Quantcast

Grammarly Writing Support

The #1 Writing Tool

Grammarly Writing Support

So 8% is on all top line sales, correct? So if the shop generates 1M in sales, the service writer makes a gross 80k? How does the vacation fit in there? How is that and other time off paid? Depends on your sales, but 8% seems a little high.

Why not lower the % and pay a salary plus a % of sales for days worked or the week. 

Please tell me that you take into account profit margins for parts and for labor when paying your service writer 8% of gross sales?  

If you do not, your service writer could very well be making more money than you. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DUFRESNES said:

I believe in taking care of my employees.   I was gone most of last month and they took care of business.  They have to make at least on dealer parts ranges from 35 -54%.  Parts houses from from 45-65%  My ase master techs make flat 35-38% flat hour, Lube techs 15-20 hourly with 5% commission.   I have always wanted a beautiful building with lots of parking.  We have a remodelled old 2 bay shop.  We have no lunch room, but the employees have been with me a long time.   We have a running bonus from 50 - 500 per month per employee.  We all work together.  Not to say that it can change at any time as you must know.  We make well  over 1 million in sales and our net profit shows well  in our small building.  What part of the country is your shop.  If you have any questions, private message me. 

Taking care of your employees is the most underrated asset in this business.  Most guys will follow you anywhere, if you've treated them right.

We discuss all big decisions and changes.  Because when everyone is on board... it's just a free flowing process to get things in and out. 

That being said, the business should be making enough to expand and grow as well as having well paid employees.  A delicate balance that takes some time to figure out and coordination from everyone to keep going.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We approached this problem a little differently. Our shop sits within 1.5 miles of 12 different new car dealerships. They all pay between 8 and 10 percent of sales. They also have some customer satisfaction goals that they need to meet. We pay hourly with overtime and then a percent of sales. Right now both of our service writers are paid $20 per hour. They need to hit $15000 in sales per week to start the incentive. They get 1.25% at $15000 and it increases .25% at every increase of $2500 in sales and tops out at 2.5%. For holiday pay or vacation pay they just get their hourly pay. With this system the writers help each other out through the whole process .

Yes. One writer works Monday through Friday, 42.5 hrs and the other writer works Tuesday through Saturday 42 hrs. We pay our people weekly and all incentives are payed weekly.

Since no one answered your question, I will give it ago, how about you take his pay for the three weeks prior to his vacation, use that to generate a daily average pay at that time, then pay him that daily average for his days off.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      There are many things to consider when creating a marketing plan. Among them are establishing a budget, what forms of media should be used, and whether traditional advertising, such as TV, radio, and print, is still relevant.  And of course, how much should be allocated to social media and digital advertising?
      All the above are essentials to any marketing plan. However, the first step is ensuring that you have a healthy workplace and that your employees understand your company’s culture and the overall mission and vision. 
      We all know that happy employees create happy customers. No form of advertising can overcome a toxic workplace with unhappy employees. If your employees are not creating an amazing customer experience, your marketing plan will not work.
      Advertising and marketing may bring in customers, but the people in your company creating an amazing customer experience will be the most important component of your marketing plan.  It’s the customer experience that sells work and gives the customer a reason to return. 
      Creating an amazing employee experience, which creates an amazing customer experience, is also the most cost-effective part of your marketing plan. In fact, it cost next to nothing.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Digital Vehicle Inspections (DVI) are becoming more and more common these days. I think this is a good thing. 
      What I am concerned about is how the the DVI report is being used.  I am not a fan of sending the digital report to the customer to be used in place of the service advisor speaking and explaining the results of the report first.  Would a doctor send the MRI, lab tests, and x-rays directly to the patient without the doctor first discussing the results?  In fact, there are times when the doctor never shows the report results. 
      In my opinion, the DVI is a tool, and it's not meant to take the place of good old fashion person to person discussion, which is called customer service.
      Agree? Disagree?  

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and shop tour with Lee and Kelli Weatherby, Accurate Automotive, Mesa, AZ. Find out how they are expanding their fleet business. Lee and Kelli Weatherby, Accurate Automotive, Mesa. AZ. Previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points 
      Started business in 1994 11 lifts, 16 bays R & D- rip off and duplicate ideas Pivot to recruiting fleet business- keep car count steady and allowed them to work as a team with new energy. Who is servicing fleets in their area? Are they just accepting what they are receiving with repair work? Relationships- door to door building connections in person What are you offering that will tip the scale to your favor? Put on their shoes and address their needs.  “Friends Serving Friends”  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Dealing with BAD Customer Service: How to Handle It When You Expand Your Business
    • By carmcapriotto
      TechForce Foundation is a national charity committed to powering technical careers so communities thrive. We are LIVE at AAPEX 2022 with members of the TechForce Foundation to discuss their critical role in engaging with the next generation of technicians . Lisa Evans, Chief Development Officer Keishawn Smith, Student and Advocate for TechForce Jennifer Maher, Executive Director techforce.org Key Talking Points
      The TechForce Network is an online social community and career hub that connects GenZ and Millennials in a way they want to connect – using the TechForce app or online network to find information, explore the career, discover schools, get scholarships, find apprenticeships and jobs, and flex their talents – all in one place.  TechForce collaborates with every willing school, company, association, and nonprofit across all sectors to identify solutions that help future and working techs navigate the career pathway, successfully getting them from pipeline to placement. Food, shelter, and transportation- all involved in the automotive industry Over the next five years, auto, diesel, collision, and aviation combined will need 1 million new technicians to keep up with demand. Last year alone, our tech schools only graduated in auto 29,000 students Networking at AAPEX- CEO’s, executives in corporate companies, manufacturers etc  TechForce was able to give out 1.6 million in scholarships last year and 17 million total since its inception  It’s important for youths that their parents are supportive and help them reach their goals Do you have a career map? To level up? Younger generations want a career path. TechForce provides students & instructors with free, VIP access to races, rallies, shows, & events where they’ll meet employers & be surrounded by the passion of the industry The TechForce Mobile STEM Career Center is a traveling hands-on exhibit designed to engage Gen Z and help them discover the rewarding career path as professional technicians in the transportation field. Part of TechForce’s national workforce development initiative, the Center can be deployed for indoor or outdoor activities and can scale from several hands-on activities to more than a dozen. It features a built-in exterior video wall as well as retractable awnings and two large free-standing shade covers. Technicians need to get certified, trained, to get the right education, for them to be built up the right way ‘Life Happens Grants’- #1 application is for car repair, #2 is for tire replacements Diversity and Inclusion- less than 3% are female technicians, and 52% of the total population is female
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners: Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR. Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      Back in the 1990s, some shop owner's feared that fuel injection, 100 mile spark plugs, the elimination of the Distributor cap, rotor and extended fluid services would be our demise. But, that didn't happen. 
      Now I hear many in our industry state that "There is no needed work on an electric vehicle, they are problem free." 
      My opinion, let's not fall into thinking that the EV car will run forever of even for years without needed service.  The EV still has tires, suspension, brakes, and a whole new area of opportunities. It will be different, but there will be a need for the Automotive Technicians and for repair shops.
      Your thoughts? 

• Similar Tagged Content

• Our Sponsors