Quantcast

Intercom between office and shop solutions?

We don't have direct access or a window between the shop and the office. One has to walk outside the front door to reach the bays. Does anyone use a shop intercom system they can recommend to speed up communications? I have searched all over amazon and google but can't seem to find a good commercial use product.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have. Scott

• Like 1

Our intercom uses our phone system. Once you install an intercom, you will wonder how you got along without it. If I need someone, I simply intercom them to come to the front counter.

Sometimes it sounds like the dispatcher at the fire dept. and we believe in adding humor to our day. IE: Jaime to the front, Jaime to the front, please. Brad to the front, Brad to the front, please. Uncle Buck to the front, Uncle Buck to the front, please. Engine 5, Ladder 9, Rescue 1, Engine 4. This usually gets a laugh from any waiters in the office.

Sometimes it can sound like a grocery store intercom: Tire repair in Lane 2, Pressure check in Lane 3. Please notice the flashing blue light across the street and be glad it's not for you!!!

• 4 months later...

Be careful with AutoVitals. They have a 1 year contract that you can not get out of. So if you don't like it or find a bigger better deal your are locked.

I used them since January and then I discovered Bolt On Technologies last month. I still have to pay AutoVitals. I think it is a crappy thing to do to people.

• Like 1

Be careful with AutoVitals. They have a 1 year contract that you can not get out of. So if you don't like it or find a bigger better deal your are locked.

I used them since January and then I discovered Bolt On Technologies last month. I still have to pay AutoVitals. I think it is a crappy thing to do to people.

You should do your homework before buying such a thing. It is not unusual to come across this, we use one called Fasttrak and it was a year long. We have surpassed it and are continuing but it was no big deal. There is allot of setup and training that goes into some of these things and to have a customer by it then dump it a month later is not cost effective and does not give it a chance.

But, back on point, we have a paging system as part of our phone system and they also have a phone out in the bay to intercom call the front. Our techs are not allowed to come up front every time they want to say something, this wastes allot of time and makes productivity go down. The are required to send a message via fasttrak, google hangouts, email or call on phone.

Edited by lmcca
  • Like 1

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your story about us! I don't want to distract from the topic of the post, though. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything. 610-400-1019

• 3 years later...

Beginning the first of August, we purchased hand held radios (link attached) and for the small investment, introduced them to our team.  We have some guys using the earpiece and others using handheld mics.  We have worked with each other on radio etiquette and honestly, I can't imagine not having them.  It has brought our 10,000 square ft shop down into a single room...the communication has never been better...and yes we do have fun with them.  Thousands of steps saved and we keep finding new ways they are saving time.

Retevis RT21 Two Way Radio Rechargeable 2 Way Radios UHF FRS VOX Emergency Security Long Range Walkie Talkies with Secret Service Earpiece (10 Pack)  from Amazon.

Edited by rubberbroker

We have a multi line phone system with extensions in the shop that also has an intercom feature. Using the intercom is quick and easy. All phones also have a PA feature by tapping the PA button you send your amplified voice to 3 bull horns located in the shop and two locations outside, everybody can here the message and respond as needed. This has worked great for us.