At the end of the one year term, the customer will get an email letting them know their Premier Motor Club is about to expire and that they should being the vehicle back in for a courtesy inspection and renewal. This gives the shop an additional opportunity to have the car in their shop and to hopefully sell additional service it may need. If nothing is wrong or required at that time, you can simply sell them a new card at what every priced you want to charge.

How can you put a price on this type of marketing support? It would easily be worth ten to twenty times what it costs. Based on the groups participation and support, we would like to offer a special reduced minimum initial order on the activation cards. We normally require a shop be involved with the Nitrogen program or purchase 50 minimum, but for this trial deal we would set up 15 cards at just $8.95 each. This would be a great way to try out the program while investing very little initial money.

www.PremierMotorClub.com

Regarding the TPMS, everyone will be doing this service for years to come, so we all need to understand it. In our classes with have found it imperative to use manuals for the specs on the various sensors, and not to rely on memory. For example, we just concluded a training class arranged for one of the largest UTI center in America, not only for for the students but mainly for the teachers. Most everyone was unfamiliar with the true workings of TPMS and found they really needed this class presented by our certified TPMP teacher from TIA (Tire Industry Association). We extensively use and recommend a particular TIA guide I want all of you to get, before you attempt to dive into this service. Please follow the link and read more about it...

TirePressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Relearn Chart

Everyone must understand that there is a procedure and science to these parts and you can not haphazardly start working on them without training. Of bigger interest is the fact that you will be working on more TPMS than you can imaging in just the next year or less. Why? Take a look at the statistic and you will understand what is just around the corner for shops and service centers. Adding up the installed TPMS systems since the mandate in 2007 to the few miscellaneous models using them before that time and you come up with about ¼ billion sensors. As if that's not staggering enough about ¼ of those will need to be replaced in the next 12 months due to battery failure, they are near or over their 5 year life expectancy. Are you ready? Just using simple math the numbers are $20,000 to $50,000 worth of new sensor business for every shop in America, this year alone.

If you don't have the training and specification sheets, the right learnand reset tools, along with a simple and easily accessible inventory at your finger tips... will you be able to tap into this incredible revenue source? I again like to mention we would be happy to help the members of the group with free training and special prices on all the needed relearn equipment, our new universal TPMS sensors and clone tool, plus our reseal replacement hardware kits.

www.ateqTPMStool.com

I hope this information is useful, please call me if you would like to talk more about any of the above items.

Gary

1(800)266-4497

www.GWRauto.com

[email protected]

P.S. Here are some more of the the technical problems associated withTPMS service.

Since the trend in factory wheels is to eliminate the outer flange for appearance, technicians will have to use tape weights to dynamically balance tire and wheel assemblies. The inside flange hasn't changed (yet) so any computer balancer can easily perform a static balance, but ride disturbances are easier to identify with modern suspensionsystems so the likelihood of comebacks is higher using that approach. As if the slowdown from handling sensors isn't enough, dealerswithout advanced balancing equipment that makes tape weights easier to install will be forced to add a few more minutes to each set offour tires. That's just the start of the equipment list that every dealer will have to follow in order to handle TPMS. For instance, the growing number of sensor monitoring/recalibrating tools will play an important role in every operation. A dealer must know if the sensoror TPMS was transmitting and operational before a technician touched said vehicle and notify the customer. It's equally important to know that the system remains operational after the service has been completed and communicate that with the consumer.

Then there's the fact that each vehicle manufacturer uses a different everything! From grommets and o-rings to replacement sensors, there are very few, if any, consistencies between domestic and foreign automobiles. To make matters worse, each individual manufacturer has multiple configurations and recalibration procedures within their own models. So the bottom line is nothing is standardized, except for the fact that all valve stem sensors use a special nickel-plated valve core. The special valve core is the only component or procedure that is standard for all valve stem sensors. Dealers will have to refer to the vehicle manufacturer for all TPMS service requirements after that. While this dependence on the car makers and lack of standardization seems troubling, there is good news on the horizonfor TIA members and the industry. General Motors had a representative attend the Tires at Two seminar for TPMS during the Performance Tires & Wheels/SEMA Show and he provided everyone, including myself, with valuable information. He made an excellent point when hecommented that from the standpoint of GM, it's in their best interest for independent tire dealers to have the correct information on TPMS because it ultimately affects customer satisfaction with a new vehicle purchase. TIA is utilizing the contacts within GM to help establish an on-going relationship with all of the new car and sensor manufacturers so we can make sure our members have the proper guidelines for each model year as soon as they are available.

'TIA'snew TPMS Training Program is just the start of the learning processand members who jump on board right away will be better prepared to service the tires and wheels of the future before the "future" is actually here.' byKevin Rohlwing (TIA)

As Joe mentioned, keeping up with technology is vital to our success. Regarding the comments on TPMS and N2, I'd like to emphasize how extremely important understanding the technology really is. In our training classes we always stress the importance of not only know how to do it correctly, but also why a particular process or procedure is necessary. I think we all have little respect for the technician that won't take the time to research and get training for a service, before blasting into it.

Regarding Nitrogen, some of the comments above are correct... N2 has virtually zero moisture and therefore is the perfect companion for TPMS. No matter how many dryers you put after a compressor, within economic reason of what a shop can spend, you will never get close to what Nitrogen can do for you. Additionally, the older generator systems did not create as pure of a gas as they do now. Our newest unit can produce 12 cfm with 99.75% moisture free gas and at a purity of about 99%. You can not afford to buy bottles when this type system is now available. (I.E. The cost per vehicle is only about .50 cents with a new style generator, whereas the cost of bottled N2 can be as high a $4 per vehicle.)

When you discuss why someone would want to sell Nitrogen, think about it as service but more so as a tool to bring the customer back to the shop. What is the number one item that "needs" on going service, although most drivers don't every think about it? The answer is of course tire pressure! So forget the cost of getting into Nitrogen, the customer will come in more often and that gives you the opportunity to sell other services. Additionally, if you don't have Nitrogen available, how will you service vehicles that come in with it? You won't be able to balance, rotate, align, etc and that could put you out of business on some services.

NOTE: "A recent study by the European division of tire maker Bridgestonefound that 93.5 percent of cars in Europe have under-inflated tires, wasting some 2.14 billion gallons of high-priced, polluting fuel every year. Analysts believe that a similar percentage of North Americans are driving around on under-inflated tires as well."

What an opportunity for shops that are on the ball!

GWR has taken the wide approach and has developed simple systems for small shops staring at only about $500, so there is really no boundary to having this service at every shop. We likewise have the most advanced N2 systems on the planet, if your operation wants the fastest and most economical service options.

www.PremierNitrogen.com

Regarding the Road Hazard Protection Programs there were seveal comments, so this may help clarify. Factory direct resale Motor Clubs are greatest value to come along for the shop, since disc brakes. You can use it in a multitude of ways to further enhance the value of your operation and to again, bring the customer back to the shop more often. I constantly try to teach owners they need to use their head and not their hands to make a shop more profitable, Nitrogen and Motor Clubs are some of the newest and easiest ways to do this.

i.e. Some scenarios where our Premier Motor Club "ERA" cards can be used...

1. Mrs. Jones, you have been a loyal customer for 10 years and I want to say thank you again. Additionally I'd like to give you a valuable gift that I believe should be in every drivers wallet or purse, our Premier Motor Club program. I know you drive alone sometimes so I would feel better knowing that you are protected and that you have away to easily get your car towed back to us if any unexpected trouble occurs.

2. Mr. Smith, your brake service today is going to be a little more extensive than we initially discussed, here is what my technicians found after inspection...... I realize this is more than you anticipated so we would like to give you a free gift, to help offset some of the additional costs. Our Premier Motor Club will bring you a full year of protection, just like AAA, but will in addition give you up to $150 worth of tire replacement protection and an additional10 miles of towing. This is our gift to you for your patronage and loyalty over the years.

3. Joe, I understand you are concerned about the repair bill for the new cooling system as it was unexpected. Unfortunately we need to replace the radiator, water pump and hoses to get you back on the road. If we could add in a valuable, unique, vehicle protection program for no additional cost would you be OK with allowing us to do the work today? Our Premier Motor Club offers you services that companies like AAA charge over $100 for, or don't offer at all. Not only does ours have unlimited battery jumps, key lockout service, gas and fluid deliveries, tire repairs and more, it also has additional free towing miles and $150 worth of free tire replacment. And again, we would be included this free of charge with your repair.

4. At the end of the one year term, the customer will get an email letting them know their Premier Motor Club is about to expire and that they should being the vehicle back in for a courtesy inspection and renewal. This gives the shop an additional opportunity to have the car in their shop and to hopefully sell additional service it may need. If nothing is wrong or required at that time, you can simply sell them a new card at what every priced you want to charge.

How can you put a price on this type of marketing support? It would easily be worth ten to twenty times what it costs. Based on the groups participation and support, we would like to offer a special reduced minimum initial order on the activation cards. We normally require a shop be involved with the Nitrogen program or purchase 50 minimum, but for this trial deal we would set up 15 cards at just $8.95 each. This would be a great way to try out the program while investing very little initial money.

www.PremierMotorClub.com

Regarding the TPMS, everyone will be doing this service for years to come, so we all need to understand it. In our classes with have found it imperative to use manuals for the specs on the various sensors, and not to rely on memory. For example, we just concluded a training class arranged for one of the largest UTI center in America, not only for for the students but mainly for the teachers. Most everyone was unfamiliar with the true workings of TPMS and found they really needed this class presented by our certified TPMP teacher from TIA (Tire Industry Association). We extensively use and recommend a particular TIA guide I want all of you to get, before you attempt to dive into this service. Please follow the link and read more about it...

TirePressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Relearn Chart

Everyone must understand that there is a procedure and science to these parts and you can not haphazardly start working on them without training. Of bigger interest is the fact that you will be working on more TPMS than you can imaging in just the next year or less. Why? Take a look at the statistic and you will understand what is just around the corner for shops and service centers. Adding up the installed TPMS systems since the mandate in 2007 to the few miscellaneous models using them before that time and you come up with about ¼ billion sensors. As if that's not staggering enough about ¼ of those will need to be replaced in the next 12 months due to battery failure, they are near or over their 5 year life expectancy. Are you ready? Just using simple math the numbers are $20,000 to $50,000 worth of new sensor business for every shop in America, this year alone.

If you don't have the training and specification sheets, the right learnand reset tools, along with a simple and easily accessible inventory at your finger tips... will you be able to tap into this incredible revenue source? I again like to mention we would be happy to help the members of the group with free training and special prices on all the needed relearn equipment, our new universal TPMS sensors and clone tool, plus our reseal replacement hardware kits.

www.ateqTPMStool.com

I hope this information is useful, please call me if you would like to talk more about any of the above items.

Gary

1(800)266-4497

www.GWRauto.com

[email protected]

P.S. Here are some more of the the technical problems associated withTPMS service.

Since the trend in factory wheels is to eliminate the outer flange for appearance, technicians will have to use tape weights to dynamically balance tire and wheel assemblies. The inside flange hasn't changed (yet) so any computer balancer can easily perform a static balance, but ride disturbances are easier to identify with modern suspensionsystems so the likelihood of comebacks is higher using that approach. As if the slowdown from handling sensors isn't enough, dealerswithout advanced balancing equipment that makes tape weights easier to install will be forced to add a few more minutes to each set offour tires. That's just the start of the equipment list that every dealer will have to follow in order to handle TPMS. For instance, the growing number of sensor monitoring/recalibrating tools will play an important role in every operation. A dealer must know if the sensoror TPMS was transmitting and operational before a technician touched said vehicle and notify the customer. It's equally important to know that the system remains operational after the service has been completed and communicate that with the consumer.

Then there's the fact that each vehicle manufacturer uses a different everything! From grommets and o-rings to replacement sensors, there are very few, if any, consistencies between domestic and foreign automobiles. To make matters worse, each individual manufacturer has multiple configurations and recalibration procedures within their own models. So the bottom line is nothing is standardized, except for the fact that all valve stem sensors use a special nickel-plated valve core. The special valve core is the only component or procedure that is standard for all valve stem sensors. Dealers will have to refer to the vehicle manufacturer for all TPMS service requirements after that. While this dependence on the car makers and lack of standardization seems troubling, there is good news on the horizonfor TIA members and the industry. General Motors had a representative attend the Tires at Two seminar for TPMS during the Performance Tires & Wheels/SEMA Show and he provided everyone, including myself, with valuable information. He made an excellent point when hecommented that from the standpoint of GM, it's in their best interest for independent tire dealers to have the correct information on TPMS because it ultimately affects customer satisfaction with a new vehicle purchase. TIA is utilizing the contacts within GM to help establish an on-going relationship with all of the new car and sensor manufacturers so we can make sure our members have the proper guidelines for each model year as soon as they are available.

'TIA'snew TPMS Training Program is just the start of the learning processand members who jump on board right away will be better prepared to service the tires and wheels of the future before the "future" is actually here.' byKevin Rohlwing (TIA)

Great info Gary what do you have starting at $500?

Great info Gary what do you have starting at $500?

Hi Dave,

Sorry for not writing yesterday, I was having a problem loging in to the forum.

As to N2 systems, you have a range of between $500 (entry level) and about $5,000 (top of the line). I would like to send you several but I have attached one here. Please send me your email address and I will send the additional info you will want to review.

Thanks,

Gary

[email protected]

Email me

(Please let me know if aren't able to see this atachment.)

N2 Single Filling Station (Kit).pdf